An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am A Conservative Republican Because...

ironmonk

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 24 2004, 01:46 AM'] Saying just kidding doesnt make something charitable, or fall under Mother Teresa's advice of leaving everyone feeling better. I don't really care, but someday somebody might, and someday somebody might take action.

Peace,

Rich [/quote]
blah blah blah. calm down. argh. if someone's going to take action against me for a harmless joke, bring it on. besides, your attack on Bush for mispronouncing words wasn't exactly charitable ;)

pAx

I'm with Aloysius on this one. He wasn't taking a cheap shot at anyone, in my view.

Edited by XIX

Aloysius you and Crusader1234 are quite the match..lol on this subject though i am a republican through and through. Although i think many democrats hearts are in the right place their actions and philosophy are not.

crusader1234

Democrats vs Republicans :duel:

[quote]blah blah blah. calm down. argh. if someone's going to take action against me for a harmless joke, bring it on. besides, your attack on Bush for mispronouncing words wasn't exactly charitable

pAx [/quote]

by the way, I never said Bush in my statement... haha. I know it wasnt charitable though, and I'm not actually mad or anything

Mary's Knight, La

pedro

it's fine for political party and faith to be intertwined if you look at what he was saying:

Given: He is catholic
the church has certain views on morality (which are in fact
correct)
He has certain views on government
He has certain view on economics

Arguements:
if he is to be catholic he must use the church's views on morality
as his own (no questions here i'm sure)
conservative republican views on morality match the church's
and hence his
conservative republican views on economics match his
conservative republican views on government match his

conclusion
conservative republican is the right party for him to belong to

no where did he say catholics must believe in trickle down economics...
what he said is he believes in trickle down economcs and is lucky that the same party believes in that also shares catholic morality because otherwise he would be forced to vote for someone with different economic views if they had the right views on morality esp with regards to life...

megamattman1

"because he believes in God, he is a conservative republican".

Pedro's point about mixing faith and politics still exists only he said faith instead of God which is basically the same thing.

That God statement is actually unclear. Any party can make that statement yet he put it on his list. So either he's putting pointless statements on his list or he's insinuating that to believe in God means you should be a conservative republican. I think we all know he was not putting pointless statements on there. So what does it mean to be a conservative republican?

ironmonk musta meant that because he believes in God, and to believe in God means to be prolife, and the republican party platform is prolife, in that respect he is a normative conservative republican. Or is he implying that in order to believe in God you must be a conservative republican? Pedro was simply saying that you don't have to be a republican per se to be prolife since ironmonks first thread is ambiguous.

ironmonk should clarify what he means by "because he believes in God, he is a conservative republican".

Edited by megamattman1

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 24 2004, 07:00 PM'] Democrats vs Republicans :duel:

by the way, I never said Bush in my statement... haha. I know it wasnt charitable though, and I'm not actually mad or anything [/quote]
"Books are wonderful things. They often have very pretty pictures."

--George W. Bush

:rolling: :haha:

Megamattman,

Mega points to you for actually getting my point. Mary's Knight, its not as cut and dried as you would like to think. Republican does not equal Christian, or even prolife. I've argued it many times before, and I will keep pointing it out until people quite leaping to that assumption.

peace...

megamattman1

[quote]I believe in teaching people how to fish while I give them a fish. I also know human nature, therefore I also believe 2 Thess. 3:10
I believe that less government is better.[/quote]

Are you for the government giving the fish or for private people giving the fish?

[quote]
I know there is God
God does not change with time
The media distorts the truth to the point of lying
I believe that God needs to be the cornerstone of what political leaders base their decisions on
I believe that there is no such thing as a white lie
I believe that if a man cannot run his own household, then he should not be running a country
I believe that if a man contradicts himself constantly, he cannot be trusted for running a cash register let alone a country
[/quote]

Remember to give your opponents the best light possible. The fact that you say things like you believe in God and don't believe in lies etc and are in a essence insinuating other parties don't follow these values only shows your bias. Lies and atheism and such are not on most non-republican platfoms.

crusader1234

[quote]I love when we mix politics and religion like this! I am a Catholic, therefore I must believe in trickle down economic theory. Why? Its the only christian belief possible.

Give me a break.

peace... [/quote]

I totally agree - Republican doesnt equal good Catholic.

I'm republican because of our stupid two party system that betrays democracy and efficiency.

I am not conservative, becuase I believe things should change.

Bush wants to get rid of overtime compensation for firefighters. That means he's an utter jerk and has no respect for what we do, like so many anti-labor republicans.

Until we disallow contributions for campaigns from special interests and revamp our system so it does not reward having rich friends, we'll be under the yoke of special interests.

Thank God for unions. (yes, a republican is saying that)

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I think the statement that he believes in God refers to the fact that many [b]far[/b]-left activists would like to see God erased from our culture.

And yes, the leprechaun you are staring at on the left is indeed, just as you thought, awesome.

Edited by thedude

I don't have time to read everthing or reply to everything... I'm on a business trip.

Pay attention to context people. Look at the WHOLE first post. NOT ONLY one line.

BECAUSE OF ALL OF THOSE THINGS... I am a conservative rep.

If someone is not pro-life, then they are not a real Christian. They miss the big picture.

If someone votes for someone that is anti-life when someone is running against them is pro-life, then if they claim to be Catholic, they understand very little of what it means to be Catholic.

For the rest of my comments - READ EACH BULLET - CONSIDER THEM TOGETHER.

TAKING ONE LINE OUT OF ABOUT 20 AND BASING A STATEMENT OFF OF IT IS FALICY... AKA FOOLISH...

but what else am I to expect from liberal democrats... I'm sorry, it's par for the course.

God Bless,
ironmonk