An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress For Religious

Andrea348

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jun 30 2004, 12:05 PM'] For instance The Sisters of Life, Nashville Dominicans, Slaves of the Immaculate, and a few others. As far as male orders go: The Institute of Christ the King, FSSP, and Servants Minor of St. Francis, and a group of Carmelites up in Scranton. Low and behold, all these orders have people pooring into them. [/quote]
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you mean the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary? I hate to tell you, but they're Feeneyites.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ+

Habits are my absolute favorite type of dress! I want a "flying nun", well, not very obtrusive, but VERY traditional. I want to join the Carmelites or the Poor Clares because their Habits are so awesome and beautiful! I've seen a few Sisters at my parish and on many retreats. A lot of them wear the modified habits, or lay clothes. I've met a few with slightly traditional habits though... I absolutely ADORE the Habit and I want one to call my own someday! They really do represent the befiefs and morals of the person wearing it, it's a witness to today's society. A lot of people are nicer and more "polite" when they are around a priest or Sister in Habit or Collar. That's all my babbling for tonight. I'm tired.

God Bless and Mary Protect...
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

FutureNunJMJ +

I love habits and i can't wait to get mine!!!
[quote]like the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, who I will be joining (God willing.)
[/quote]
andrea when are you entering?

Sista2be:

hopefully next August (2005) if I can find a way to pay off my 20,000 in student loans.

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Jul 4 2004, 07:33 PM'] Sista2be:

hopefully next August (2005) if I can find a way to pay off my 20,000 in student loans. [/quote]
Just pray... and work at it too, but be sure to pray. One time, a friend of mine was telling me a story about someone he knew (I think or he may have just heard this story) who was looking to enter a religious order, but didn't know how to pay off his debts. So, he was in the back of a Church praying, when a little old lady came up to him and said, "God told me I should help you. How much do you need?" Of course, he was dumbstruck, and blurted out the amount. She wrote him a check for that amount, and he was able to enter the order.

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Jul 4 2004, 09:36 PM'] She wrote him a check for that amount, and he was able to enter the order. [/quote]
Wow, that is awesome. I've heard success stories through the Labore Foundation which I hope to try to use. This one girl I read about on the internet was hoping to enter the Nashville Dominicans on August 14th and through the use of the Labore Foundation she had them paid off on August 7th which I might add is the vigil to the feast of St. DOMINIC!!!!

I try not to worry about it too much because if God wills it, they will be paid off.

FaustinaVianney

The Nashville sister that I know whose loans were miraculously paid off on the vigil of St Dominic wasn't through the Laboure Foundation, it was through a priest friend. She had used the LF, but still had a significant amount of student loans. She did a 54-day Rosary novena whichw as supposed to end on the feast of St Dominic or the vigil, which she didn't even plan, she just started it. On the Feast of the vigil a priest-friend called her up and asked where she was on the student loans. She told him it was a rather significant amount and he told her not to worry about that he would pay it. What an AWESOME friend and a true gift from the Blessed Virgin. So, don't put all your eggs into one basket, but do many different things and pray, pray, pray!! I think that it is very humbling to ask others for $20-30 thousand dollars, so that you can enter, so don't let the Grappin' trick you into not getting the word out and begging for money! Tell as many people as possible about your situation because the more people that know about it the more oppotunities you have of someone donating and helping you out. I, too, am in the same boat as you. I just graduated in May, so I have a year to pay some and ask for donations. I would like to have enterd this august, but I haven't been Catholic long enough.

I definately agree on not putting all your eggs in one basket. I'm trying to think of as many ideas as I can on ways to get money. I'm going to brainstorm ideas until I get an acceptance letter, then put the plan into action.

Mary's Knight, La

i'm coming in really late on the topic but i agree with Cmom, of course it doesn't help that there are nuns at my old parish that don't wear the habit and are occasionally of questionable orthodoxy hmmm i think there is a possibility of a relationship in this case.

not wearing a habit doesn't mean the person isn't faithful to the church but if one isn't faithful to the church then the only reason they have to wear the habit is to deliberately be deceptive.

I have to say habits all the way. Not only because of the visible witness but it really follows the vow of poverty. I really like the traditional habits like Mother Angelica Poor Clares.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand the reasoning behind wearing habits, but if this is so, should'nt Christians all wear something that shows that they too are separated for Christ? If wearing a habit is supposed to be a visible sign that people can come to them, then why aren't other CHristians also told to wear something like this telling the world that they are Christian and ready to witness? Anyways, just wondering what you thought about that.

I think priests should wear black (unless their franciscans, etc.)

I think nuns should always wear a habit

• 3 weeks later...
Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Some Religous Order's don't wear habbit's...they wear what is donated to them...I believe the Appostle's of Interior Life do this.

Ave Maria,

Andy

I agree with cmom. And I also dislike the "modified". The nuns that I have seen in them are wearing short skirts and relatively see through blouses.

If I am going to be a Bride of Christ, I want to wear my wedding dress all the time.

I also dislike how priests take of their collars.

Don't they look beautiful in their wedding dresses? :)

[img]http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/Links/SrClair%20bus.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Prayer/The_Contemplative_Dimension/Photos/Novice_Praying.jpg[/img]