An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress For Religious

Andrea348

I am not sure but he may have...most likely have. But i think Cassocks need to make a comeback just because of how cool they are and how distingusishable..and its much easier to deterimine the Church one belongs too.

Crusader, I completely agree about priests wearing cassocks. Last night, I was watching The Song of Bernadette, and the priest in there wears a cassock. He just looks so professional... so respectable, ya know? My priest friend wore a cassock on his European retreat. The cassock really distinguishes the priest.

We recently had a priest come and say Mass at our school. He wore no collar, and underneath his chasuble he was wearing a polo shirt and jeans. This made me so very sad because he should be proud to be a priest, not trying to dress like everyone else. Oh well.

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Sep 24 2004, 10:49 PM'] I am not sure but he may have...most likely have. But i think Cassocks need to make a comeback just because of how cool they are and how distingusishable..and its much easier to deterimine the Church one belongs too. [/quote]
Well, in some cases it is. The Orthodox still wear (some do, although I know an Orthodox priest who dresses like a diocesan priest) the black robe. But I dont think they have the "sash" around their waist. To the untrained eye, someone might think they are Catholic, if Catholic Priests went back to wearing a cassocks.

But, yes, I agree, it would be nice to see them wear their cassocks again. But clothes dont make the priest. I would rather have a priest who says a devout Mass, and who lives a holy life, than some bad priest who wears a cassock. Just my thoughts. God bless!

daugher-of-Mary

Some Eastern Rite priests still wear cassocks. It's very easy to tell they are not Roman Rite from the [b]large[/b] cross worn with the cassock. ;)

Hi Drew. I agree completely that it is better to have a holy priest who wears clerics than a bad priest who wears a cassock, but that is one of the best things about the cassock--not only can you tell he is a priest; you can tell he is an orthodox and holy priest if he wears a cassock because he is obviously traditional (orthodox) and he is also living his vocation as fully as possible (at least in dress--an indication of his holiness).

• 9 months later...

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 27 2004, 09:37 PM']This probably sounds harsh but sisters without habits simply seem to be just professional church ladies, instead of consecrated brides of Christ. They look and sould little different than the little old ladies I see at daily Mass.

If you are going to be a consecrated bride of Christ, then in public you should look like it.
[right][snapback]240153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YES, YES, YES....

My thought is you have said to Jesus I choose you over the world. So then stop looking like the world.

The other argument they have is that when they wear the habit, the concern is that some people get offended. Maybe these people need to be offended. A habit is a reminder of God. If they are offended I know why...guilty conscience.

We had a sister who wore a portion of the habit, she did not wear her veil. One day she did I told her I thought she was beautiful and I asked her why she didn't wear her veil everyday. She said she only wore it on "special occasions" I asked her, "you don't consider being a bride of Christ (everyday) a special occasion?" She avoided me after that.

Edited by ofpheritup

Personally, I wish every religious would wear thier habit. A nun said that even the secular world has them, policeman, doctors, firefighters, in public, so you can go to them if you are ever in need.

The same goes with the religious. I've heard to many stories from priests and the religioius that didn't have someone who needed them or thier advice at the time they least expected it....usually coming from a movie or the supermarket.

And honestly, still discerning, seeing a women in habit makes my heart swell with joy.

But I see alot of children with thier parents and can see the same thing for me there.

Discerning and trusting. :)

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Jul 5 2004, 05:27 PM']I definately agree on not putting all your eggs in one basket.  I'm trying to think of as many ideas as I can on ways to get money.  I'm going to brainstorm ideas until I get an acceptance letter, then put the plan into action.
[right][snapback]249511[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know about the Laboure Foundation. If you have come up with any other ideas I (we) would love to hear about them. I never turn away friendly advice. PLEASE SHARE.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 6 2004, 10:51 AM']Not to change the subject or anything, but I was born in Mapleshade, NJ and raised in Wilmington, DE.  Both my parents were born and raised in Philly (Philadelphia). :cool:
[right][snapback]343612[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ask them to go eat a pizza, pretzel, italian ice (chocolate) and a Philly coagulated milk Steak for me. I'M STUCK IN GEORGIA. Not exactly stuck since I moved me here. But you know what I mean.

I was raised in Southwest Philly.

Edited by ofpheritup

[quote name='Jake Huether' date='Jul 1 2004, 05:48 PM']The IVE (Instituto del Verbo Encarnado - the Institute of the Word Incarnate). 

These priests and nuns are A1.  We have a few at a nearby Parish, and when they consecrate the Host, it is Immaculate!  They hold Jesus up so proudly and reverently for a good long while.  I'm not sure what the vocations to this particular Order are, but the Order itself is awesome.
[right][snapback]245291[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree, I love IVE. They're in 2 locations nearby and I volunteer with them sometimes. They're absolutely amazing. I think they're a good order for our times, especially. As for habits, I'm partial to the Dominicans ^_^ and I love seeing nuns and sisters in habits. They are so beautiful!

I am all for the habit!!! I was in a community that wore the full traditional Carmelite habit, and I loved putting it on every day. When I left, I missed my habit sooo much. The community I am with now wants to wear the full Carmelite habit also, as soon as we get our bishops permission!!!
Though, not being able to wear it has given me different perspectives also! The community I was with before (I won't mention the order specifically so as not to detract) was pretty snobbish about the habit, looking down at religious who didn't wear one or wore one that was modified. Going so far as to call them "incognito nuns" as a put down of sorts. I myself did it in jest too. I realize now how wrong that is. Yes, I think the habit is super important, and should be worn by religious, but I think we need to be careful about our motives behind wearing it and also about how we treat other religious who don't happen to wear it. I have met many older religious whose communities have taken off the habit, and therefore out of obedience cannot wear it. It breaks their hearts, but they obey! I also don't think our motive for wearing the habit or cassock should be about it being "cool." It's not about being cool, but about being signs of something greater than ourselves namely the reality of heaven (and for priests- the person of Christ!).

KimberlyAnneImelda

I'm totally for the habit, as well! They look so beautiful, but I often wonder if I don't give other orders enough of a chance to look into them when they don't wear the habit. But, at the same time I can't imagine being a sister without wearing a habit! Awesome tradition! Plus, Dominican habits rocks! (especially the Nashville Dominicans and Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist) ;) So pretty! :)

Edited by KimberlyAnneImelda

one thing at the Norbertine Abbey is that for mass when "outsiders" come they wear their habits but if it's hot outside they wear shorts and a shirt, while others like to wear the habit or clerics at least.

I know if I was ever to become a norbertine I'd wear the habit daily, if it was 150 degrees or -15 degrees. If I was a priest (that just wore clerics) I would wear clerics no matter what.

Period.

[quote name='KimberlyAnneImelda' date='Jul 22 2005, 09:22 PM']I'm totally for the habit, as well! They look so beautiful, but I often wonder if I don't give other orders enough of a chance to look into them when they don't wear the habit. But, at the same time I can't imagine being a sister without wearing a habit!   [right][snapback]655204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I thought the same thing and I did look at a few communities that do not wear a habit. My struggle has been my age, I am 47. There were and are communities that have no problem with my age that would gladly take me. BUT I CAN'T DO IT.

I have chosen Jesus, deliberately and with great thought. I will not settle. I see it this way and please remember this is only my opinion.

I have met women and men who are married but will not wear a wedding ring. When I hear of something like that I wonder "what's going on?"

To me the habit issue is the same thing. You have "stepped out of the world so why do you still want to look like it?" Where is your committment? Where is your heart?

Edited by ofpheritup