An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness, Politics, and Guns

little2add

55 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

not supported by the science and art of psychiatry, psychology,  sociology, nor criminology.

the facts:

Florida’s state social services agency had previously investigated Nikolas Cruz, long before he set foot on the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday and allegedly gunned down 17 people.

The Florida Department of Children and Families opened a file on Cruz in 2016 after being alerted to his Snapchat posts showing him cutting his arms and saying he wanted to buy a gun, according to a state report first obtained by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Agency investigators visited Cruz at his home and questioned him, ultimately identifying him as a “vulnerable adult due to mental illness” including depression, autism, and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, which he was medicated for.

So they clearly saw that the boy was troubled and potentially vulnerable or even dangerous. But the mother provided an explanation, saying that he’d recently broken up with his girlfriend and was upset. In finding that the “final level of risk is low,” the investigator cited that the boy was in counseling, under the care of his mother and taking medication for ADHD.

conclusion: this boy was insane.

Before Nikolas Cruz carried out his mass killing at a Florida high school this week, police responded to his home 39 times over a seven-year period, according to disturbing new documents.

Details about the calls to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office — obtained from police records by CNN — were not immediately available and it was impossible to determine if all involved Cruz.

But the nature of the emergencies at his Parkland home included “mentally ill person,” “child/elderly abuse,” “domestic disturbance” and “missing person,” KTLA reported.

And a schoolmate, Brody Speno, told the network that cops were called to Cruz’s home “almost every other week.”

“Something wasn’t right about him,” Speno told CNN. “He was off.”

Speno said he knew Cruz from elementary school and described him as “an evil kid” who was “always getting in trouble.”

Cruz — who posted images of himself on Instagram posing with guns and knives — has confessed to killing 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and made an alarming online comment about a recent mass shooting.

“Man I can do so much better,” he wrote.

I’ve sat across the table from a couple of dozen murderers. A couple were actual serial killers. Most were drunk or high when they committed their crimes. Many were mentally disabled, especially silly with fetal alcohol. This Cruz kid has classic signs of that in his facial development. 

GreenScapularedHuman
1 hour ago, little2add said:

the facts

There is nothing you wrote that contradicts or rebuts what I wrote. Even if somehow it did (which it doesn't) this is a single incident... as such this is very likely an informal logic fallacy of 'faulty generalization'.

its not insane to indscrimaly kill innocent school children on a whim?

in·sane

inˈsān/

adjective

in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

GreenScapularedHuman
11 minutes ago, little2add said:

its not insane to indscrimaly kill innocent school children on a whim?

in·sane

inˈsān/

adjective

in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

Since you have not yet contradicted or rebutted what I wrote thus far... I will briefly comment on the word 'insane'. The word 'insane' is an older term https://www.etymonline.com/word/insane from the 1500's and I can very assure you vocabulary, meanings, and science has progressed much further since then. Now the word 'insane' is NOT a medical term and its use in law is almost completely a legal finding rather than a medical one. As a result of being a more legal definition and usage now the legal definition is actually very apt... it means (in a very simplified summary) significant impediment to reasonably judge and act between right and wrong. In the United States (perhaps regretfully) the 'insanity defense' consists of about 1% of all prosecuted cases and is successful very rarely... https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crime/trial/faqs.html Which to many they don't understand the very high level of proof and extremeness which is required... it is very possible that someone with profound schizophrenia having a serious psychotic episode is not legally insane.

So to put it very simply insane doesn't necessarily mean mentally ill, because it is not a medical term, and very certainly mentally ill persons are very likely not insane.

But IF we want to go back and use outdated terms to try to explain something we have far better understanding of now... we could say that they are 'mad' https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crime/trial/faqs.html or perhaps even 'possessed'.

10 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

But IF we want to go back and use outdated terms to try to explain something we have far better understanding of now... we could say that they are 'mad' https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crime/trial/faqs.html or perhaps even 'possessed'.

Accidentally posted the wrong link there. My apologizes. A slight on my part.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/mad

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
5 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I’ve sat across the table from a couple of dozen murderers. A couple were actual serial killers. Most were drunk or high when they committed their crimes. Many were mentally disabled, especially silly with fetal alcohol. This Cruz kid has classic signs of that in his facial development. 

Yeah the face I think also shows signs of what sort of narcotic the mother was on also or pot, if she was an addict. Maybe to help mums and bubs off to the best start we could open up kind of rehabs specieficaly for pregnant mothers. That would be great I think.

Mass shootings is a societal issue.    It is NOT just guns or money spent on mental health.  

What is it in our society that encourages damaged or offended  people to “act out” by killing lots of innocents?

Is it done “with guns” simply because guns are available, not done “because guns”are available?   Cruz had issues for a long time.   The Columbine kids planned for awhile.    Would the outcome have been much different if they decided to drive a car through a school assembly or set the school on fire?

We've had guns for centuries.  We haven’t had mass killings like this though.   The only reason why 13 people died at Columbine is because the bombs they put on the school propane tanks did not go off and would have killed hundreds.  

Politicians and the media are getting votes and ad dollars by making this about how the killings are done and we aren’t addressing why it’s being done.  We won’t come up with viable answers if we fail to ask the right questions.  

Edited by Anomaly

Mass shootings is a societal issue.    It is NOT just guns or money spent on mental health.  

What is it in our society that encourages damaged or offended  people to “act out” by killing lots of innocents?

Is it done “with guns” simply because guns are available, not done “because guns”are available?   Cruz had issues for a long time.   The Columbine kids planned for awhile.    Would the outcome have been much different if they decided to drive a car through a school assembly or set the school on fire?

We've had guns for centuries.  We haven’t had mass killings like this though.   The only reason why 12 people died at Columbine is because the bombs they put on the school propane tanks did not go off and would have killed hundreds.  

Politicians and the media are getting votes and ad dollars by making this about how the killings are done and we aren’t addressing why it’s being done.  

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I like how someone stated about environment impacting mental health. I'm unwell if I'm not around people that are christian and of the same moral beliefs as me when it comes to idols and sin being a no no. And not only social environment but housing as well, heaping all the mentally unwell who can't manage work in ghettos is like living in a powder keg with everyone about to explode, in any kind of flats really due to social anxieties its easier to get along with two neighbours rather then manage 25-300. You have the social phobia but also the need to be around others, its extremely confusing.

Its very important to help sufferers of mental illness to be independent and not co dependent on another or criminal activity in the matters of the basics of living which when attained create a sense of achievement and belonging to the working world.

Spread government housing through private flats and suburbs and not heap them all together and the criminal activity would be reduced I rekon by at least 30% as the poor are spread amongst the population and the general population naturally overtime takes more responsibility for them instead of just govnt services, but in the case of murder Jesus says it stems from anger.

U.S.A, CANADA, N.Z and AUSTRALIA all heap the poor in the same areas which is not healthy for them and the rich hypocrits with an allergy to the poverty that is caused by there greed staring them in the face so they deliberately isolate them and make them rely on each other and become worse then what they actually are so they can feel safe in there conscience that there better then the poor like the pharisee and the tax collector in the temple. Capitalist PIGS! and most of the middle class kinda agree with the pigs coz there earning a bucket. Mix and match suburbs and flats, poor, lower, middle and upper. Well to do snobs want nothing to do with the poor, and hence the poor revolts with crime. I'd be angry too if no one loved me enough to care about my social environment, economic environment etc and or the general society thought I wasn't worth trying to understand and help to get well. But everyone's got there problems hey and life's hard, maybe we are all a little unwell and need healing so we can help each other.

SaintOfVirtue

I think it is the systematic devaluation of human life coupled with the increased focus on one's self as being the center of the universe that has developed the circumstances leading to these events.  In the cases I am familiar with the killer's intent is to bring focus to himself; to be "remembered in infamy." Ergo, for the killers, these crimes are more about how many the victims are vice who the victims are.  Guns are their weapon of choice but even in countries without guns mass violence occurs. The same day as the Sandy Hook massacre twenty three children were stabbed and slashed by a man with a knife in china.  Take away guns and you only change the weapon that would be used for the violence.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yeah your correct virtue. Capitalism and communism sux. 

Australia has masses of amounts of charitable organisations, ample govt funded social services for the poor and mentally ill, but killings and violence still happen in the government housing sectors but for some reason we don't get the mass killings, yet anyway, socially we are still very democratic and it isn't as clicky with haves and have nots including something as simple as having a girlfriend or not. As far as I'm aware the u.s goes into craze mania and Australia is kinda had that as well in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s but since the towers went down we have become a bit more prudent in our choices of who and what to follow or believe in so to speak and with the girlfriend thing because u.s was predominately Protestant marriage is idolised above and beyond celebacy and abstinence, and therefore in the psyche of your nation to loose a girlfriend or not have one puts a croutons load of pressure on a bloke especially post Hollywood if she was what popular culture believes to be hot or a smart and innovative feminist on the education side of the coin. Idk sounds to me like his ego got damaged after his girlfriend broke up with him or he her and from that momment on he has been struggling to prove his manhood which got twisted into pain tolerance/self mutilation and perhaps despair and wanting to go to jail for life or get the death penalty being unable to cope and the infamy is just a cover for his lack of self confidence after the heartbreak. 

Popularity and self confidence mean a lot to most in the u.s.a Im led to believe.

2 hours ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

Idk sounds to me like his ego got damaged after his girlfriend broke up with him or he her

no offense, but that's crazy talk.  your concept of American thinking is a fallacy

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
3 minutes ago, little2add said:

no offense, but that's crazy talk.  your concept of American thinking is a fallacy

For the older generations perhaps and religious folk but perhaps not the youth and those outside of religion under about 60 now. Its a generalisation of a minum big chunk but definitely not the whole. Movie sales and the top 40 prove it.

And increased add breaks with catchy jingles to get inside peoples headz,lol, face it your hippy trippy lay lahs. Lol. 

That was meant to say lah lahs, death to auto correct. Arghhhh

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

33 minutes ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

For the older generations perhaps and religious folk

really? :lol3:

what kind of law (that would work) do you think is needed to stop the kind of thing?