An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness, Politics, and Guns

little2add

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yeah, guns in lockers at home waiting for a possible invader or dictator, 21+ to get liscence, fire arm training a requirement and psychological evaluation to get one. The question is how many guns should people be allowed and to what calibre. And what should the jail time be for someone caught with there personal gun out of there locker, oh I guess you would have to at least be allowed to own 2 and have one in a locker at the firing range. <shrugs> idk 

GreenScapularedHuman
1 hour ago, little2add said:

28468462_931779376991752_644975801753615

Thomas Paine was a prolific writer, but I do not know where such a statement came from, and I doubt you would of liked Thomas Paine at all... For example he was an atheist and a staunch anti-theist. For example he pinned "It has been the scheme of the Christian church, and of all the other invented systems of religion, to hold man in ignorance of the Creator, as it is of Government to hold man in ignorance of his rights. The systems of the one are as false as those of the other, and are calculated for mutual support. The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not any thing can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is not the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing." http://www.ushistory.org/paine/reason/reason37.htm

But despite that tidbit about Thomas Paine, even if he did write it (which I suspect he didn't, because he was quite liberal, even for his time... supporting a universal basic income to all citizens in Agrarian Justice) he in this case is just wrong. Most of the most democratic, free, and open nations on Earth today have very low firearm ownership... The United States having the highest in fact as of late 2016 was downgraded on the World Democracy Index to 'flawed democracy'. So what did guns do to stop that?

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

If only for a foreign invader or dictator then the people need the right to several grenades in there locker at home too, a few stun grenades, a few smoke grenades and several explosive grenades to stand a fighting chance. <shrugs> idk . I like how you said since the invention of automatic weapons that wars are no longer just, same as bombs to right? Crack shot warfare is far more sporting I guess and skillful. I'm actually leaning towards absolute no violence, and thou shalt not kill means just that, thou shalt not kill and Jesus said "put away your sword peter, violence begats violence." What do I care if I get martyred and go to heaven and the violent oppressors are left here to rot till judgement day? That's how Rome was defeated right? The blood of the pacifists.

6 hours ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

The United States having the highest in fact as of late 2016 was downgraded on the World Democracy Index to 'flawed democracy'. So what did guns do to stop that?

personally, I have no use for guns, never have.  

Thanks to: armed law abiding citizens, armed guards, police, personal bodyguards, even military/armed services who all play a role in self defense, using guns.    the problem is not Guns. the problem is a Godless society.

I hope and pray that I will never need to use lethal force to protect my; life,  property and family but I do feel better knowing that if the need arose that I could, legaly!

Edited by little2add

GreenScapularedHuman
1 hour ago, little2add said:

personally, I have no use for guns, never have.  

Thanks to: armed law abiding citizens, armed guards, police, personal bodyguards, even military/armed services who all play a role in self defense, using guns.    the problem is not Guns. the problem is a Godless society.

I hope and pray that I will never need to use lethal force to protect my; life,  property and family but I do feel better knowing that if the need arose that I could, legaly!

When we look at nations on level of religiosity (the importance and frequency of religion, despite personally held beliefs) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country more religious nations tend to fair worse on virtually all socioeconomic outcomes. Violence and crime in said nations are also higher. There just simply isn't evidence that religion (at least in of itself) or even adherence to has any affect on these sorts of outcomes. While this doesn't necessarily mean that religion is utterly invalid or harmful... just that the idea that more religion  in of itself makes for a better society or nation is bunk.

1 hour ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

Violence and crime in said nations are also higher. There just simply isn't evidence that religion (at least in of itself) or even adherence to has any affect on these sorts of outcomes.

Really? Do tell!

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 20/03/2018 at 10:22 AM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

When we look at nations on level of religiosity (the importance and frequency of religion, despite personally held beliefs) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country more religious nations tend to fair worse on virtually all socioeconomic outcomes. Violence and crime in said nations are also higher. There just simply isn't evidence that religion (at least in of itself) or even adherence to has any affect on these sorts of outcomes. While this doesn't necessarily mean that religion is utterly invalid or harmful... just that the idea that more religion  in of itself makes for a better society or nation is bunk.

What about Switzerland and Finland?

GreenScapularedHuman
1 hour ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

What about Switzerland and Finland?

As of the 2008-2009 Gallup survey Finland (9/149 | 28% important to 70% unimportant) and Switzerland (26/149 |  41% important to 57% unimportant) were both notably lower than the United States (44/149 | 69% important to 31% unimportant) in considering religion important. Both Finland and Switzerland have a majority of their population considering religion unimportant while the United States has a supermajority who consider it important. So if this is any indication America is about two to three times more religious than Switzerland and Finland. So Finland and Switzerland could be argued to be more godless than America, yet they have neither theses very serious challenges that America does (among others), Switzerland in fact has a very high amount of firearm ownership but due to very major regulation they experience only a fraction of what America does in regards to criminality or violence related to firearms.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
3 hours ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

As of the 2008-2009 Gallup survey Finland (9/149 | 28% important to 70% unimportant) and Switzerland (26/149 |  41% important to 57% unimportant) were both notably lower than the United States (44/149 | 69% important to 31% unimportant) in considering religion important. Both Finland and Switzerland have a majority of their population considering religion unimportant while the United States has a supermajority who consider it important. So if this is any indication America is about two to three times more religious than Switzerland and Finland. So Finland and Switzerland could be argued to be more godless than America, yet they have neither theses very serious challenges that America does (among others), Switzerland in fact has a very high amount of firearm ownership but due to very major regulation they experience only a fraction of what America does in regards to criminality or violence related to firearms.

Dude are you serious. Stats aren't that great an indicator and can be manipulated to be bias to an agenda by only surveying the suburbs that fit your agenda. unless the majority of the population over 18 is part of the survey to me its worth diddley squat. How many people where surveyed in your stats dude?

3 hours ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

Actually I see the amount of people. 149 people. That's crazy that you would rebuke my rebuke with a measly 149 people buh. Lol. Your smarter then that I can tell. What's your game here buddy? No pun intended and all are welcome unless they are trolling or treating, foul language, etc

That treating was meant to say bullying, I hate auto correct sometimes

GreenScapularedHuman
19 minutes ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

Dude are you serious. Stats aren't that great an indicator and can be manipulated to be bias to an agenda by only surveying the suburbs that fit your agenda. unless the majority of the population over 18 is part of the survey to me its worth diddley squat. How many people where surveyed in your stats dude?

That treating was meant to say bullying, I hate auto correct sometimes

Without any other means available to survey, other than just purely lying, such surveys and statistics are the best that we have to look at. There were over a thousand adult persons who were randomly contacted AND chose to participate in the survey PER country. So you have decided to just purely lie pretending I wrote something I didn't, which is a very good indicator of how well this is going for you, to put it bluntly very badly. The 149 is the number of nations surveyed, NOT the amount of people, a very low estimation would be at very least 149,000 adults participated worldwide. http://news.gallup.com/poll/114211/Alabamians-Iranians-Common.aspx

And like I mentioned to you before my general impression from you is that you suffer from some major psychosis that is going untreated, that you are in deep denial about, and that you refuse to seek treatment about. Looking around I see that others have more kindly and softly hinted the same thing to you. Which I suspect that your hyper-religiosity is at least in part a result of this psychosis.

I can understand that some Americans don't want to see firearm regulation increase... but the reality is that most Americans do http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/ support stricter and more comprehensive firearm regulation. Also that the rationale for why not firearm regulation is largely debunked myths that have no basis in fact or reality... the reason why research cannot be found to support it and also why Congress effectively prohibited the CDC (Center for Disease Control, America's foremost agency tasked with research, prevention, and management of all health-related afflictions) from conducting any and all research on firearm related crime, injury, and death. Which the Republicans who pushed the measures were unabashed in admitting why... they said the science supported firearm regulation and restriction... which they didn't want to hear. Which is a really good indicator that your case has not a leg to stand on when you pass a law preventing further research and admit the reason for that is because you know it will further discredit and debunk you.

GreenScapularedHuman

@little2add
Abortions only constitute a very small fraction of Planned Parenthood spending and services. Planned Parenthood has despite this fact become the boogieman for avid anti-abortion proponents. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/01/jason-chaffetz/chart-shown-planned-parenthood-hearing-misleading-/

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

providing Mifeprex, also known as RU-486 or the abortion pill is not my idea of woman healthcare services.

avid anti-abortion proponent

You have got to be freaking kidding if you think PP doesn’t do abortions as their primary service.