An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness, Politics, and Guns

little2add

According to their latest annual report (2014-2015), Planned Parenthood reports that their affiliates performed 323,999 abortions - that's nearly 35% of the estimated 926,190 abortions performed annually in the United States.

National Right to Life

GreenScapularedHuman
4 hours ago, little2add said:

According to their latest annual report (2014-2015), Planned Parenthood reports that their affiliates performed 323,999 abortions - that's nearly 35% of the estimated 926,190 abortions performed annually in the United States.

National Right to Life

Since you didn't seem to care to read that taking a whole number that isn't really a whole number... lets see if you can at very least understand a graph.

27le16.png

See the blue slice? That is your alleged (which is a very very high guess) at total abortions they perform in the United States. Notice that orange slice is a lot bigger than the blue one? Because 35% < 65%. I'm not sure how to break this down any more because we are venturing into very basic math.

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman
<

GreenScapularedHuman

I am going to add this in... I thought maybe saying this would be a little too base but after witnessing what I did maybe not.

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, I encourage that, but no one has a right to their own facts. If you want to believe that abortion is intrinsically and unavoidably wrong, a very conservative Catholic view, that is your right. In that sense it is somewhat understandable that you dislike Planned Parenthood because in a sense one abortion would be one too many on a purely belief-level assessment.

But that isn't what you are writing... you seem to desperately want and need Planned Parenthood to be something they aren't. They are not abortion hungry savages riding across the United States inflicting a shocking amount of abortions. They are a womens health clinic that provides a very small amount of abortion services. Thats it.

But I would note that in the United States you represent a very small minority of American opinion...Only ~29% of Americans want to abolish abortion as a right. An overwhelming 91% of abortions in the United States are in the first trimester (to be friendly to you I will give you a source I think you will accept despite it being rather poor in quality http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/06/17/fast-facts-us-abortion-statistics.html ) to wit only about ~31% of Americans think it should be illegal during the first trimester, only ~31% think there should be a constitutional amendment, only ~29% think Roe v Wade should be overturned, and only ~18% think it should be illegal in ALL circumstances... http://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

So while it is your right, and I encourage you to use that right, to believe that all abortions are morally wrong and should be banned, that is a belief not supported by science nor by the American public...

And when you start to make factual claims those claims become subject to factual assessment. To put it very simply Planned Parenthood is NOT the boogieman that someone like yourself wants and perhaps needs it to be.

according to Planned Parenthood own reports their affiliates performed 323,999 surgical abortions per year or an average of 888 abortions per day.  

far and away the biggest single provider

that"s 1/3 for very basic math challenged  

GreenScapularedHuman
40 minutes ago, little2add said:

according to Planned Parenthood own reports their affiliates performed 323,999 surgical abortions per year or an average of 888 abortions per day.  

far and away the biggest single provider

that"s 1/3 for very basic math challenged  

Ignoring that you have an incomplete total of abortions performed in the United States, ignoring that it is still ~3% of Planned Parenthood's overall spending and services, and ignoring that even at 36% that still amounts to roughly 2/3rds not being from Planned Parenthood. So thus far you have refuted absolutely and utterly NOTHING I have written thus far...

So yes... I am inclined to think you may have some sort of dyscalculia. Because you don't seem to grasp the numbers and what they mean...

it means that no other single entity provides a greater number of abortions than the dreaded "Planned Parenthood" using tax-payers public funds , no less. 

BTW:  There are many Americans who believe that federal or State money should not be used to fund abortion practices which was one of the underlying reasons that the bill has had so much support from the start. Proponents of the amendment assert that the Hyde Amendment is an enforcement of "religious liberty and conscience" of Pro-Life Americans who do not wish to support (either fiscally or morally) the act of abortion.[13]

Another argument commonly made by supporters of the Hyde Amendment is that the amendment itself does not prevent women from seeking out an abortion because it does not criminalize abortions themselves, but simply withholds government money from such programs. Supporters would claim that a women's lack of access to such services on the grounds of fiscal matters is "the product not of governmental restrictions on access to abortions, but rather of her indigency".[15] Simply put, this means that supporters of the bill claim that the Hyde Amendment does not prevent a woman from obtaining an abortion, but it prevents the entitlement of government funding to women who wish to have one. Advocates of the Hyde Amendment further state that this ban of federal funding for abortions does not interfere with a woman's freedom to seek out an abortion since the Amendment does not legally outlaw the medical service.[15]

Edited by little2add

GreenScapularedHuman
5 hours ago, little2add said:

"Planned Parenthood" using tax-payers public funds , no less.

Since the rest is still an irrelevant and superficial  non-argument and non-rebuttal, I will touch on the funding matter. Which is also a non-issue.

Planned Parenthood has been prohibited for decades from using tax-payer dollars for abortions. https://www.factcheck.org/2011/04/planned-parenthood/

And 'dreaded'? No... Planned Parenthood enjoys ~75% support by the American public and only ~22% of the American public wants to stop funding to Planned Parenthood. https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2017/03/24/americans-differ-on-healthcare-math-but-three-in-four-want-planned-parenthood-funded/#1e2fffd3dffb

7 reasons 

1. Planned Parenthood has become a billion-dollar organization on the backs of taxpayers. They earned $128 million in revenue with over $1.4 billion in net assets last year. In the same year, federal and state governments gave them over $528 million to fund their lucrative programs.

2. Planned Parenthood performs one in three abortions in the U.S. They reported performing 327,653 abortions last year. Former employees have even made allegations that there are mandatory “abortion quotas” each affiliate must meet.

3. Planned Parenthood emphasizes abortions instead of preventative care. They made only 1,880 adoption referrals and just 18,684 prenatal services last year. Even cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood have decreased 50 percent since 2004.

4. Planned Parenthood has been accused of financial fraud with taxpayer dollars. In 2013, an affiliate payed a settlement of over $4 million to Texas for Medicaid fraud. Similar investigations revealed over $8 million in possible fraud across nine states.

5. Planned Parenthood fights laws that protect women and children. They have opposed legislation that would protect infants born alive after failed abortions and tried to derail an anti-human trafficking bill because the legislation included a longstanding and widely-supported policy against taxpayer funding of abortion.

6. Planned Parenthood stands accused of jeopardizing the health and safety of women and girls. They have been accused by pro-life advocacy groups of abetting the sex trafficking of minor girls and at least four affiliates have been similarly accused of neglecting the health and safety of patients.

7. Women can receive wider range of care at other centers. In addition to roughly 1,200 federally qualified health clinics there are over 2,000 pregnancy centers that provide medical testing, prenatal care, ultrasounds and child-birth classes, among other services to women facing unplanned pregnancies

GreenScapularedHuman

@little2add This appears to be from yet another conspiracy-theory pseudo-science source. Has it occurred to you that when your opinions are only defended by far fringes that maybe there is something not so very right about those opinions?

GreenScapularedHuman

@little2add Since you have to date not been able demonstrate the following to any degree: (1) that mental illness is necessary or a cause of crime (2) that firearm regulation would have no affect on firearm related crime (3) that planned parenthood is the primary provider of abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood is primarily providing abortion services... and you have not rebutted to any degree: (1) the sources that show that mental illness is NOT related to crime (2) that firearm regulation WILL decrease firearm related crime (3) planned parenthood does NOT provide a majority (barely even a third) of all abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood's overall abortion services is ~3% of their total spending and services.

In light of this I accept this as a full forfeiture. As you have at no point seemed to make any substantial effort or progress to doing just this. I have been far more than generous, patient, and charitable during this process tolerating your poor malbehavior and malattitudes than I think I should of all things considered. There is no purpose to continuing this non-discussion as I do not believe you have the will or ability to benefit from it nonetheless honestly engage in it.

And since you have a strong propensity to quote from, without actually sourcing in many cases, articles from sites that are highly questionable, and in those cases where you cite from a less questionable source you ignore/reject portions of those articles that you do not feel imminently serves your purposes. As such I additionally conclude you are extraordinarily biased, unable and unwilling, to arrive at any conclusion that you do not already regard.

who in there right mind walks into a schoolhouse and violently murders innocent bystanders for no apparent reason?  

firearm regulation in its present form is not working, because mental fitness and drug use is not considered risk factors, as some people have so eloquently stated in this thread.

planned parenthood is a abortion provider.