An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness, Politics, and Guns

little2add

On 4/2/2018 at 9:24 PM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

defended by far fringes

like Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts who signed a budget Wednesday that will eliminate federal family-planning funding to Planned Parenthood of the Heartland. The $8.8 billion two-year budget would prohibit money to facilities that commit, promote, or refer clients for abortions.

On 4/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

Planned Parenthood has been prohibited for decades from using tax-payer dollars for abortions.

The Nebraska Catholic Conference reports that Planned Parenthood receives roughly $300,000 in Title X taxpayer funding each year. Under Title X, taxpayer dollars directly pay for potentially abortion-inducing emergency contraception, such as Plan B or the Morning After Pill, while assisting with the abortion giant's expenses, such as staffing.

GreenScapularedHuman
On 4/ (filtered) at 7:11 AM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

@little2add Since you have to date not been able demonstrate the following to any degree: (1) that mental illness is necessary or a cause of crime (2) that firearm regulation would have no affect on firearm related crime (3) that planned parenthood is the primary provider of abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood is primarily providing abortion services... and you have not rebutted to any degree: (1) the sources that show that mental illness is NOT related to crime (2) that firearm regulation WILL decrease firearm related crime (3) planned parenthood does NOT provide a majority (barely even a third) of all abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood's overall abortion services is ~3% of their total spending and services.

In light of this I accept this as a full forfeiture. As you have at no point seemed to make any substantial effort or progress to doing just this. I have been far more than generous, patient, and charitable during this process tolerating your poor malbehavior and malattitudes than I think I should of all things considered. There is no purpose to continuing this non-discussion as I do not believe you have the will or ability to benefit from it nonetheless honestly engage in it.

And since you have a strong propensity to quote from, without actually sourcing in many cases, articles from sites that are highly questionable, and in those cases where you cite from a less questionable source you ignore/reject portions of those articles that you do not feel imminently serves your purposes. As such I additionally conclude you are extraordinarily biased, unable and unwilling, to arrive at any conclusion that you do not already regard.

@little2add These matters have already been addressed ad nauseum with citations from reputable sources.

887 a day

On 4/2/2018 at 4:46 AM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

But that doesn't change the fact that abortion is only a very small service that Planned Parenthood provides...

887 abortions, on average a day, per year 

I don't find abortion amusing

Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, performed 327,653 abortions in one year, according to the latest data published in its 2013-2014 report.  2013-2014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSIO

AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf

see page 15:  3% = 327,663

GreenScapularedHuman
On 4/ (filtered) at 7:11 AM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

@little2add Since you have to date not been able demonstrate the following to any degree: (1) that mental illness is necessary or a cause of crime (2) that firearm regulation would have no affect on firearm related crime (3) that planned parenthood is the primary provider of abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood is primarily providing abortion services... and you have not rebutted to any degree: (1) the sources that show that mental illness is NOT related to crime (2) that firearm regulation WILL decrease firearm related crime (3) planned parenthood does NOT provide a majority (barely even a third) of all abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood's overall abortion services is ~3% of their total spending and services.

In light of this I accept this as a full forfeiture. As you have at no point seemed to make any substantial effort or progress to doing just this. I have been far more than generous, patient, and charitable during this process tolerating your poor malbehavior and malattitudes than I think I should of all things considered. There is no purpose to continuing this non-discussion as I do not believe you have the will or ability to benefit from it nonetheless honestly engage in it.

And since you have a strong propensity to quote from, without actually sourcing in many cases, articles from sites that are highly questionable, and in those cases where you cite from a less questionable source you ignore/reject portions of those articles that you do not feel imminently serves your purposes. As such I additionally conclude you are extraordinarily biased, unable and unwilling, to arrive at any conclusion that you do not already regard.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:00 PM, GreenScapularedHuman said:

@little2add These matters have already been addressed ad nauseum with citations from reputable sources.

5 hours ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

not-sure-if-troll.png?resize=552,381

@little2add This topic is not about abortion. These matters have already been addressed. I can only assume that you very desperately need attention because of some pathological problems that you have. Please get a life. Understand that I am not going to engage you beyond reminding you of this.

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

1 hour ago, little2add said:

AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf

see page 15:  3% = 327,663

face the facts

33 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

I can only assume that you very desperately need attention because of some pathological problems that you have. Please get a life

not need to lose your temper and continue with the name calling and personal attacks

GreenScapularedHuman
1 hour ago, little2add said:

face the facts

not need to lose your temper and continue with the name calling and personal attacks

You gave no citations. I have no temper. There is no name-calling. There is no relevance to this. You already fully forfeited. This isn't even the topic. This is a waste of time for both of us. I think you just want my attention for some perverse and/or pathological reason. There is no other explanation I can fathom at this point. AND AGAIN:

Since you have to date not been able demonstrate the following to any degree: (1) that mental illness is necessary or a cause of crime (2) that firearm regulation would have no affect on firearm related crime (3) that planned parenthood is the primary provider of abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood is primarily providing abortion services... and you have not rebutted to any degree: (1) the sources that show that mental illness is NOT related to crime (2) that firearm regulation WILL decrease firearm related crime (3) planned parenthood does NOT provide a majority (barely even a third) of all abortions nationally (4) that planned parenthood's overall abortion services is ~3% of their total spending and services.

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

On 2/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, A Yearning Heart said:

Depending on the state here in Australia, there are provisions for a person to be reported to a mental health team if they are acting erratically or such to indicate they are in real mental distress and need treatment. The team can check on them, and if needed, admit them for mental health ward. 

Ideally, that would work but unfortunately, the stress on that process is hugh (not enough funds, not enough resources). 

This is all I’m trying to say.  Shouldn’t there be some sort of mechanism in place like the aforementioned program in use in Australia

Blaming heinous violence killing on mental illness is akin to blaming the gun for the crime, or putting it metaphorically, blaming a car for a vehicle homicide. 

Just the same, how does one deal with it and prevent future like incidents?   Restrictive Gun laws simply do not work, there has to be a better way.   Driving drunk and killing someone is considered by some people to be murder in the first degree.  

Illicit drug use, if not prescribed and monitored by a physician should fall into the same category as drunk driving.  Illegal drug use is a scourge on our nation, and maybe a much bigger factor in violent crimes than is currently recognize.

Edited by little2add

• 2 weeks later...

So much for statistics, mental illness is a factor, at least, in the latest killing spree.  I don’t mean to disparage, profile or condemn anyone, including myself of criminal behavior due to their mental health, but mental health does seems to be a common denominator in some cases.   Sometimes statistics are misleading...

A van plowed into pedestrians on a sidewalk at a busy intersection in Toronto on Monday afternoon, killing 10 people and injuring 15 others, police said. Authorities said terrorism wasn't suspected.

Mental illness is the leading theory for a motive, several U.S. and Canadian law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation told NBC News. And while it appeared that the suspect acted deliberately, terrorism doesn't seem to have been his motive.  

2 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Looks like the Waffle House Guy was also mentally ill. This stuff doesn’t help with stigma. 

It has been reported that the father of the waffle House guy may be arrested for returning his guns to his son after the authorities Took them away from him.  Supposedly the father had agreed not to give the guns to his son because of his unstable behavior.  

Do you think the father of the waffle House guy, should be charged?

GreenScapularedHuman
4 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Looks like the Waffle House Guy was also mentally ill. This stuff doesn’t help with stigma. 

Very regretfully it doesn't.

The article I posted from the beginning of this thread discusses this in some detail. There is a directly linkable increase in this stigma with media coverage of mental health matters in the media related (even ostensibly) to crime. This also says almost nothing about the implicit biases that are cultivated even among those who may be aware that these things are not accurate depictions, unfair, and attempt to minimize them.