Guest T-Bone Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 It's like winning the lotto--you're just lucky. Acutally, there are a number of ways, the main ones being: Your pancreas shuts down due to an auto-immune response. Your body stops using insulin effeciently. Gestational diabetes
Guest T-Bone Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 27 2004, 07:44 AM'] I am slowly slipping into type 2 diabetes, probably within the next year or two it will be confirmed. [/quote] Yep...this is why I've cut back on the beer, the sweets, the fatty junk-food, and want to lose about 15 pound.
Soldier4Him Posted August 27, 2004 Author Posted August 27, 2004 Wow, who resurection of my old thread! Note: You are more at risk to get type 1 diabetes (my type), if it runs in the family. In my case, my Dad has it. *Sigh* Gotta love genetics. *Glare*
Pete-ster Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 I have Type I, and test between 8-10 times a day: When I get up After breakfast Mid-morning Before Lunch After Lunch Mid Afternoon Evening Before Dinner Before Bed I'm ever-thankful that the new monitors allow testing on the arms and legs. I test alot because I don't want to run the risk of any of the complications. A little bit of paranoia helps alot. I inject/take glucose as needed.
Soldier4Him Posted August 27, 2004 Author Posted August 27, 2004 PETE! That's awesome that you test so often. That's something I need to work on. And I know first hand what bad control can do to a person. My dad is completely blind in one eye and 75% in the other, has had multiple heart attacks, and had a below the knee amputation of his leg. It's not pretty. I'm afraid to test on my arms.....it's strange, but I am.
Pete-ster Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 Both you and your dad are in my prayers. (I don't know if I have a family history of it, as I am adopted.)
Soldier4Him Posted August 27, 2004 Author Posted August 27, 2004 Thanks Pete. How old are you and when were you diagnosed?
Sursum Corda Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 [quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Jun 28 2004, 11:13 PM'] How come the other people who voted "no" haven't posted......*tear* [/quote] I too am a Type 1 diabetic - have been for 27 years. I'm on the pump. I just got a new endocrinologist that I'm pretty excited about...guess there's a few of us! Peace
Sursum Corda Posted August 28, 2004 Posted August 28, 2004 I would venture a guess that most of us have not seen our pancreases...so, don't feel bad!
Pete-ster Posted August 28, 2004 Posted August 28, 2004 Generally, one should wish to keep thier pancreas on the inside of thier body, preferably attached to the small instestine and functioning normally.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now