An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hello friends

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

Hello, my friends! It has been such a long time. I wonder who is still around whom I would remember?

I hope everyone is healthy and well. My family and I are. :) My wife (Moosey) and I are about to celebrate our seventh anniversary, and we just celebrated our daughter's second birthday.

How is everyone?

Lilllabettt
46 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Sure is quiet around here.

Yes it is.

I have a secret that is causing me to feel nauseated.  That's all I'll say about that.

My mr is a cop in Chicago and as you may know it is currently purge season in this hemisphere.  So that's fun.

Other than that, I haven't been fired from my job yet so that's good.

Nihil Obstat

My mother is a police officer as well, we are fortunate that things have been a bit more pacific around here.

I was starting to wonder if those First Nations rail blockades were going to turn into another Oka, but I guess we forgot all about that when The Rona came calling. We sure live in interesting times 

The Conservative Party of Canada is currently voting for their next leader. It's likely to be the Red Tory pretending to be otherwise, O'Toole, or the very Red Tory MacKay, but there's an excellent and very intelligent woman named Leslyn Lewis who has an outside shot at winning the vote due to the ranked ballot system.

She has a very pragmatic and non-threatening approach to social conservatism that might actually make a bit of headway in a conservative party where even mentioning abortion or homosexual marriage has been verboten for over ten years.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, she is a black immigrant woman who would be running against the eternally woke PM who has been caught wearing blackface on more occasions than he is willing to admit, and strong armed  and smeared an indigenous female attorney general and cabinet minister when she investigated his criminal ethics violations.

Hi Nihil!

Life is all right. My profession was hit hard by the rona, but it's slowly making a comeback, none too soon for me. The last few months were not all that great for an unmarried person losing a lot of community. Upside is I'm a new godfather to a little child, who is very cuddly and easy to please. It's giving me a lot of joy.

Ash Wednesday

I've been hanging around here a little more lately after being a bum on long hiatus. I wish I had better health, but 2020 has actually been good to me otherwise in that I've been able to work from home. 

22 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

How is everyone?

no idea who you are.

you seem decent.

but, i've been drinking alot of coffee

Edited by MIKolbe

Nihil Obstat
2 hours ago, chrysostom said:

Hi Nihil!

Life is all right. My profession was hit hard by the rona, but it's slowly making a comeback, none too soon for me. The last few months were not all that great for an unmarried person losing a lot of community. Upside is I'm a new godfather to a little child, who is very cuddly and easy to please. It's giving me a lot of joy.

I'm lucky that I had my family around for our lockdown time. I was particularly missing seeing all of our friends and young families from church. We kept in loose touch with social media and texting, but that's tough to keep up, and it's just not the same anyway.

I was off work for ten weeks total. Thank goodness for the government emergency benefits, or else the mortgage would have been tough to handle.

First godchild? Congrats!

2 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I've been hanging around here a little more lately after being a bum on long hiatus. I wish I had better health, but 2020 has actually been good to me otherwise in that I've been able to work from home. 

Sorry to hear about your health. Ironically that is one area that has not caused us any suffering lately. :) I sure was wishing I could be working from home for a while there. It has been nice to be out of the house lately though.

Nihil Obstat

Here is Yvette enjoying some quality daddy time in the sun this morning. Afterwards we watched Cinderella and Toy Story.

20200725_104449-01.jpeg

How is my dude @Delivery doing? It has been way too long, and I constantly find myself wondering how you are.

Nihil Obstat
2 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Hi Nihil!

Good to 'see' you again here

You too! How have things been??

tinytherese

Not many people have been on here for some time now even before quarantine. I started a job weeks ago where I work from home. Technically it's not home since I work at my grandma's because our internet is unstable. I verify enter data for COVID test request forms. I'm closer to being able to afford to move out of my parents' house.

My brother graduated from high school and is supposed to start community college in the fall. It's sad that his class didn't get to say good bye to each other. Their graduation was live streamed and they mispronounced our last name.

LittleWaySoul

Hi Nihil! I’m recently back on here too! It’s been a while, and a lot has changed for me. I finished grad school and am almost a year into my first full time job! Thankfully my family and loved ones are all safe from the rona, though we had a potential unrelated hospital visit scare with my grandma recently. I’m glad to hear that you and yours are all doing well!

Nihil Obstat
13 hours ago, tinytherese said:

Not many people have been on here for some time now even before quarantine. I started a job weeks ago where I work from home. Technically it's not home since I work at my grandma's because our internet is unstable. I verify enter data for COVID test request forms. I'm closer to being able to afford to move out of my parents' house.

My brother graduated from high school and is supposed to start community college in the fall. It's sad that his class didn't get to say good bye to each other. Their graduation was live streamed and they mispronounced our last name.

Good to hear! I feel bad for all the kids finishing high school who missed out on all that usual stuff.

12 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Hi Nihil! I’m recently back on here too! It’s been a while, and a lot has changed for me. I finished grad school and am almost a year into my first full time job! Thankfully my family and loved ones are all safe from the rona, though we had a potential unrelated hospital visit scare with my grandma recently. I’m glad to hear that you and yours are all doing well!

Grad school, great! What subjects were you researching?

truthfinder
19 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

You too! How have things been??

They're going along. Things sure have been topsy-turvy the last few months, and the hard part was adapting teaching to be online as well as no access to libraries. Have access to Mass for the last two months, including solemn high (if you can get your hands on tickets), but for reasons I won't go into here, the Communion situation is less than stellar.