An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vaccine

MiscarriageSucks

6 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

This is misunderstood, I think.  The "293" portion of "HEK293" is actually the number of aborted babies that they used to make it.  At least that is what a certain scientist (virologist) is alleging.

I read that 293 refers to a number of experiments needed to create a line. I heard that it could take more aborted human beings yet I speak only about an aborted girl later called "HEK293" because it is a well-established fact (and I do not wish to speculate) and because even one aborted baby as a source of a vaccine is enough for me.

"HEK-293
HEK stands for “human embryonic kidney”, and the child was probably aborted around 1972. The doctor who originally worked with the fetal tissue said at an FDA meeting that “the fetus, as far as I can remember was completely normal. Nothing was wrong. The reasons for the abortion were unknown to me. I probably knew it at the time, but it got lost, all this information.”

Nevertheless, you may have a point about some other lines:

"RA273
The story of the Rubella vaccine is a bit more grim. It involved not one, but 28 abortions. Twenty-seven to isolate the virus, and then it was cultured in WI-38 (see above). The acronym RA273 means: R=Rubella, A=Abortus, 27=27th fetus tested, 3=3rd tissue explanted."

https://jenniferfulwiler.com/2007/10/vaccines-and-aborted-fetal-tissue/

But then again, whatever has been done one human being is all that takes to make those vaccines unethical.

ReasonableFaith

Readers wishing examine the nature of the HEK 293 cell line and its use may want to refer to a 2006 piece in National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly by Alvin Wong, ‘The Ethics of HEK 293.’  

The piece includes an overview of the cell line as well as a description of its widespread use. A robust analysis of the moral implication of using cells propagated from cells, purchased from a company which propagated the cells from fetal nephrotic tissue which may or may not have been sourced from an induced abortive procedure in the 1970’s, is made.  In addition the author examines the need, or lack thereof, to find research alternatives to such cell lines. 

5 hours ago, ReasonableFaith said:

A robust analysis of the moral implication of using cells propagated from cells, purchased from a company which propagated the cells from fetal nephrotic tissue which may or may not have been sourced from an induced abortive procedure in the 1970’s, is made.

The author establishes (in a  full agreement with how the source of "HEK293" is being described in other sources) that "the possibility that the HEK 293 kidney cells come from a directly procured and deliberately willed abortion is extremely high." One of the reasons for such convictions (among several considered by him) is of a convenience:

"The convenience of getting tissue from routine, elective abortions compared to waiting for an unforeseen miscarriage supports this likelihood. Furthermore, there seems to be an ongoing industry in this area, where obtaining fetal tissue from routine abortions becomes a standard procedure."

It makes a perfect sense. Indeed, if there is "fresh healthy material" in abundance why to try to obtain a product of a miscarriage (which is often caused by a foetal abnormality so it is not as "pristine" as they say)? 

However, in my opinion, while the origins of the covid19 vaccines are dreadful it is far more dreadful what is being done with them. We know now that the vaccines are tainted by foetal cells derived from abortions (and not just by HEK293). It is possible then to say that "it is a vaccine made with murdered human beings". It is very crude saying but it is true, in essence, no matter if the cells were used only to grow viruses and then the liquid was distilled or for tests etc. It is still tainted, no mater what one does and says. 

And then we have Jews who reportedly enquire it vaccines are kosher; Muslims - if they are halal; vegans - if no animals suffered cruelty while vaccines were produced and so on. The response is "yes, they are kosher/halal/vegan friendly, all is good". Am I the only person who sees as a diabolical farce, the mockery of who a human being is? 

MiscarriageSucks
On 3/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, MIKolbe said:

Got my first shot today at walmart.

Congratulations!!! Thank you! My only side effect with dose one was a sore arm. Move it around as much as possible to prevent stiffness. 

• Ash Wednesday changed the title to Vaccine
Ash Wednesday

Please ignore the accidental title change. I was killing spam on here and my mousey hand was too slow and lazy. Apparently if you have superpowers, dragging the cursor too slow over a title edits it. Carry on.

Three More Reasons to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine

Besides reducing your own risk of getting COVID-19, there are other reasons to get your vaccine when it becomes available. For starters, you'll be helping to:

1.   Bring an end to the pandemic.

2.   Protect the health care system. (When infections surge or if nurses and doctors get sick, they may have less capacity to care for the very ill. )

3.   Safeguard those around you.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:29 PM, MiscarriageSucks said:

Congratulations!!! Thank you! My only side effect with dose one was a sore arm. Move it around as much as possible to prevent stiffness. 

My only side effect is that I got very handsome. 

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE said on Wednesday their COVID-19 vaccine was safe and 100% effective and produced robust antibody responses in 12- to 15-year olds, paving the way for them to seek U.S. emergency use authorization in weeks

I got my first shot a while ago, so I'm half immune. I'll get my second shot on Friday. Since I got my first shot in my left arm, I guess my left side is already immune, so I'm gonna tell 'em to inject the second shot into my right arm. That way, I'll be immune on both sides!

(That IS how it works, isn't it?)

Ash Wednesday

I got my first one about 2 weeks ago. A bit of a sore arm, headache and felt warm for a few hours but was fine within a day. I wasn't thrilled about having to do it but I'm on immunosupressant/biologic so I'm in a more vulnerable category. "Taking it on the chin" or "risking it for a biscuit" isn't really a safe option for me. Especially being able to go to mass regularly and getting back into the outside world without worrying my husband or my doctor. I will be getting the 2nd one probably in late May. 

fides' Jack

My wife's uncle got the shot about a month ago.  A week or so later started bleeding internally and died.  My wife can't tolerate face masks, due to anxiety, and learned that the diocese his funeral would be in is very strict about masks, and she surely wouldn't have been allowed to go to the funeral Mass without a mask.  So she couldn't go.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, unless of course you're counting deaths from the Wuhan virus itself.

homeschoolmom
On 3/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, MIKolbe said:

Got my first shot today at walmart.

You really can get just about anything at Walmart. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, MiscarriageSucks said:

Both popes got the shot! Yay!

There’s more than one?  Since when

Edited by little2add