An Old School Catholic Message Board

Antivax voices being silenced by covid

Mercedes

9 hours ago, Winchester said:

I'll ask this again: What is the CFR? 

Make you case with your sources.  It's not scholarly or according to the scientific process to send people off on wild goose chases.

5 hours ago, Mercedes said:

Make you case with your sources.  It's not scholarly or according to the scientific process to send people off on wild goose chases.

What is the CFR? It's a question you should be able to answer. Do you not know what a CFR is?

4 hours ago, ardillacid said:

So the flu is worse than covid :cyclops:

If he'd read the article, he wouldn't have used it.

It's "scholarly" to just copypasta the first search result and walk a victory lap while wearing a mask, faceshield, and pausing to use hand sanitizer every tenth of a mile.

My favorite part of this is that the person who didn't read the article is now going to argue with the Vice President of the Minnesota chapter of MENSA.

Does anyone want to make an intelligent argument as to why it isn't valid to expose the folly of influential anti vaxxers and conspiracy theorists?  

They undermine science and truth for fame, clicks and dollars, foolishly (bordering on ethically and criminally) putting themselves and others at risk with lies.  

Edited by Mercedes

16 minutes ago, Mercedes said:

Does anyone want to make an intelligent argument as to why it isn't valid to expose the folly of influential anti vaxxers and conspiracy theorists?  

They undermine science and truth for fame, clicks and dollars, foolishly (bordering on ethically and criminally) putting themselves and others at risk with lies.  

You were asked for a number you should be able to rattle off the top of your head. It's a basic number for the most basic understanding of the risk of SARS-COV-2 infection (I'm not even asking for the CFR by age cohorts).

You're reveling in the death of people you want to insult merely because they're going against the herd. I tried to give you some advice, but you're too lazy to do any real reading. You didn't even read the article you cited. If you had, you wouldn't have used it as an answer to the question I asked.

Stop pretending to care.

Machine_Washable
45 minutes ago, Mercedes said:

Most of these are just ordinary people so your justification does not apply to them. If you won’t respect them enough to not mock their deaths then at least be silent for the sake of their families. I have a lot of people in my family who are suspicious of the vaccine because America created it. I have argued with them a lot about this. But if they got really sick and died and somebody did this I’d be furious. It would definitely not make me friendly to the side that was mocking my dead family member. 

3 hours ago, Winchester said:

You were asked for a number you should be able to rattle off the top of your head. It's a basic number for the most basic understanding of the risk of SARS-COV-2 infection (I'm not even asking for the CFR by age cohorts).

If you are committed to the position that covid is no worse than the yearly flu, there's no point entering into a numbers competition with you.

You're reveling in the death of people you want to insult merely because they're going against the herd.

I've encountered the same argument from pro abortionists.  They hate having real facts shown them.  But having real facts put in front of you although confronting, is a powerful argument.

I tried to give you some advice, but you're too lazy to do any real reading. You didn't even read the article you cited. If you had, you wouldn't have used it as an answer to the question I asked.

I've read the article and it demonstrates the travesty of covid.  We've seen nothing like it outside of world war, since the Spanish flu pandemic.

Stop pretending to care.

Again, I have heard that attack in the abortion debate.

17 hours ago, Mercedes said:

If you are committed to the position that covid is no worse than the yearly flu, there's no point entering into a numbers competition with you.

I've encountered the same argument from pro abortionists.  They hate having real facts shown them.  But having real facts put in front of you although confronting, is a powerful argument.

I've read the article and it demonstrates the travesty of covid.  We've seen nothing like it outside of world war, since the Spanish flu pandemic.

Again, I have heard that attack in the abortion debate.

I haven't said that, and I don't think that appears to be the case.  But since you believe that I do, it would have been simple enough for you to show a few years of influenza CFR and compare them to SARS-COV-2 (you should compare viruses to viruses, not viruses to illnesses). 

Anecdotes are facts, but they're not useful for risk assessment. That's why you need to use numbers instead of stories.

You need a rate instead of absolute numbers. The difference in population should have tipped you off when you read it. It's also important to look at age cohorts (and comorbidities). 

This whole voices being silenced thing is wrong and evil.

Love never rejoinces in the pain or death of others.  If there csn be no love, there can be no good and the only thing left is evil.

This thread is mean. Trump was bad because he made mean tweets. But here you are with this mean thread. 

If you can't summon sadness for antivaxers when they die of covid, think about the people who loved them and maybe begged them to get the shot. But were ultimately powerless to save them and now have to bury them because they weren't able to change their mind.

Recently in my community we had a otherwise healthy and vital 29 yr old die of it, and she was buried on what would have been her wedding day. Sad af. What a stupid and pointless way to die! Imagine her father walking her down the aisle in a casket instead of in her wedding dress! However I comfort myself that, it was her choice. It's not like she wanted the shot and couldn't get it for money or other reasons. She rolled the dice and lost, and that is what she wanted to do. 

48 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

This thread is mean. Trump was bad because he made mean tweets. But here you are with this mean thread. 

If you can't summon sadness for antivaxers when they die of covid, think about the people who loved them and maybe begged them to get the shot. But were ultimately powerless to save them and now have to bury them because they weren't able to change their mind.

Recently in my community we had a otherwise healthy and vital 29 yr old die of it, and she was buried on what would have been her wedding day. Sad af. What a stupid and pointless way to die! Imagine her father walking her down the aisle in a casket instead of in her wedding dress! However I comfort myself that, it was her choice. It's not like she wanted the shot and couldn't get it for money or other reasons. She rolled the dice and lost, and that is what she wanted to do. 

I had just finished reading through a 23 page thread titled fides' Jack's Mega Anti-Vax Thread and was so appalled by the ideology being promoted in the thread, I think good people deserve to know some sombre facts that may save their own lives and those of their loved ones.  

On 9/24/2021 at 8:23 PM, Lilllabettt said:

yeah well let's swap anecdote for anecdote. A 30 something year old woman in my community, a teacher, gets the jab, dies of a ****ing stroke the next week. That's when people were assuring me that only 6 deaths have been connected to the vaccine. I wonder if her death was reported on the VAERS. My mom and my sister knew her, shook them up a little. They were both already vaccinated.

Pretty sad. You can tell me it's rare all you want. Maybe it is. But my faith in the system has rapidly disintegrated over the last 18 months. If you think dying from a virus is a stupid way to die, how about dying while trying to protect yourself from a virus? That seems dumb too.

I also want people to know I am taking Covid seriously. After putting on 25 lbs during Covid, I've lost about 10 of them. Now just gotta get my lazy arse off the internet!