An Old School Catholic Message Board

'Marxist cultural vision': USCCB head José Gomez decries social justice movements

Matthew 10 42

2 hours ago, hakutaku said:

I'm asking because your data showed the shift in marriage/sex had already happened by the time Humanae Vitae was written, indeed, other sources say premarital sex trends have been roughly constant since the 1950s.  So assuming you're not saying it was a prediction-after-the-fact, what prediction are you actually talking about?

Matthew 10 42

https://www.blackcatholicmessenger.com/gomez-speech-petition/

“Archbishop Gomez should listen to Pope Francis and hear from those of us whose social justice advocacy is inspired by our faith,” the petition description reads.

“Catholic bishops and other religious leaders ought to be in the streets with racial-justice movement organizers—not demeaning them.”

The release also included statements from Dr. Craig Ford of St. Norbert College and Dr. Shannen Dee Williams of the University of Dayton.

“A God of liberation is always present in movements for justice because the freedom promised in eternal life begins with activism and struggles to end oppressive systems today,” said Ford

“The denial of the dignity and sanctity of Black life… [is] a foundational sin of the [US] Catholic Church” and that the Church overall “has never been an innocent bystander in the history of white supremacy.”

"If there will ever be a chance for true peace and reconciliation, the Catholic Church must finally declare with all of its might and resources that Black lives do matter.”

"Black theologians must continue to proclaim boldly: ‘God is Black!’… that God is incarnated among those who are poor and oppressed as Jesus was.”

Machine_Washable
6 hours ago, Matthew 10 42 said:

https://www.blackcatholicmessenger.com/gomez-speech-petition/

“Archbishop Gomez should listen to Pope Francis and hear from those of us whose social justice advocacy is inspired by our faith,” the petition description reads.

“Catholic bishops and other religious leaders ought to be in the streets with racial-justice movement organizers—not demeaning them.”

The release also included statements from Dr. Craig Ford of St. Norbert College and Dr. Shannen Dee Williams of the University of Dayton.

“A God of liberation is always present in movements for justice because the freedom promised in eternal life begins with activism and struggles to end oppressive systems today,” said Ford

“The denial of the dignity and sanctity of Black life… [is] a foundational sin of the [US] Catholic Church” and that the Church overall “has never been an innocent bystander in the history of white supremacy.”

"If there will ever be a chance for true peace and reconciliation, the Catholic Church must finally declare with all of its might and resources that Black lives do matter.”

"Black theologians must continue to proclaim boldly: ‘God is Black!’… that God is incarnated among those who are poor and oppressed as Jesus was.”

Maybe this is a difference in religious outlook but I believe ascribing attributes to God other than those he ascribes to himself is very dangerous. I find it hard to believe Christians are supposed to do that.

Matthew 10 42
19 minutes ago, Machine_Washable said:

Maybe this is a difference in religious outlook but I believe ascribing attributes to God other than those he ascribes to himself is very dangerous. I find it hard to believe Christians are supposed to do that.

If you're taking issue with the "God is Black" statement...Jesus literally says the final judgement will be based on how we treated the poor. When they were thirsty and gave them water we we're literally giving it to Christ himself. These are his words. Those who helped go to Heaven. Those who didn't go to hell. God is Black. God Is White.. And every other color. But he is found in the flesh of the poor and oppressed. 

1 minute ago, Matthew 10 42 said:

we we're literally giving it to Christ himself. 

*were

Machine_Washable
4 minutes ago, Matthew 10 42 said:

If you're taking issue with the "God is Black" statement...Jesus literally says the final judgement will be based on how we treated the poor. When they were thirsty and gave them water we we're literally giving it to Christ himself. These are his words. Those who helped go to Heaven. Those who didn't go to hell. God is Black. God Is White.. And every other color. But he is found in the flesh of the poor and oppressed. 

*were

I don't know your religious tradition better than you. I just find it shocking someone would say this.

Matthew 10 42
4 minutes ago, Machine_Washable said:

I don't know your religious tradition better than you. I just find it shocking someone would say this.

Jesus said a lot of shocking things.

Matthew 25:31-40

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, "I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” 

Machine_Washable
5 minutes ago, Matthew 10 42 said:

Jesus said a lot of shocking things.

Matthew 25:31-40

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, "I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” 

But this is stuff that you believe Jesus said to you. That's different from a human being ascribing an attribute to God that God did not ascribe to Himself.

Matthew 10 42
4 minutes ago, Machine_Washable said:

But this is stuff that you believe Jesus said to you. That's different from a human being ascribing an attribute to God that God did not ascribe to Himself.

This is a Catholic website. We believe Jesus is God here. If you don't that's on you. 

Jesus said he is literally found in the poor and oppressed here. And the final judgement will be based on our treatment towards them/him. 

Machine_Washable
Just now, Matthew 10 42 said:

This is a Catholic website. We believe Jesus is God here. If you don't that's on you. 

I'm talking about your quote that God is Black. I'm not attacking your Bible. I just don't understand why someone would think it's ok to ascribe an attribute to God that He doesn't ascribe to himself.

Matthew 10 42
12 minutes ago, Machine_Washable said:

I'm talking about your quote that God is Black. I'm not attacking your Bible. I just don't understand why someone would think it's ok to ascribe an attribute to God that He doesn't ascribe to himself.

Will try this one more time. In Catholicism Jesus is God. Therefore when Jesus says he's literally the poor person who is thirsty that means Jesus is Black. Just like Jesus is the poor person who is thirsty that is White. And Chinese etc etc If you don't believe Jesus is God then you don't have to agree Jesus is Black. But in my life Jesus is God. And I'm on a Catholic site so I have no problem repeating what Jesus says about himself. I don't have a problem stating it anywhere else either but that's besides the point. Take care. 

3 hours ago, Matthew 10 42 said:

Will try this one more time. In Catholicism Jesus is God. Therefore when Jesus says he's literally the poor person who is thirsty that means Jesus is Black. Just like Jesus is the poor person who is thirsty that is White. And Chinese etc etc If you don't believe Jesus is God then you don't have to agree Jesus is Black. But in my life Jesus is God. And I'm on a Catholic site so I have no problem repeating what Jesus says about himself. I don't have a problem stating it anywhere else either but that's besides the point. Take care. 

Come on dude get out of here with this Woke mumbo jumbo. Where do you think Phatmass is, Black Lives Matter Plaza? I'm one of the less traddy types around this forum and even I cannot take this nonsense.

You know plenty well that most non-black people are gonna take offense if somebody comes out and says "God is black" just like if I went to a place with mostly black people and proclaimed "God is white." You think the folks there are gonna be like "Oh OK" after I follow it up with some "Oh well you see, Jesus said that he is a poor person, and I saw a poor white person this morning. Therfore, Jesus is white" nonsense?

First of all, you are reading those passages too literally.  Jesus is not literally the homeless person you see on the street. Blasphemy.

Secondly, if you think that the Catholic church has not already taught that black lives matter, you know nothing about what the Church teaches.

"Secondly, if you think that the Catholic church has not already taught that black lives matter, you know nothing about what the Church teaches."

Sadly, while the Catholic Church "officially" teaches that black lives matter, white lives matter, all lives matter, blah, blah, blah, unofficially, there's often a very different message.

I was in a Catholic Church in a black neighborhood that had over 50 images of white "holiness" portrayed via statues, paintings, stained glass windows, bulletin and hymnal covers, etc.  In fact, the only images of holiness portrayed that weren't white were plants (i.e. lilies, cedar trees, etc.), animals (i.e. fish, lions, etc.), and inanimate objects (i.e. boats, shepherd's crooks, etc.).  There wasn't even have an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  All the while, pastor after pastor after pastor would get assigned to that parish and wonder why people from the neighborhood weren't worshiping there.

I can't help but wonder what a person of color would think upon walking into that church.  Would they think that Catholics worship God or would they think that Catholics worship whiteness?

If black lives really matter, why aren't more images of black holiness displayed in our churches?  Why do so few white people even notice the conspicuous absence of such images in many (most?) U.S. churches?  When only images of white holiness matter to a church leaders and members, it's really hard to believe them when they say things like "all lives matter".

Machine_Washable
2 hours ago, Peace said:

Come on dude get out of here with this Woke mumbo jumbo. Where do you think Phatmass is, Black Lives Matter Plaza? I'm one of the less traddy types around this forum and even I cannot take this nonsense.

You know plenty well that most non-black people are gonna take offense if somebody comes out and says "God is black" just like if I went to a place with mostly black people and proclaimed "God is white." You think the folks there are gonna be like "Oh OK" after I follow it up with some "Oh well you see, Jesus said that he is a poor person, and I saw a poor white person this morning. Therfore, Jesus is white" nonsense?

First of all, you are reading those passages too literally.  Jesus is not literally the homeless person you see on the street. Blasphemy.

Secondly, if you think that the Catholic church has not already taught that black lives matter, you know nothing about what the Church teaches.

I was confused because the passage he quoted seemed to say that anything you did to another was doing that to Jesus not that Jesus was these people. But I don’t know the teachings so thought I was missing something.