An Old School Catholic Message Board

PHORUM CLOSING IN JUNE... Where should we go?

dUSt

BarbTherese

If we go to FB, I wont be going.  Too much harm and grief has come about to some through FB. 

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Social Conscience:

Our approach to conscience often emphasizes the right to “opt out” of a particular precept. Yet “the discovery of one’s own sinfulness is an essential step in self-understanding and moral maturity.”  Only with “a redemptive humility, a humility burdened not with self-deprecation but rather with an unabashed self-understanding of what it really means for one to act in conscience,” can we “do good and avoid evil in accordance with God’s will.” Further, conscience is inherently relational; it’s how we “discover our place in God’s world and our relationships therein.” And that requires “learning to take advantage of the insights of our community of believers, including its magisterium.” A humble conscience  keeps us alert to the situations around us; it “engages – and sometimes interrupts – our agenda for our lives, which can so easily proceed automatically.” “We are bound by the truth as it really is.” “Our consciences should always be operative—and not only when we want to opt out.” https://solidaritywithsisters.weebly.com/catholic-social-teaching.html

A study conducted by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers showed that Facebook was the cause of an astounding 66 percent of divorces. The Journal of Cyberpsychology has also released studies showing similar trends.19 Aug 2021 https://www.familymaritallaw.com/why-has-facebook-caused-so-many-divorces-over-the-past-few-years/#:~:text=A study conducted by the,released studies showing similar trends.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/dec/27/social-media-crime-facebook-twitter

I don't expect others to think the way I do, nor arrive at my decisions.

BarbTherese
11 hours ago, BarbTherese said:

I don't expect others to think the way I do, nor arrive at my decisions.

Because, on the other hand, to my mind, there is a real case for Pham to establish itself on FB as a messenger of The Gospel.............sort of doing a St Paul in his mission to the gentiles.    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/missions.html

It is a case for personal discernment, I think..............debate.

So why is he preaching to gentiles?

Paul had decided to preach to gentiles apparently out of his own revelatory experience that this was the mission that had been given him by God when God called him to function as a prophet for this new Jesus movement.

But Paul was Jewish, wasn't he?

Paul was Jewish. Paul was a Jewish prophet but when Paul talks about himself he describes himself as having been called from the womb to serve and fulfill this mission. But that language of being called from the womb is prophetic language drawn directly from the prophet Isaiah and the prophet Jeremiah, so Paul sees himself in direct continuity with this Jewish legacy of the prophetic tradition as someone called to have a special purpose. A special function on behalf of God.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/missions.html

BarbTherese
On 4/29/2023 at 1:32 AM, dUSt said:

But, maybe that's not the best way? Let's decide on the best place to move. Here are some links to potential places for us to move to:

Phatmass Facebook group

Phatmass Subreddit

Also, maybe Quora or Discord?

A bit of research and Subreddit or Quora would be my choice.   Is there cost involved to keep the original Phatmass archived?

4b9d7d9a0f9edc3df9c27850f6867cf5.jpg           

I vote for using Reddit as well. Reddit is closer than Facebook to a forum experience. I try to avoid anything owned by Meta. 

BarbTherese
1 hour ago, CS937 said:

Reddit is closer than Facebook to a forum experience

Thank you for the above info - I like it.

BarbTherese
2 hours ago, Didacus said:

well... if reddit it is please make sure to post this on facebook!

Good point

BarbTherese

Tried again with FB.  I just cannot understand the jolly site.  I wont be going there for sure.  For me, its either Reddit or a blog in August this year.  The internet has left me so far behind...............it aint funny. rotfl

AveMariaPurissima
On 5/12/2023 at 8:20 AM, CS937 said:

I vote for using Reddit as well. Reddit is closer than Facebook to a forum experience. I try to avoid anything owned by Meta. 

This was my thought as well. 

46 minutes ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

This was my thought as well. 

Yeah! Plus, on Reddit you can be anonymous just like on Phatmass. Some people might not want to use Facebook for privacy reasons ( I don’t have Facebook). 

if people don’t have a Reddit account yet, it might also help if you use the same username you have on here, that way people can recognize you.