An Old School Catholic Message Board

PHORUM CLOSING IN JUNE... Where should we go?

dUSt

I got the email and decided to stop over. I joined in 2012 and was never much of a prominent poster but enjoyed it nonetheless. God bless!

Though I'm sad to see this forum go, you're right, it is time. Places like Phatmass, CAF, etc. belong to a different era and like all good things in this life, they're transitory. 

This forum and CAF meant the world to me in high school (2012-2013) when I was converting to Catholicism. These places made me feel lonely and like I wasn't crazy for wanting to be Catholic. Everyone around me thought I was crazy and was making a mistake lol. 

I don't use FaceBook, so I'd love to see a subreddit for Phatmass :) 

Edited by CS937

cruciatacara

My friend Nunsense sends her regards and wishes well to those who continue Phatmass in another venue. She told me she spent a lot of time on Vocation Station back in theday.

For myself, I haven't been here as long but have enjoyed some of the conversations. Lately the place has become a little like an outpatients' ward in a psych hospital but that has also made it kind of interesting.

I probably won't be following anywhere as I don't spend a lot of time online and don't have a FB account on purpose. Pretty amazing work @dUSt to have carried it on for so long. A lot of forums are shutting down these days so it is probably about time for this place too. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

6 minutes ago, cruciatacara said:

My friend Nunsense sends her regards and wishes well to those who continue Phatmass in another venue. She told me she spent a lot of time on Vocation Station back in theday.

For myself, I haven't been here as long but have enjoyed some of the conversations. Lately the place has become a little like an outpatients' ward in a psych hospital but that has also made it kind of interesting.

I probably won't be following anywhere as I don't spend a lot of time online and don't have a FB account on purpose. Pretty amazing work @dUSt to have carried it on for so long. A lot of forums are shutting down these days so it is probably about time for this place too. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Oh I remember her! I always loved her posts/appreciated her insights. If I'm not mistaken, I think she discerned with the Carmelites and the Hermits of Bethlehem, right? I heard of the latter group because of her comments on here :)

Thank you for the 20+ years you kept this place alive Dust! Obviously I wasn't active for all of it but I'd poke in here once in a while. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to keep this ship sailing. 

Also, Discord is pretty grand. 

eustace-scrubb2

I don't think I would have been able to convert without y'allz, so thanks for the help over a decade ago!!!!

A Yearning Heart

Thanks so much for keeping it going so long Dust! Thanks too to all those who posted and prayed along the journey.  

I don't post much, but have posted at times and the phorum's been an absolute Godsend when I've needed to say something to someone in a Catholic context. 

God bless everyone! 

6 minutes ago, linate said:

where will the archived content be located? 

The archived stuff will remain right here. The phorum will simply become “read only”. 

Thanks dUSt for running this. This place also was helpful in 2014 when I joined. I think that year I weirded you out by showing up at your house unannounced to hand you a six-pack of Stone IPA. Your wife answered the door. You had put an Amazon wishlist up with your address at the time, and I was in the area, so I figured why not?

1 hour ago, chrysostom said:

Thanks dUSt for running this. This place also was helpful in 2014 when I joined. I think that year I weirded you out by showing up at your house unannounced to hand you a six-pack of Stone IPA. Your wife answered the door. You had put an Amazon wishlist up with your address at the time, and I was in the area, so I figured why not?

Weirded me out? No way. I wish you would have shown up once a week! 

Nihil Obstat

I am partial to Reddit or Discord myself. Quora is hot garbage. @dUSt, I am the person on the Phatmass subreddit, and you should have full permissions there now. That will be a safe starting point and it is available if you do want it.

It might also be worth asking, for example, Catholic Diocese of Discord if they'd be willing to add a Phatmass Oldies server to their existing community and everyone just enroll there. For the sake of not starting from scratch. 

https://discord.gg/catholic-diocese