An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feminists?

track2004

What is feminism?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1728192' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:51 AM']The woman I paint; the woman all women should be is: docile, modest, obedient, silent, pure, loving, kind, having courage, strong... the woman is the Blessed Virgin. All women should strive to be as she was. These virtues are the fruits of growing in union with God.[/quote]

I really don't see docile or silent as virtues.

[quote name='Lena' post='1728799' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:16 PM']I understand your post now, I just don't agree completely--I don't think it's as cut and dried as that. I agree though, that of course the status quo was disrupted, with all that implies.

I'm not saying you in particular, but it's disconcerting to read that some people think feminism, feminists, single-handedly brought evil into this world. I really hate reading that. Change comes when people want it, it's a social movement that involves everyone as a collective whole.[/quote]

it did not do it single handedly bring it about. But with the feminist movement you get the abortion issue. Then the sexual revolution and then the plaque of homosexuality and them wanting to get married.

I think feminism is good in the fact that women should have an equal chance in the work place and equal pay.

the idea is not bad but the sub-divisions are

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1728830' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:53 PM']I really don't see docile or silent as virtues.[/quote]

Perhaps docility is not a virtue in itself, but it does belong to the virtue of prudence (so says St. Thomas Aquinas) and it is a good, and something that one does gain from coming into union with God.

"Although docility is useful for every intellectual virtue, yet it belongs to prudence chiefly..." - St. Thomas Aquinas

And I believe you are correct in silence as well. It is not a virtue, per say. However, all souls of prayer are lovers of silence and St. Alphonsus Ligouri calls it, "the guardian of innocence, the shield against temptations, and the fountain of prayer." Silence is a great means of acquiring the spirit of prayer, and of disposing the soul to converse continually with God. St. Alphonsus says, "We rarely find a spiritual soul who talks much." We should observe silence, and observing it is a good and a mark of a soul that is prayerful. We are warned in the New Testament about talking too much, and St. Dorothaus said, "Beware of too much speaking, for it banishes from the soul holy thoughts and recollection with God."

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1729014' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:29 PM']Perhaps docility is not a virtue in itself, but it does belong to the virtue of prudence (so says St. Thomas Aquinas) and it is a good, and something that one does gain from coming into union with God.

"Although [b]docility is useful for every intellectual virtue[/b], yet it belongs to prudence chiefly..." - St. Thomas Aquinas[/quote]

Yesssss, St. Thomas Aquinas! The Angelic Doctor strikes again! :cool:

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1728192' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:51 AM']Certainly, being quiet, shy, and such can be an aspect of someone's temperment, however being silent is also something we practice and should practice. It is an action in the way I (and I believe St. Paul) was speaking of it. An action to be practiced.

It is in silence that we hear God. It is in silence that we usually pray or find it easier to pray. Silence is something one can and should practice. Pope Benedict told the young people when he came to America this past year, "Do not be afraid of the silence or stillness..." He told the young people that it was one of the four essential aspects that we should consider when looking at the examples of holiness from the lives of the saints. Silence is where God speaks to the soul. And if one is not silent then they will not be able to hear. A Poor Clare nun wrote, "God speaks to the heart and the heart knows how to listen only if it is silent and is withdrawn in solitude.”

St. Paul says that women should "learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

I am not a biblical scholar myself. When I read this I accept it and deep down I understand my place and role and how this verse applies to me as a woman, however to explain it to someone else I just cannot do. I would be too afraid to say something wrong and pass it off as the Church's interpretation. So, I went to the only commentary I have, that being the Navarre. I trust that it cannot lead us astray in the Church's interpretation of what St. Paul is saying. It doesn't say much, but what it does say may shed some light on this verse we are looking at.

[b]"I permit no woman to teach": in this chapter [i]St. Paul is giving general regulations for liturgical assemblies; therefore, this prohibition is not an absolute one:[/i] it refers only to public acts of worship. In order to make it clear that he is not just giving a personal opinion, he sets the prohibition into the context of the divine plan of Creation and the biblical account of the Fall; his arguments are not sociological ones, not confined to a particular culture; they are theological arguments. [i]There are no grounds for accusing St. Paul of being anti-woman: no one of his time spoke as vigorously as he did about the basic equality of men and woman [/i](Gal 3:28), and certain women (Priscilla and Lydia, for example) played an important part in helping him to spread the Gospel. What he is saying is simply this: the essential equality of man and woman does not mean that they have identical roles in the Church. Also, although women are forbidden to teach in a public, official setting (that is the role of the hierarchy) they can and should teach religion in the context of the catechesis and the family life.[/b]

True, however, in liturgical assemblies and public worship, the woman has no teaching position. Her role always has her in a position in this instance where silence and learning in submission is called for. This seems to be what St. Paul is referring too. St. Paul is not saying the woman should never speak again if a man is in any room with her. There is a time and place for everything. And in the particular instance the woman should be silent and learn in submission.
It is never the role of the woman to lead the flock or to teach in "official settings." However, there is a time and a place for her to teach (as is her Christian duty and as pointed out above). She is called to stand up for what is good and truthful, as all Christians are.

Women have fallen short of their calling... everyone of them; starting with Eve. She allowed her pride and her vanity to take over, and she ate of the apple. We tease men often that Eve was not the only one to mess everything up and how if Adam had done so and so and yada yada Eve wouldn't have did what she did. When it comes down to it though: Eve really messed it up and what she did doesn't have an excuse. She sinned because of her pride and vanity.

Women have used those gifts and characteristics they have (their beauty more so then all) and have purposefully in many cases led men astray and taught their daughters and sons immodesty. They have not been guardians of purity at all; nor have they even tried to be. Women can be and have been vain, prideful, selfish, nagging, and deceitful. We could say, "well men suffer from yada and yada too." Well, we are not talking about men and how they have been total mess-ups when it comes to their calling (and we all know - including men - that they have). We are talking about women, and there are many famous women biblically/historically that one can say: "Yeah, in that instance she really was not behaving as a woman of God should behave."

And we should be ashamed not of the women, but of these women's actions (and we ourselves who mostly suffer from the same failings). We still lead men into sin, give into vain thoughts, be naggging-know-it-alls instead of the helpful companions God made us to be. We do need to keep in mind our weakness. From a supernatural point of view, knowledge of weakness, is a grace. Alice von Hildebrand asks, "How many mistakes could we all have avoided if we had reminded ourselves that without God's help we can do nothing?" We should keep in mind the failings of these women and our weaknesses, and we should be humble.

St. Paul said that women should "learn in silence with all submissiveness" in the instances of liturgical assemblies. This totally reasonable. Men have a role of teaching. They also have a time to be silent and listen to their fellow man teaching too. However, not all men; as some teach. Women though - across the board - have the role of silence.

And yes, all are called to be submissive in prayer. As said, I am not a biblical scholar. Paul has said many things, and not all of them I am aware of at this point or can remember. I wouldn't make the sweeping statement that he has not said men too should not be humble and submissive in prayer. We all should be humble and submissive toward God and those teaching with His authority. I am sure he must have.

A woman who is silent, docile, modest, obedient, and so on is not a dull woman. With those virtues, have just described the Blessed Virgin, who was anything but dull.

When we read the Gospel she is not in our faces. She is off to the side, "pondering things in her heart." She is at the feet of her son. She is following Joseph. She is the handmaid of the Lord. In our day, where these virtues and moral values are seen as weak, we, who do not wear always our "lenses of the supernatural" may very well say these things are synonymous with dullness. If the woman is not independent, powerful, successful, famous, etc... well, she is just kinda dull. It is so false. When we wear the "lenses of the supernatural" we see things very differently.

The woman I paint; the woman all women should be is: docile, modest, obedient, silent, pure, loving, kind, having courage, strong... the woman is the Blessed Virgin. All women should strive to be as she was. These virtues are the fruits of growing in union with God.[/quote]

To be honest, I still don't totally get this...I think the idea of women not teaching is a broad statement; for example, the leaders of a lot of religious ed programs I know of are women who do a great job. I just feel like a lot of this is pretty harsh toward women, but I'll keep working on it. -Katie

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1729511' date='Dec 16 2008, 09:25 AM']To be honest, I still don't totally get this...I think the idea of women not teaching is a broad statement; for example, the leaders of a lot of religious ed programs I know of are women who do a great job. I just feel like a lot of this is pretty harsh toward women, but I'll keep working on it. -Katie[/quote]

Yes, I agree, there are some wonderful religious-ed leaders who are teachers. Think of the three women who are Doctors of the Church. There is a place for teaching, however a woman shouldn't preach a homily or be a priest.

Thanks for hearing me out Katie.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1729519' date='Dec 16 2008, 08:55 AM']Yes, I agree, there are some wonderful religious-ed leaders who are teachers. Think of the three women who are Doctors of the Church. There is a place for teaching, however a woman shouldn't preach a homily or be a priest.

Thanks for hearing me out Katie.[/quote]

No need to thank me-I'm just trying to make sense of things that don't come easily to me, and I always value others' opinions and I can tell this is something you know a lot of about-I don't necessarily agree with [i]all[/i] of what you say but I agree about women not being priests and such but silence is not something I know much about :saint: -Katie

• 2 weeks later...