lifeteenchick527 Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 Hey yall...i was just wondering if any of you girls had one. i got one yesterday and i cant wait to wear it sunday, (i go to daily mass and i have worn it there...but i still cant wait till sunday lol) well...do ya?
StColette Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 nope I don't have one so therefore I don't wear one lol If we aren't careful this thread could turn into a debate lol
the_rev Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 mantilla, I think I know what htat is, can u post a pic?
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 26, 2004 Author Posted August 26, 2004 here is a picture of the VIRGIN MARY...she is wearing one[url="http://www.lagubiayeltas.net/Detalles/Mantillas/mantilla-O1.jpg"]Matillas[/url]
Sojourner Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 Don't have one, don't wear one. I'm not necessarily averse to wearing one ... but I don't.
picchick Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 I don't have one but don't know if I want to. Part of me says yes and the other says no. Not quite sure yet.
homeschoolmom Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Aug 26 2004, 04:39 PM'] Don't have one, don't wear one. I'm not necessarily averse to wearing one ... but I don't. [/quote] What she said...
theculturewarrior Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 I think women look so beautiful and holy in mantillas.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Aug 26 2004, 06:23 PM'] I think women look so beautiful and holy in mantillas. [/quote] Ditto. I'm pretty neutral on them, but I have a lot of respect for women who wear them to Mass. There is a certain sense to that person...it seems to say that she is willing to get funny looks, stares, rumors, etc. just to be dressed as she finds appropriate for Mass. There's also a certain sense of "untouchable holiness" to it. If I saw a girl wearing one, I would think she was especially holy and chaste. That's a beautiful way to see another person.
homeschoolmom Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 26 2004, 05:35 PM'] I would think she was especially holy and chaste. That's a beautiful way to see another person. [/quote] True, but it's hard to have humility when the wearer KNOWS that others will think she looks holy and chaste... ... that's why I don't wear one.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 26, 2004 Posted August 26, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 26 2004, 06:39 PM'] True, but it's hard to have humility when the wearer KNOWS that others will think she looks holy and chaste... ... that's why I don't wear one. [/quote] True. Very true. The Rule of St. Benedict says not to want to be called holy until you actually are holy. However, at the same time, a mantilla could be a source of great grace as a sort of cross for the jeers one might get. And it's certainly not intrinsically bad. In fact, I would say that in itself, it leans far more toward good. Virtually all inanimate objects are for good until they are abused. It all goes to intention...
picchick Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 I don't know. See I want to be holy. I don't want to draw attention to myself when I pray. Sometimes I sit in the back of the Church so I can do things so that other people cannot see me. (like bowing and stuff like that)
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 [quote name='picchick' date='Aug 26 2004, 08:37 PM'] I don't know. See I want to be holy. I don't want to draw attention to myself when I pray. Sometimes I sit in the back of the Church so I can do things so that other people cannot see me. (like bowing and stuff like that) [/quote] And at the same time, doing holy things in the sight of others can draw them to holiness. It is difficult...you want to rep the faith and lead others to Christ, but Satan has so confused and skewed the minds of the faithful that many people are offended by good Catholics...
picchick Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 yeah. Sometimes I think that maybe if people see me then they may change their attitude toward youth. But then again sometimes just going to Mass may change it. I don't know. It just confuses me.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 [quote name='picchick' date='Aug 26 2004, 08:46 PM'] yeah. Sometimes I think that maybe if people see me then they may change their attitude toward youth. But then again sometimes just going to Mass may change it. I don't know. It just confuses me. [/quote] Yes...you can change adults minds. A group of Catholics from my college's Newman Center went out to dinner and said grace before hand and the elderly couple at the table next to them was so impressed to see youth praying before a meal that they paid for the whole thing. We can bring others to Christ by showing our faith outwardly as long as it is not vain appearance (if it is, people will know it). We can also receive great grace and sanctity from this.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 27, 2004 Posted August 27, 2004 [quote name='Scofizzle' date='Aug 26 2004, 09:03 PM'] would it be wrong for a man to wear one? [/quote] LOL Ummm...I think it could be scandalous. Otherwise, it would go to intent.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now