Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantilla


Do you wear a Mantilla to Mass?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 26 2004, 09:37 PM'] Sometimes I sit in the back of the Church so I can do things so that other people cannot see me. (like bowing and stuff like that) [/quote]
So do I (that's exactly what and why I sit in the back usually). Also because I go to Mass alone and feel akward with all these families...

People look at me weird sometimes though, a young girl actually going to Mass on her own and not because ehr parents dragged her...(if they only knew it's the other way around...I had to drag them to drive me)

I don't like to call attention upon myself when I'm at Mass, but sometimes I like to close my eyes during certain prayers, to show reverence at others, etc, so I don;t want it to look like I'm making a big show of my "concentratedness" and holiness, if that makes any sense.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Mantillas are so cool! I wish they were more popular because they rock. And if most women wore them it wouldn't be something that made you feel holy and all that, it would just be the normal, beautiful and dignified thing to do. :)

Posted

[quote]would it be wrong for a man to wear one?[/quote]
Short answer yes. Long answer, it wouldn't be wrong, per se, but it would be inproper, unnecessary, and really weird.

[quote]True, but it's hard to have humility when the wearer KNOWS that others will think she looks holy and chaste... that's why I don't wear one.[/quote]
The same argument can be made for Crucifixs and scapulars.

[quote]I don't want to draw attention to myself when I pray.[/quote]
In what context. Matillas and chapel veils are a part of the Church and Her history. I is not unexceptable, but it sounds like you are yourself uncomfortable.

Essentially, there are two things i'd like to say

1) Matillas or chapel veil are neither required or prescribed for any reason and are not essential to any form of devotion, ever.

2) They are a beautiful and unique expression available to women that are pursuing holiness and humility.

On a side note, I admire women who wear them because of what they are saying, that is moderation and respect for the female role of mankind. :)

lifeteenchick527
Posted

thanks yall!!! u guys have awesome points of view!!! keep posting!!

toledo_jesus
Posted

Women who wear mantillas just have this look about them. It's something special that only women can pull off, you know? Dignity, grace, and a little bit of mystery are what I see when I see a mantilla on a woman. Utterly respectable. That's important.

  • 1 year later...
Posted

I have one and I wear it every time I'm in a church. I love it!

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 26 2004, 05:43 PM']
However, at the same time, a mantilla could be a source of great grace as a sort of cross for the jeers one might get.

And it's certainly not intrinsically bad.  In fact, I would say that in itself, it leans far more toward good.

It all goes to intention...
[right][snapback]330085[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wear one. And as far as what people think about me whether or not
"I am holy." I can't help nor do I care what others think.

When I go to Mass I am there for God. The fact that "whomever" decides to "judge" me by what I wear tells me they need to refocus on the reason they come to Mass. Nothing distracts me during Mass. I could care less about what "the other guy is doing."

Some people have "too much time on their hands."

Oh yes, some of the best Mantilla's I have seen are at halo-works.com

Posted

I have one but I only wear it to the Latin Mass and I barely go to those anymore.

All For Jesus
Posted

I wear one also...I think it is a beautiful sign of devotion to God...an act of humility and submission

argent_paladin
Posted

The discussion of holiness, humility and an outward sign reminds me of discussions we used to have as Dominicans and when and where we should wear our habit.
Also, the short answer of why men shouldn't wear it and women should (or women should wear some sort of head covering): "because of the angels."

[quote]4 Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered brings shame upon his head.
5 But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved.
6 For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off. But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil.
7 A man, on the other hand, should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.
8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;
9 nor was man created for woman, but woman for man;
10 for this reason a woman should have a sign of authority 6 on her head, because of the angels.
[/quote]
1 Corinthians 11

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Nov 22 2005, 11:15 AM']The discussion of holiness, humility and an outward sign reminds me of discussions we used to have as Dominicans and when and where we should wear our habit.
Also, the short answer of why men shouldn't wear it and women should (or women should wear some sort of head covering): "because of the angels."
1 Corinthians 11
[right][snapback]797676[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
of course no one has a clue what that means :D:

homeschoolmom
Posted

Three conditions under which I would wear one:

1. I attended a Latin mass and didn't want to stand out
2. The Vatican tells me to
3. I take up flamenco dancing

son_of_angels
Posted

For me, as a teenage guy, when I see a young lady wearing a mantilla, I immediately recognize her as someone who is humble, pious, and authentic. In other words, good wife material.

Although at present I am discerning a call to celibacy, young women with mantillas definitely sometimes make me question my vocation!

Posted

Three reasons I like wearing a mantilla:

I know I'm not distracting guys with my hair (not that I have great hair).

It kind of serves as a blinder to the things going on around you. When I was talking to a PCPA (member of the Order I'm joining in two weeks) she said that in Adoration if she starts to get distracted she can kind of pull the veil around her so she can only see Jesus

Mary wore one, even when she appeared in recent times.

:)

I don't have anything against those who choose not to wear one, but for me I feel this is what I am supposed to do.

Posted

for those women who do not wear some sort of veil to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, may I ask you: would you (or did you) wear a veil to your wedding? if so, why did you do that?

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:09 PM']For me, as a teenage guy, when I see a young lady wearing a mantilla, I immediately recognize her as someone who is humble, pious, and authentic.  In other words, good wife material.
[right][snapback]797718[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

or she is a girl who thinks she looks good in black. :D:
or her parents have demanded it,
bribed her ,
or generally made her life miserable until she put it on.

You have no clue :D:


Don't judge by clothes, judge by the heart. Evil people can look very attractive.

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 22 2005, 11:46 AM']or she is a girl who thinks she looks good in black. :D:
or her parents have demanded it,
bribed her ,
or generally made her life miserable until she put it on.

You have no clue :D:
Don't judge by clothes, judge by the heart. Evil people can look very attractive.
[right][snapback]797734[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is very true, but I have to say in [i]all[/i] honesty that all the girls I know who wear the mantilla are "good wife material" :)

cmotherofpirl
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:48 PM']This is very true, but I have to say in [i]all[/i] honesty that all the girls I know who wear the mantilla are "good wife material" :)
[right][snapback]797737[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll: ok

well I guess it would depend on what you consider good wife material, but that is another thread. :D:

Edited by cmotherofpirl
Posted

of course, the same could be said of anything... the very fact that someone wears clothes instead of walking around nude doesn't necessarily mean they're a more civilized person- there are any number of reasons they could be wearing clothing. clothing is still a great simple of order and civilization when someone is wearing it. a mantilla is still a pius, biblical, and timeless universal-Christian symbol.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

When I went to school everyone was required to wear them, and I guarantee you pious and biblical were not often on our minds, and had little effect on our hearts. It was something you did, like having to wear a dress when if was 10 degrees.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...