daugher-of-Mary Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 I have one (along with about three different styles of head coverings left over from my days as an Annabaptist!). I haven't worn a mantilla to Mass yet. I'm still praying over whether I should or not. I probably won't decide until I'm out of the house and on my own in college. I LOVE the idea of arriving at Holy Mass dressed for the "wedding feast of the Lamb," but like others, I'm struggling with the problem of calling attention to oneself. *sigh* btw, it's SO nice to hear the guys input on this subject.
little_angel202 Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:32 AM']why? If its such an important symbol why doesn't everyone where it to every Mass? [this is addressed to everyone not just you] [right][snapback]800091[/snapback][/right] [/quote] well i dont know if its the same in the US but you never see people other than at the Latin mass wearing a mantilla , if i wore a mantilla to the New rite i would feel like i was showing off, serching for attention! if more people did cover there heads to other masses then sure i'd wear my mantilla but i wouldent feel right if i was the only one ! hope that answers your question !
Linda Posted November 26, 2005 Posted November 26, 2005 I just got my greatgrandmothers (I'm the only catholic left in the family) and I can't wait to wear it tomorrow
avemaria40 Posted November 26, 2005 Posted November 26, 2005 I plan on buying one when I'm eighteen and my fam can't tell me I'm being too strict
HisChild Posted March 18, 2006 Posted March 18, 2006 I wear one all the time. I don't draw attention to myself (I don't think), first, because people are used to me wearing one (I'm not sure how they reacted over a year ago when I started, I made a point not to look around to see if anyone was staring, because I was wearing this for Jesus. . and as it's said, if you're gonna be a fool, be a fool for Christ). Second, I am not the only one who wears one. We have a family that has about 5 girls and 3 boys, I think. Anyway, all the girls wear them as does the mom. There's a total of about a dozen people in my parish who wear them so I'm hardly alone. We all go to the same Mass, which, while still NO, it's a more solemn Mass.
All4HIM Posted March 18, 2006 Posted March 18, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 18 2006, 05:51 PM']I wear one all the time. I don't draw attention to myself (I don't think), first, because people are used to me wearing one (I'm not sure how they reacted over a year ago when I started, I made a point not to look around to see if anyone was staring, because I was wearing this for Jesus. . and as it's said, if you're gonna be a fool, be a fool for Christ). Second, I am not the only one who wears one. We have a family that has about 5 girls and 3 boys, I think. Anyway, all the girls wear them as does the mom. There's a total of about a dozen people in my parish who wear them so I'm hardly alone. We all go to the same Mass, which, while still NO, it's a more solemn Mass. [right][snapback]914539[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Do you have a picture of you wearing one? Pleeeeeease... :
HisChild Posted March 18, 2006 Posted March 18, 2006 No, not really, lol why would I have a pic of me wearing a mantilla? Although, if you check at www.stjosephmonastery.com in a couple months, after I enter, I have been told you can see a few pics of me entering the monastery, and receiving my postulant's veil!
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted March 18, 2006 Posted March 18, 2006 Something interesting to read: [url="http://web2.iadfw.net/~carlsch/MaterDei/Library/the_veil.htm"]http://web2.iadfw.net/~carlsch/MaterDei/Library/the_veil.htm[/url]
HisChild Posted March 18, 2006 Posted March 18, 2006 I didn't read the entire article, but yes, I've heard the Cardinal Bugnini story before.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted March 26, 2006 Posted March 26, 2006 i plan on giving mantillas to some of my non-practicing friends for their birthdays.
homeschoolmom Posted March 26, 2006 Posted March 26, 2006 When I'm giving a gift, I try to think of something that the receiver would appreciate rather than something I think s/he should have. Unless, I'm giving my child socks. That's different.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted March 26, 2006 Posted March 26, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:10 PM']When I'm giving a gift, I try to think of something that the receiver would appreciate rather than something I think s/he should have. Unless, I'm giving my child socks. That's different. [right][snapback]922840[/snapback][/right] [/quote] i asked if she wanted one. she said yes. plus its not like she got me anything :
homeschoolmom Posted March 26, 2006 Posted March 26, 2006 Well, then that would be something she would appreciate, now isn't it? :
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted March 26, 2006 Posted March 26, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:13 PM']Well, then that would be something she would appreciate, now isn't it? : [right][snapback]922842[/snapback][/right] [/quote] i wanted to get one for my mom..... that did not go over well
Resurrexi Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 (edited) [quote]i plan on giving mantillas to some of my non-practicing friends for their birthdays.[/quote] What company do you get them from? I'm getting all my female Catholic relatives (I dont think my non-practicing Catholic female friends would know what they were) mantillas for next Christmas. Last Christmas I got my mom, sister, and grandma ones, but every Catholic female must have a mantilla! I think it's cool that girls wearing mantillas at the NO show off... ALL CATHOLOIC GIRLS AND WOMEN SHOUD WEAR MANTILLAS!!!!!!! IT IS STILL PART OF THE CODE OF CANON LAW SINCE THE PRACITCE WAS NEVER ABOLISHED BY THE NEW CODE OF CANON LAW!!!!!!!!!! by the way, I think girls look prettier than usual in mantillas. Edited March 27, 2006 by StThomasMore
JudgedByGod Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 [quote name='StThomasMore' date='Mar 26 2006, 07:16 PM']What company do you get them from? [right][snapback]922911[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I just recently bought a new one from this lady on ebay. I believe she makes them herself and I absolutely love mine! Here's a link for one of her [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WHITE-LACE-VEIL-MANTILLA-SCARF-CATHOLIC-CHAPEL_W0QQitemZ8271557722QQcategoryZ15719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]auctions[/url]. You can also buy them from different companies online but I haven't had quite as much success as they tend to be out of stock or really slow at delivering. Some Catholic stores will also have them. Hopefully this helps!
Sailahína Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 I don't see anyone in my church wear them often. Most of the women or should I say girls wear tight jeans and little shirts. last sunday at mass a lady in front of me bend down and her pants fell off and she didn't even know it! I wear a jeans to weekday mass, but I wear a skirt to sunday mass. sorry this is kinda off-topic.......
ReinnieR Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 [quote name='lifeteenchick527' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:08 PM']Hey yall...i was just wondering if any of you girls had one. i got one yesterday and i cant wait to wear it sunday, (i go to daily mass and i have worn it there...but i still cant wait till sunday lol) well...do ya? [right][snapback]329976[/snapback][/right] [/quote] what's a mantilla?
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 [img]http://extremecatholic.blogspot.com/images/mantilla/goya.jpg[/img]
HeavenlyCalling Posted October 19, 2006 Posted October 19, 2006 I just bought a BEAUTIFUL white mantilla (I know wish I had gotten a black one too when they were on sale) That I wear to adoration, I just bobby pin it to the front center of my head and I am usaully fine. I dont wear it to Mass for several reasons. 1 My family sits in the very front row, and being a large and noisy family, we already attracted far to much attention, and I dont what more people looking at me then at God. 2 Our priest is not what you would call orthadox, he has spoken to several people about what he thinks are 'too conservative' practices, I dont want to be next : 3 Every one at that church knows me, and if I suddenly started wearing one, they woouldn't focus on the Mass, if I started going to a different parish, they I would wear it all the time.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now