An Old School Catholic Message Board

Am I Being Shallow?

shelly_freak

So I started college last week (yay me) and I've been trying to meet more people so I've been super nice and talkative. There's a girl in my spanish class who I know from churchy camp like 4 years ago. So anyways we've been hangin out after spanish and before my next class and I've been meeting alot of the people she knows from high school. One of the guys she knows is in my western civilizations class and we've been talkin before class and just jokin around and lughin and stuff. So yesterday after class he was like "hey Michelle wait up for a second a wanna talk to you" so I was like ok. So everyone had left the class and we were jokin about his broken backpack and then he asked me if I wanted to do something after class. Well I kinda streched the truth and said I had class after this when really it wasnt for like another 4 hours. And I just said it without really thinkin about being shallow, I said it because he wasn't exactly attractive. Now that sounds like totally mean but a trick my friend told me is to imagine kissing him and believe me you would not wanna kiss this guy, he kinda needs to take a shower and cut his hair and brush his teeth. So he walked me to my car, which was kinda creepy and he gave me a big hug (and that kinda freaked me out cause I'm not one of those touchy feely types) and then we said bye.
It's just that it's been bugging me ever since. I mean I don't wanna be shallow or anything.

Oh plus hes 4 years older than me

Thy Geekdom Come

Well, don't think you can be considered shallow for something you didn't premeditate.

However, as an unattractive man myself, I know that he probably feels like that's all he ever gets and it probably wasn't all that good for him. Looks mean very little. I'd be willing to bet, in fact, that if you spoke to each other from a distance without seeing one another, you could feel completely different about him.

I wouldn't let looks rule your decision.

As far as age, however, that is a very personal thing dealing with comfort...I'm not sure about that...

well i did tell him id do lunch with him next week before class, so im not gonna like not talk to him again. but you have a point, he deserves a fair chance. the age thing is still kinda bugging me though

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 3 2004, 11:37 AM'] sorry... yeah... a little shallow...

When I started dating HSdad he was almost 23! An old man! (I was 19)... [/quote]
:crackup:

"An old man!"

Hmm... about your situation, Shelly - your first reaction did seem a bit shallow, but you seem to have rethought it and everything... as far as the age goes, that makes me nervous if you don't know him that well. Now, if you know/get to know the guy better, then it'd probably be more comfortable for you. -shrugg- I don't know; just my opinion.

Thy Geekdom Come

Phatmass is being incredibly slow.

I would say, though, that if you felt uncomfortable with his hugging you, you have the moral right to avoid that. You shouldn't be made to feel creeped out.

i feel like im taking crzy pills

Well, okay. I mean, that was sort of shallow seeing how you didn't really have anywhere to go. But I thought it was a little sad cuz you said that cuz of his outter appearance. I mean, when I talk to people online, it doesn't really matter and stuff what they look like. Well, but like that person said.. I don't remember which one.. but I mean, looks don't matter that much. I am friends with a lot of people that aren't that good looking... but it's cuz of their personality and stuff. Not everyone is pretty, but hey, we all gotta deal.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 3 2004, 11:22 AM'] However, as an unattractive man myself.... [/quote]
Sorry... can't let this comment go by unanswered... Raph, you know that's not true....

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 3 2004, 12:46 PM'] Sorry... can't let this comment go by unanswered... Raph, you know that's not true.... [/quote]
LIAR!

:P

Question:

Micah is which of the following?

A. :cyclops:

B. :freak:

C. :heymon:

D. :freddy:

E. :bugeyes:

F. All of the above.

Answer: F. All of the above.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VeraMaria' date='Sep 3 2004, 12:52 PM'] Micah = :cool:

:P [/quote]
You failed miserably.

You must select one of the [b][i]provided[/i][/b] answers. Try again.