An Old School Catholic Message Board

Profanity In Music

TempleofVesarius

Is using words like "hell" "damn" and a few others that arent totaly just gross WRONG to use to emphasise a point in music  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TempleofVesarius

I just had a thought...lol...im gonna beat this issue to death.

If you let hearing the words effect how much you commit other sins in your day to day life, and you KNOW it will...then it MAY be a sin.

GodsThespianChic

Maybe it's like...if you let it affect you, then it is a sin. If it doesn't affect you, then it's not. Who knows?

well to me, if you're the type of person who listens to songs & then you act like that, then it's a sin & you should seek help (aka my brother!~!) but if you're like me, you just like the music not the words, & you don't do what it says then you're fine....That's just what I think!

I'm nto sure...but my brother is VERY much like that...he likes to say it doesn't get to him, but it does...like he listens to Anti-Flag & the Ramones & stuff like that, & he's very much f*** police..it's not cool...

• 10 years later...
ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I've worked at a bar for 6 years with nearly no access to radio time in the kitchen.  The "veterans" get that.  psh ya.  whatev.  i do influence there music choice as The catholic guy especially starting my gig there as a high school aged minor.  I encourage the Rage against the machine song "Eff you I won't do you I told ya," repeated over and over than songs with frequent GD, JC, JFC, OMFG.  Extremely explicit explanations of what they did or are going to do in bed are a no no.  I would perfer lsadies be refered to as ladies, not insert super naughty thing here.  Don't want blatant worship of satan.  The problem is turning off the radio will piss everyone off and lead to getting you fired or you leave and you get fired.  Some of my managers will let me have one headphone in for parts of the shift, but I have had to fight for that too.  

Only one thing is as offensive than this...  

country music  :eatmygun:  I tend to like edgier sounding music.  the christian metal genre and at work I am tolerant as you can see.  but please please please.  Tie me to a chair and kick me down the stairs, just please don't play country anymore.