Paladin D Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 [b]It's alright[/b]. Though this is an assumption, because I haven't been to one yet.
yiannii Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 A few friends of mine have gone to LifeTeen Masses and said that there were Liturgical abuses committed at the Mass (e.g. standing around the alter for the Consecration) - I'm not sure if this is a common thing but it has been enough to put me off it. Also the whole "high-five" shouting "theeeeeeeeeeee maasssssss never endddddddddssssssssssssssssss" kinda puts me off it too. That said I know nothing else about LifeTeen.
Noel's angel Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 i dunno what it is, so i cant really comment
toledo_jesus Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 I make it a policy to avoid experimenting with the Mass. I get panic attacks when I see liturgical abuses on the scale that Lifeteen was perpetrating. Altar calls are scary... :ph34r:
Scofizzle Posted September 27, 2004 Author Posted September 27, 2004 There seems to be some confusion about LIFETEEN so I'll try and clear up some stuff. First off, there were no altar calls. Teens were invited to come onto the altar during the concecration so as to further understand the mystery of the Eucharist as well as to form a community. At the time there was nothing saying this coudnt be done so it was not a liturgical abuse. The Vatican has handed some rulings specifically to LIFETEEN regarding these issues. Asking LIFETEEN to no longer do this, so LIFETEEN in AZ.(where it started) sent out letters to every parish that has a LIFETEEN mass asking everyone to stop. So by the end of the year there will no longer be any parishes that still invite their teens around the altar, if they do they are not following LIFETEEN guidelines. But at the time there was nothing wrong with having teens around the altar. I think I'll start a new thread about this.
Soldier4Him Posted September 28, 2004 Posted September 28, 2004 and just recently, the "alter call" as some call it has been officially....denied? i don't know what word i'm looking for, but LIFETEEN has been officially told to stop. and they are complying.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 I've never experienced lifeteen, so I havn't a clue about any of this...
LiL Kat Said Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 I'm so glad that Lifeteen came to my church because it really showed me that Church isn't boring and the LifeNights (after Lifeteen mass) are amazing, I'm really happy that Bob brought Lifeteen to our parish because i'd be lost w/o it. It's a really awEsome program to make Catholicism and Mass appealing to teens.
ilovechrist Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 LifeTeen is awesome. i went to FUS-Atlanta this year, and i'm pushing to have the program at my own parish. it's really incredible, and now that the Vatican has made the liturgical abuses come to a halt, i see no reason for every parish to adopt it!
DemonSlayer Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 (edited) I don't really know much about it. Edited September 29, 2004 by DemonSlayer
toledo_jesus Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 Well as long as they strive to be obedient, then that's ok. But I worry about it still because to me, the mentality of an altar call is all wrong for what is going on. That is Christ up there. We are there not to crowd around and watch, but to worship. While I understand that there was no prohibition against it, I wonder about the attitude behind the action. Once at my CCM the priest called everyone to the altar during the consecration. It was completely disrespectful and has colored my perceptions of any organization that would allow it. -_-
Scofizzle Posted September 29, 2004 Author Posted September 29, 2004 theres actually a long story behind ho wit came to be in Lifeteen. Lifeteen was started at St. Timothy's Church in Mesa, Arizona. The design of the church is very unique, Ive never seen another one like it. I cant find any pictures of it, but ill try to explain it to you. The altar is the focus of the entire building the rest of the seat wrap around the altar but only on one side. like 180 degrees of seting. There are two levels of seating. There are several hundred seats on the floor and and several hundred maybe a thousand seats above that are stadium style seating. The only problem is the floor seats are underneath the stadium seating. Meaning the seats on the floor cannot be seen by the ones on top and visa versa. When lifeteen started 20 years ago. The teens began to all gather and sit on the bottom level and the parents and adults sat on top. Nowadays it is all teens on the bottom. Now during the consecration the teens came up on the altar for one reason. So that the entire community (teens and adults) could be seen and heard by everyone. There was no lack of reverance for the holy Eucharist, there was in fact an increase of reverance in the community. At our parish we did invite the teens up to the altar during the concecration, but after a couple of weeks our TEENS asked us to stop doing it becuase thye didnt like it. So we havent done it for 4 years after doing for maybe 4 or 5 Masses. Anways that is the reason they started doing at St. Tim's, which after going to that parish I realize why they do it and it actually makes sense in that parish, but as Lifeteen spread and got more and more popular other parishes started doing it where it was not needed. But Lifeteen parish's across the world are being obidient to the Magisterium, and stoping this practice. Like I said the goal was to phase it out by the end of the year and explain to the teens why we are doing what we do. Once again you all may think I'm crazy but if you were to go to St. Tim's in Arizona you would understand what im talking about concerning the architecture. Any other Lifeteen question?
Scofizzle Posted September 29, 2004 Author Posted September 29, 2004 also Lifeteen now has A lay association recognized by the Vatican.
littleflower+JMJ Posted September 29, 2004 Posted September 29, 2004 i'veheard both sides of the LT story from teens themselves but i can't really say anything right now other than its a youth ministry program that alot of parishes use.
Scofizzle Posted September 29, 2004 Author Posted September 29, 2004 if you are curious i am a youth minister at a lifeteen parish
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now