An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saying 'God Bless You' To Mormons

ReformationNow

Okay, say a Mormon or other such heretic comes to your door. When they leave, would you ever say "God Bless You" or another like term?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ReformationNow

No! Scripture commands that we do not bid heretics 'Godspeed', lest we have part in their heresy.

God calls men, men do not call God.

We must love our enemies.

"Bless those who persecute you" - Ever hear that one?

Private interpretation can lead one to error.

Acts 8:30-35 - And Philip running thither, heard him reading the prophet Isaias. And he said: Thinkest thou that thou understandest what thou readest? 31Who said: And how can I, unless some man shew me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32And the place of the scripture which he was reading was this: He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb without voice before his shearer, so openeth he not his mouth. 33In humility his judgment was taken away. His generation who shall declare, for his life shall be taken from the earth? 34And the eunuch answering Philip, said: I beseech thee, of whom doth the prophet speak this? of himself, or of some other man? 35Then Philip, opening his mouth, and beginning at this scripture, preached unto him Jesus.

2 Peter 1:20 - Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation.

2 Peter 3:16 - As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction.

GBLCM,

ironmonk

ReformationNow

Found it. 2John 9-11 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctorine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctorine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctorine, recieive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed: For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds."

As for the definition of heretic, one that denies the diety of either the Father, the Son, or the Holy Ghost; one who denies eternal damnation; one who teaches Salvation in the name of any other. Basically, any denial of the basic fundamentals.

this is really interesting....I would only say "God Bless you" to them If I felt the need. Or if they sneezed!!lol

Cure of Ars

Found it. 2John 9-11 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctorine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctorine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctorine, recieive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed: For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds."

As for the definition of heretic, one that denies the diety of either the Father, the Son, or the Holy Ghost; one who denies eternal damnation; one who teaches Salvation in the name of any other. Basically, any denial of the basic fundamentals.

This is not a moral principal that is applicable to all situations. For example, Paul said the following,

Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law. To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it. (1 Cor 9:19-23)

If your purpose is for the higher good of trying to bring someone to the truth and you are not in danger of being lead astray then it is the right thing to bid them into your house or even tell them God bless for the Gospel. In other situations when you know that they do not have good will then you should have nothing to do with them. God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars

Found it. 2John 9-11 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctorine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctorine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctorine, recieive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed: For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds."

How do you know what the fundamentals are?

There are over 34,000 "christian" churches in the world, all that claim to have the correct interpretation. How can we be correct in know which church has the true doctrine?

Who chooses the fundamentals?

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk

ReformationNow

This is not a moral principal that is applicable to all situations. For example, Paul said the following,

Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law. To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it. (1 Cor 9:19-23)

If your purpose is for the higher good of trying to bring someone to the truth and you are not in danger of being lead astray then it is the right thing to bid them into your house or even tell them God bless for the Gospel. In other situations when you know that they do not have good will then you should have nothing to do with them. God bless

I think it also depends on the person too. If you have somebody who insists on denying the deity of Christ or some such thing, you should probably write them off.

"A heretic after the second admonition reject" Titus 3:10

ReformationNow

How do you know what the fundamentals are?

There are over 34,000 "christian" churches in the world, all that claim to have the correct interpretation. How can we be correct in know which church has the true doctrine?

Who chooses the fundamentals?

ironmonk

I would say that the Fundamentals would be the absolute basic beliefs of Christianity.

God created the World

Thru temptation from Satan, Adam and Eve brought death and sin into the world condemning mankind.

Jesus Christ is God and the Son of God, born of a Virgin

Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again and now intercedes for us at the right hand of The Father

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are One

A Literal heaven and hell

The Bible is the Holy Word of God without error

The Church is an institution created by God

Cure of Ars

I think it also depends on the person too. If you have somebody who insists on denying the deity of Christ or some such thing, you should probably write them off.

"A heretic after the second admonition reject" Titus 3:10

Could be. I would hope that the Holy Spirit would shed some light on the situation. I think you need to decern if you are throwing pearls before swine (Mat 7:6) God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars

I would say that the Fundamentals would be the absolute basic beliefs of Christianity.

God created the World

Thru temptation from Satan, Adam and Eve brought death and sin into the world condemning mankind.

Jesus Christ is God and the Son of God, born of a Virgin

Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again and now intercedes for us at the right hand of The Father

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are One

A Literal heaven and hell

The Bible is the Holy Word of God without error

The Church is an institution created by God

How do you know that those are the basic beliefs of Christianity? Does it say in Scripture? How do we determine the important parts of Scripture?

What's to say that anything is basic in Christianity?

How do we know that the New Testament is the Holy Word of God? Did it fall out of Heaven? Where did Jesus say, "write a book"? How do we know that these are the very writings of the Apostles and other Disciples?

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

I WOULD SAY "GOD BLESS YOU" TO A SATANIC!!!

Did you read that right????

WHY would I POSSIBLY ATTEMPT TO DENY ANY BLESSING FROM MY HEAVENLY FATHER????

GOD BLESS YOU:

Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, Scientologists, Agnostics, Catholics, Christians, Fundamentalists, Satanics, Wicca followers, etc., etc., etc...

Chrysologus

The epistles of John also tell us not to pray for people in mortal sin. Just because a biblical author gives his opinion about a specific instance of something, doesn't mean that it's God's commandment to follow that advice in all situations, or even in that specific situation.

Cure of Ars

Jesus also said to love our enemies and pray for them. (Matt 5:44) I think this would include praying God bless. In fact in in the King James Version is uses the word "bless". But if a person does not have good will I think John is right that we should not let that person in our homes. Especially if they are trying to lead someone into error.

Edited by Cure of Ars