An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saying 'God Bless You' To Mormons

ReformationNow

Okay, say a Mormon or other such heretic comes to your door. When they leave, would you ever say "God Bless You" or another like term?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='inDEED' date='Jul 9 2003, 12:50 AM'] I WOULD SAY "GOD BLESS YOU" TO A SATANIC!!!

Did you read that right????

WHY would I POSSIBLY ATTEMPT TO DENY ANY BLESSING FROM MY HEAVENLY FATHER????

GOD BLESS YOU:

Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, Scientologists, Agnostics, Catholics, Christians, Fundamentalists, Satanics, Wicca followers, etc., etc., etc... [/quote]
what are scientologists, agnostics, and wicca followers????

most of all agnostics

and I really dont think that if you say God bless you to someone that you are really in a state of mortal sin. Frankly i think its kinda silly how youre taking it so seriously like if they sneeze it depends if you say God bless you.

cmotherofpirl

You should always say God bless you to these people: they need ALL the help they can get!!!

what exactly does the blessing mean? can saying God Bless you simply mean you wish God to do his will of conversion in their lives, and to protect them in their day?

toledo_jesus

I'm kind of confused about the word heretic here. In my opinion, there are few actual heretics today. Seeing as how to be a heretic you have to officially reject Church teaching, and so many people have never been taught in the Church.
But hey, I say pray for anybody you want!!! Most people could use a prayer or five. And say 'God Bless You' to anybody, just to remind them that people still believe. That's what I think anyway.

May God bless us all. May He bless everyone...... May all come to His truth. I pray especially for God to bless those who do not know Him. If their knowledge is imperfect, I pray for Him to bless them all the more to recieve a more perfect relationship with Him.
Bless them, Bless them, Bless them.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote] what are scientologists, agnostics, and wicca followers????
[/quote]

Scientologists believe that the place of science is highest. Essentially, nature and its laws are the only thing behind the scenes.

Agnostics are what I like to call "Non-committal Atheists". They don't believe that there is necessarily any divine entity, but they don't officially say that there isn't. They just don't think we can ever know for sure.

Wicca followers (a.k.a. Wiccans) are magic-believing neo-pagans. They are usually, to be somewhat humorous, teenage girls with self-esteem issues and separated families. A friend of mine sighs relief that they will never take over the US government because "16-year-olds can't vote". Unfortunately, there are some of them who are extremely confused and think that Wicca is compatible with Christianity...I've even had debates with kids who claimed the religion "Catholic Wiccan" :wacko:.

I say God Bless You to everyone, even if they don't believe in God, because even though they believe He doesn't exist He knows that those people do.

RandomProddy

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 27 2004, 05:52 AM'] Scientologists believe that the place of science is highest. Essentially, nature and its laws are the only thing behind the scenes. [/quote]
I think you might be mixing up "Scientologists" with "Christian Scientists". Scientology is [i]really[/i] weird.

I say "God bless" to all people. God's grace brings sinners to repentance, and I'd want sinners to repent.

Is it true that the Bible forbids praying for mortal sinners? Sounds kinda odd to me, especially in light of the Fatima prayer: "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell, especially those in most need of Thy mercy." It would seem that "those in most need of Thy mercy" would be mortal sinners.

God bless,

Jennifer

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote] I think you might be mixing up "Scientologists" with "Christian Scientists". Scientology is really weird.[/quote]

Scientology is wierd. I don't know much about it...I was only trying to put down the basics. I know that Tom Cruise is one and that John Travolta is one (and claims that he was homosexual and that they cured him of it) and I know that it costs a whole bunch of money to join...like some sort of Gnostic sect kinda thing.

It's odd...

Whoa! I never knew that John Travolta said he used to be gay. I remember reading that Tom Cruise said that Scientology cured him of his dyslexia. Their beliefs are kind of strange. Their beliefs are based on a spaceship, so... Yeah, it's a bit strange.

God bless,

Jen

I dont know if anyone picked up on this, in the first page, didnt seem to in the first half, but Mormons cant be heretics. Why? Their baptism isnt valid. St. Peter.net has an article about how the Church changed their stance of Mormon baptism and found that their doctrine of God, is polythiest and not monothiest, therefore voiding their baptism, therefore they cant be heretics. Their Infidels.

[b]Heres the article:[/b]

[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=15995"]Mormon Baptisms Deemed Invalid[/url]

VATICAN, Jul 17, 01 (CWNews.com) -- The baptism conferred by the Mormon sect is not valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. That announcement-- which represents a change from past assumptions-- came from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Continued...[[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=15995"]Link[/url]]

[b]DRV 2 John 9-11:[/b]

[b]9[/b] Whosoever revolteth and continueth not in the doctrine of Christ hath not God. He that continueth in the doctrine, the same hath both the Father and the Son.
[b]10[/b] If any man come to you and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into the house nor say to him: God speed you.
[b]11[/b] For he that saith unto him: God speed you, communicateth with his wicked works.

[b]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
New Jerome Biblical Commentary, [i]2nd Edition 1995,97, 2000[/i]. Pg 994 2 John (1-13); 3 John (1-8), [b][62:37-42][/b]:

[b]9.[/b] [i]anyone who is "advanced" and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God:[/i]The only use of [i]proagein[/i], "go ahead," "make progress," "advance," in the Johannine writings. It may represent a claim that dissidents made for their teaching. [i]doctrine of Christ[/i]. Although [i]didache[/i] refers to the teaching given by Jesus in John 7:17, 19;18:19, the meaning here appears to be teaching about Christ, the true confession authoritatively handed down by the tradition of witnesses. Exegetes who hold that this expression refers to the teaching that comes from Christ emphasize the role of the Spirit/Paraclete in continuing that teaching (John 14:16,26) and in constituting the presence of Jesus among Christians.

[b]© Take Action against the Dissidents (vv10-11).[/b]

[b]10.[/b] [i]do not recieve him into the house and do not greet him:[/i] A ban against dissident preachers. The presbyter clearly considers them a threat to other communities, not merely a group that has left the "fellowship". Their missionaries may have been spreading their views by claiming to teach Johannine tradition.

[b]11:[/b] [i]shares his evil works:[/i] The vb. Koinonein, "share," recalls koinonian echein, language of an association for missionary purposes all who contributed "shared" the fruits of that association (cf. Phil 1:5-7). Hospitality for travelling missionaries was important to the Johnannine fellowship. Those who aid the dissidents thus become partners in deeds that are like Cain's, from the evil one (1 John 3:12).

[b]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

Edited by MorphRC

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 26 2004, 10:52 PM'] Scientologists believe that the place of science is highest.  Essentially, nature and its laws are the only thing behind the scenes. [/quote]
I think you talking more about the Church of Christ Scientist. Scientology is a whole different ball of "yarn".

[color=red]EDIT: Whoops! Sombody already beat me to it![/color]

Edited by thicke

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='Jun 26 2004, 11:29 PM'] Whoa! I never knew that John Travolta said he used to be gay. I remember reading that Tom Cruise said that Scientology cured him of his dyslexia. Their beliefs are kind of strange. Their beliefs are based on a spaceship, so... [/quote]
Keep in mind too that Travolta and Cruise both also "used to be" Catholic....