Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 5, 2004 Posted November 5, 2004 [quote name='phatcatholic' date='Nov 5 2004, 11:36 AM'] woh, we found raphael's touchy-spot! just kiddin bro [/quote] Actually, it is a touchy spot. Economics speak to the wallet, which generally interests everyone. There are no perfect economic plans and each have their strengths and weaknesses and economic issues tend to be very divisive, which is not a good thing for the academy. Everything the Church teaches is already agreed by all camps and that is the spirit behind ethical economics...the method is not defined and most likely never will be, as it needs to be adjustable with a myriad of different situations.
Iacobus Posted November 5, 2004 Posted November 5, 2004 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 5 2004, 07:19 AM'] 1. I don't see how that's relevant to apologetics. [/quote] I think it is relevant because a lot of people don't know about it. Granted, in apologetics against attacks it rarly comes up, however, when speaking to other Catholics it is important because it is commonly skipped over. If I were to teach it, all I would say is read "Gaudium et Spes." And just a note, some Christian group is getting all mad about the election of Bush saying we created "moral gap" in our thought. We only think about abortion and/or gay marriage and nothing else in the matters of Faith and Morals. So, knowing something, either from the EWTN thing on Vatican II, or the new "book" on social justice, or from Gaudium et Spes would be useful in combating that attack. Edited November 5, 2004 by Iacobus
phatcatholic Posted November 6, 2004 Author Posted November 6, 2004 if you responded "yes, i can make that commitment" make sure that you post in this thread so that i know who you are. also note that the Academy and the Crusade are a package deal. if you want to be a crusader, you have to join at least one class in the Academy. if you want to learn more in the Academy, you have to join the Crusade. i know, i'm mean, what can i say?
franciscanheart Posted November 6, 2004 Posted November 6, 2004 im in.... i posted on the apo board too.... so include me pwease
Benedict Posted November 6, 2004 Posted November 6, 2004 If I can get to the Crusade through the Academy, so be it.
crusader1234 Posted November 6, 2004 Posted November 6, 2004 Raph, a few things. I think that you, as a more right wing person, like to ignore Catholic social teaching because it doens't coincide with your own opinions regarding economics. Economic teaching isn't as 'up for debate' as people like to think - the church has TONS of information on it and there are tons of textbooks which have been given Imprimatur or Nihil Obstat. Your post, by the way, said that it was looking for stuff about Catholic ethics. How we spend our money and how we act towards issues such as the environment or child labour is definately a matter of faith and ethics. However, as this is 'your thing' then thats fine if you don't want to include it, even if it does show a general lack of respect you have for Church teachings on economics.
phatcatholic Posted November 6, 2004 Author Posted November 6, 2004 dont worry, be happy anyone else still need to post?
Iacobus Posted November 6, 2004 Posted November 6, 2004 I posted, but didn't really express intrest, it was more to back up Rich, but I mean to express intrest.
phatcatholic Posted November 7, 2004 Author Posted November 7, 2004 the teachers for each subject will be determined after the weekend. i'll update you all when further information becomes available
SirMyztiq Posted November 7, 2004 Posted November 7, 2004 No. Not because I'm not Catholic but because I have a problem killing other people for their lands and stealing their stuff. I don't support Crusades.
phatcatholic Posted November 7, 2004 Author Posted November 7, 2004 [quote name='SirMyztiq' date='Nov 6 2004, 11:49 PM'] No. Not because I'm not Catholic but because I have a problem killing other people for their lands and stealing their stuff. I don't support Crusades. [/quote] well then, i suppose its a good thing the FBC is nothing like the crusade that you envision
phatcatholic Posted November 7, 2004 Author Posted November 7, 2004 bump............for any prospective students/crusaders
crusader1234 Posted November 7, 2004 Posted November 7, 2004 *cough* i can just hear the people going to hell due to not being adequately informed about important economic issues *cough*
phatcatholic Posted November 7, 2004 Author Posted November 7, 2004 [quote name='crusader1234' date='Nov 7 2004, 01:54 AM'] *cough* i can just hear the people going to hell due to not being adequately informed about important economic issues *cough* [/quote] *cough* you made your point *cough*
StColette Posted November 7, 2004 Posted November 7, 2004 *gives all the sickly ones a dose of cough meddie*
phatcatholic Posted November 7, 2004 Author Posted November 7, 2004 [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 7 2004, 03:04 PM'] *gives all the sickly ones a dose of cough meddie* [/quote] hehe, ur so motherly
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now