An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical Question about Mary

Guest Aluigi

If you saw Mary while she was pregnant with the Incarnate God, would you fall to your knees?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

answer this question more like would it be alright to fall to your knees, don't think well I'd just talk to her or something (you know, like the whole would I dance for you Jesus or to my knees would I fall? that's not the question here, so it's more like would it be okay for you to do that)

if you're non-Catholic, and you answered yes, think about this: that's the mentality of any Catholic when they are kneeling and praying an Ave Maria or any type of prayer to Mary et cetera.

she's in heaven, in the beatific vision, so she's in God's presence just as much as she was when she was pregnant with Jesus.

if you say no, think about this: that is the Incarnate God in her womb, Jesus Christ! would you kneel in front of Him when He's got a beard and long hair? then why not when He's an infant in the womb?

I'm hesitant to vote - it all depends on a few things.

1) Do I know it is Mary at the time?
2) Would I be able to sense the greatness?

While number 2 is most likely a yes, you never know. If I was walking down the street and had no idea who she was or who Jesus was (well he wouldnt be born yet now would he), I wouldn't unless she eminated glory - which she probably would.

So put me down for... yes?

M, just came to me. i am very interested in what the non-Catholics will vote.

c, yes, the question assumes you know it's Mary pregnant with Jesus. whether or not you could sense the greatness is irrelavant. you see Mary pregnant with Jesus, would it be okay to fall to your knees?

Edited by Aluigi

i'm a [b] pretend [/b] Catholic. if any Catholic wouldn't think falling to your knees in front of the pregnant Virgin Mary, they're prolly Catholic 'in name only'

of course, perhaps someone could make the case somehow. i was just being cute putting that pretend in there

Edited by Aluigi

:mellow: read the first post; the question is designed to give protestants more insight into Catholic Marian devotion. We're in the interfaith dialogue table, I'm of the same Faith as you so obviously we're gonna agree ;). It's the non-Catholics (or the pretend Catholics) that could potentially disagree.

Back to the subject.

CatholicCrusader

Even if a prot says yes, how does that make them believe in Marian devotion? Their whole purpose is to kneel to Christ, Who is present in the womb, since life begins at conception. They could easily say: She is no longer pregnant.

Do they reject the Immaculate Conception and the sinlessness of the Blessed Virigin even up until She conceived? If so, that would be another reason: after She gave birth, they think She committed sin. (I don't know if they even believe She was free from sin before).

In any event, I see your point, but it is not a very effective argument, unless I am missing something.

it's just another perspective for them. read the first post- Mary is in Heaven, as much in the presence of God as she was when she was pregnant with Jesus. it's not 'start doing Catholic Marian devotion!' or nothing, i'm inviting them to think about what Marian devotion really is and to come to a deeper understanding. oi ve, with all these Catholic arguing against my question :wacko: lol... this is really supposedta be an interfaith dialogue moment, so I would still really appreciate non-Catholic responses.