An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical Question about Mary

Guest Aluigi

If you saw Mary while she was pregnant with the Incarnate God, would you fall to your knees?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i dont know if this is even a valid question....how much of a choice might we actually have in this situation?

what i mean is, if we were in the presence of God, say in heaven for example, we would instinctively fall on our knees and worship God, no question about it (in my mind). it would be more of a necessary, logical reaction, to worship the Lord.

i don't know if Jesus in the womb would have this same effect. maybe so, maybe no. if it did, then would it be safe to assume that we should fall to our knees and worship Jesus when He's contained in any sort of vessel, such as a chalice or monstrance? because i've never had the sort of reaction in the past.

did Jesus' apostles automatically fall to their knees while He walked among them? no, they walked together, talked together. at certain times the fell to their knees, but at certain times they sat at His feet at listened, at certain times they laughed at His jokes (just assuming He would tell jokes who knows) or had fun.

okay, so you're back in time and you encounter Mary on her way to bethlehem. she Has Jesus in her womb (that made John the Baptist leap in the womb himself). would it be alright to fall to your knees in front of Mary?

oh, so the question is more about if it's ok to do, rather than would you actually do it?

i suppose it's ok to do, i'm not sure if i would actually do it. hypotheticals are tough.

yeah, there's the whole "would I dance for you Jesus or to my knees would I fall?" question, but all would admit falling to your knees would be a legitimate reaction to seeing Jesus.

so would you admit it as a legitimate reaction to seeing Mary pregant with Jesus is the question.

I would prolly say..(without voting yet)

Hail Mary, full of Grace. The Lord is with thee, and [i]in[/i] thee, and boy oh boy...Girl you got it goin on! HOOWA!!

Im sorry, that just popped into my head and I had to share it with ya'll.
No disrepect.

Pax

Oh, and forgot to remark...

If I [i]knew[/i] that she was carrying God,
why wouldnt I fall to my knees? (and maybe still make that comment)

Im not worshipping her.

Edited by Quietfire

yea, i would say that if you recognized that Mary was pregnant with your Savior, it would be legit to bow down and worship Him......emphasis on *Him*

haha i wonder what Mary's reaction would be to this? i bet she would feel real awkward with someone on their knees in front of her, but not really because of her.

hehe sure sure. while Mary was on earth and people did this to her (the Magi, for instance) I'm sure she felt awkward. but 2004 years later, she's gotten used to it.

because that's what Catholics do when they pray a Hail Mary. Notice that's taken from the Angel Gabriel's words from the moment of the incarnation, the first time Jesus was within Mary's womb. The legend of Eulalia from about Anno Domini 304 has Mary saying "Let me tell you that when you greet me with the Angelic Salutation I experience a great thrill of joy, especially when you say slowly the words Dominus Tecum (the Lord is with you), because it is then that I feel my Son within me even as he was with me, true God and true Man, when he consented to be born of me for the sake of sinners"
of course, this is a legend, a tradition, but it has something important to teach us. Mary is in heaven (we would say body and soul, but that's not an important point of contention right now) in the presence of Jesus. To pray the Hail Mary, expecially considering the clause "Dominus Tecum" is to contemplate Jesus' presence with her. Is anything wrong with that? It's like kneeling in front of the pregnant Virgin Mary.

Wow, we all (Catholics and Non-Catholics) are in agreement on a specific topic here?????!!!!!

tacos, so very tasty and good for you, ARE ON ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this is wrong, but I fall on my knees to gaze at my baby brother (not in worship of course, but in adoration). In front of God Incarnate within Mary's womb, kneeling would hardly seem enough!

CatholicCrusader

[quote name='mulls' date='Nov 26 2004, 05:13 PM'] if we were in the presence of God, say in heaven for example, we would instinctively fall on our knees and worship God, no question about it (in my mind). [/quote]
What about that protestant song.. how does it go: will I dance or to my knees will I fall?

Ha.. :rolling: :lol:

lol i mentioned that at least twice "will I dance for you Jesus, or to my knees would I fall" :P I like that song even if it's protestant so there :nanny: unless :unsure: you're mimicking me. :P

Fool4Christ, the falling to knees here is meant to denote worship. what exactly are you doing when falling to your knees to your baby brother? thanking God for the beauty of the young life perhaps? admiring God's handiwork perhaps? you are in worship of God there. adoration is worship, you are contemplating a work of God.

Edited by Aluigi