An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pledging allegiance to the USA flag...

Tony

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still love America.. but the Terri Schiavo case makes me question a lot of stuff... like how a congress can vote to pass a bill, the President sign it, and the judges not honor it.... a bill designed to protect life at that

Regardless of current events, I don't think it was ever right to pledge one's allegiance to a political entity.

Melchisedec

[quote name='Tony' date='Mar 28 2005, 04:49 PM'] I still love America.. but the Terri Schiavo case makes me question a lot of stuff... like how a congress can vote to pass a bill, the President sign it, and the judges not honor it.... a bill designed to protect life at that [/quote]
What bill is that?

Fidei Defensor

I dont feel comfortable pledging to a flag that stands for a country that has [i]liberty and justice for [u]some.[/u][/i]

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Mar 28 2005, 05:56 PM'] What bill is that? [/quote]
I beleive its jsut called "terri's bill" :unsure:

Melchisedec

[quote name='Tony' date='Mar 28 2005, 04:58 PM'] I beleive its jsut called "terri's bill" :unsure: [/quote]
Terris law was found to be unconstitutional. It was not struck down by a judges personal opinion.

Melchisedec

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Mar 28 2005, 04:58 PM'] I dont feel comfortable pledging to a flag that stands for a country that has [i]liberty and justice for [u]some.[/u][/i] [/quote]
Maybe now you have opened your eyes and see America has always been this way. And frankly I dont know of any place different.

While I am the first to say that we should be Catholic first, we are also to be American.

If one is born in this country, and one subscribes to the ideal of this country stands for, not necessarily what is, then we should pledge allegiance to the flag. For it is the flag that represents this country.

More than incidentally, there is more to this country than the overt and unsavory opinions of a few. While some abhor the moral good, it is obvious that the majority don't. The majority shout for the moral good. How many counties in the US voted for Bush????

The US is the best place to live. We should not be unpatriotic, but rather, we should stand tall, state that we are Catholic and American (in that order). But that doesn't mean that we should simply denounce the ideal upon which the pledge is founded.

Cam

1337 k4th0l1x0r

The federal judge in the case didn't strike down the law. The law stated that the parents could petition to have the case moved to federal court. The federal court did not accept the case. Courts actually reject cases quite often as there are necessary criteria a case must have in order to be heard. The federal court was not required by law to actually hear the case. They were required to have a hearing to see if the would hear the case.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Mar 28 2005, 06:58 PM'] I dont feel comfortable pledging to a flag that stands for a country that has [i]liberty and justice for [u]some.[/u][/i] [/quote]
That is a silly idea.

The flag stands for freedom for all, but we are imperfect people in an imperfect world. This isn't heaven or utopia and never will be. Freedom is something every generation must earn. If laws and ideas are wrong, work to change them.

But don't dishonor the flag of the country that gives you the freedom to work for those changes. That is wrong.

Fidei Defensor

Sorry, I didnt mean to sound ungreatful by what I have said, but you know what I mean by liberty and justice for some. I pledge allegiance to the flag of our countries founding Fathers, but I am not so sure about today. Yes, I love the U.S., but the definition of freedom is changing to much. When freedom means you can murder your child to make your life a tad bit "better", or when you can say that we arent allowed to display the very laws given by God, I dont like that freedom anymore. I think I have a problem with our government more than anything. While it is true that our country is great, our government is not.

i think that would should.....we are still technically "under God"......i obviously put more faith in my faith than i do my country, but despite resent events.....we are still an awesome country with a lot of freedoms that others do not......(cough cough)...... religion

i am very proud to be an american.....but it does make mistakes

kinda the way i love being a catholic......but we havent always done the best of things...........

Mary's Knight, La

part of being loyal, hence pledging allegiance, to america is to hold it accountable for wrongs the nation commits, america will always have my allegiance, and my support to when I think it is in the right

burnsspivey

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Mar 29 2005, 10:12 AM'] or when you can say that we arent allowed to display the very laws given by God, [/quote]
No one has said this. What courts have said is that [i]government institutions [/i]can't promote religion and posting the 10 commandments promotes religion.