An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Invitation

God Conquers

Sorry Jamie,

Somehow I'm having difficulty with even your claim that Mark 3:13 is using the word adelphos to mean "cousin."

The New American Bible renders Mark 3:31 as

"His mother and his brothers arrived." Where are you getting the translation "cousins" from?

[url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark3.htm"]http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark3.htm[/url]

Littleles

You asked for a greek scripture passage using the word adelphos. I quoted it from a Greek bible.

Whaddya want?

Hi Jamie,

I think what I asked you to produce was the use of the word "adelphos" in a Greek New Testament, in which "aldelphos" meant "cousin." ;)

LittleLes

Hi God Conquers,

You asked "Will it ever be prevailed against."

It was. The original Christian community in Jerusalem headed by James, the brother of Jesus, formed following Christ's Ascension , was destroyed by the early second century. See the death of James and the Roman conquests of 70 A.D. and 130 A.D.

What then is labeled Christianity continued as the Pauline Christian communities and the Gnostic Christian communities. Their belief systems were somewhat different than the Jerusalem communty's and different from each other. The Gnostic communites were labeled as heretical about the 4th century, as I recall.

LittleLes

But I need to return to my review of the Christian "evidences."

Edited by LittleLes

Littleles

I take it from your diversionary tactic that you are ready to admit error on the whole adelphos thing?

[quote]et misimus Timotheum [b]fratrem[/b] nostrum et ministrum Dei in evangelio Christi ad confirmandos vos et exhortandos pro fide vestra (1 Thessalonians 3:2)[/quote]

[quote]ĪŗĪ±Ī¹ ĪµĻ€ĪµĪ¼ĻˆĪ±Ī¼ĪµĪ½ Ļ„Ī¹Ī¼ĪæĪøĪµĪæĪ½ Ļ„ĪæĪ½ [b]Ī±Ī“ĪµĪ»Ļ†ĪæĪ½[/b] Ī·Ī¼Ļ‰Ī½ ĪŗĪ±Ī¹ ĻƒĻ…Ī½ĪµĻĪ³ĪæĪ½ Ļ„ĪæĻ… ĪøĪµĪæĻ… ĪµĪ½ Ļ„Ļ‰ ĪµĻ…Ī±Ī³Ī³ĪµĪ»Ī¹Ļ‰ Ļ„ĪæĻ… Ļ‡ĻĪ¹ĻƒĻ„ĪæĻ… ĪµĪ¹Ļ‚ Ļ„Īæ ĻƒĻ„Ī·ĻĪ¹Ī¾Ī±Ī¹ Ļ…Ī¼Ī±Ļ‚ ĪŗĪ±Ī¹ Ļ€Ī±ĻĪ±ĪŗĪ±Ī»ĪµĻƒĪ±Ī¹ Ļ…Ļ€ĪµĻ Ļ„Ī·Ļ‚ Ļ€Ī¹ĻƒĻ„ĪµĻ‰Ļ‚ Ļ…Ī¼Ļ‰Ī½Ā  (1 Thessalonians 3:2)[/quote]

fratrem and adelphos....brother and brother NOT used in the sense of blood brother, but rather in a fraternal sense.

You lose. Time to move on to another topic frater, oops, I mean adelphos, oops, I mean brother Littleles.

Cam

Hi hot stuff,

Please evidence my "diversionary tactics" used in the "adelphos thing."

I've proven my point, and you have been unable to provide a passage from the Greek New Testament in which the word "adelphos" was used meaning cousin.

It appears that you are now using the ploy of claiming you proved something when very clearly the exact opposite is the case. But that ploy is common with apologists who can present no evidence to support their assertions. ;)

LittleLes

Sorry CAM,

In 1 Thes 3:2, Paul is referring to Timorty (affectionately) as a "brother" not cousin.

I believe my challenge in several places was to produce an instance from the Greek New Testament in which adelphos was translated as "cousin."

LittleLes

[quote name='Cam42' date='Apr 5 2005, 08:10 AM']I have been waiting for weeks for that to come up [u]brother[/u] Littleles.

You are wrong again [u]brother[/u] Littleles.Ā  I would like to see where you come up with that argument brother Littleles.

Have you ever wondered why I have been calling you [u]BROTHER[/u] Littleles for the last month?Ā  It is precisely to show that you have no legs to stand on [u]brother[/u] Littleles.

This is in direct relation to Genesis 14:16, 29:15.

Yes, the old argument of [i]adelphos[/i].Ā  Do you know the problem with Greek?Ā  The problem with Greek is translation.Ā  You can find as many scholars to support our position as support yours.Ā  Hardly definitive.

However, when we look at a static (not dead) language like Latin, we see that there can be no argument as to meaning.

It is clear that in the times in which these books were written; the word brother is used to mean more than blood brother.Ā  There is nothing that proves your point.Ā  Brother has many connotations, wouldn't you agree [u]brother[/u] Littleles?

Cam[/quote]
Well????

I've given the Latin and the Greek in an above post to support the Latin. Wanna try me brother Littleles?

You lost, let it go. New topic. Or better yet, how about we get back to the topic and have you answer the several questions posed to you.

Cam

N.B. Where did I give the argument that it meant cousin. That is between you and hot stuff. I am talking about the dual meaning of brother.

Brother Littleles.

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Apr 5 2005, 07:26 AM'] Hi Ayed,

I'm afraid you are getting off topicĀ  with your question.

But, yes. The Gospels, Epistles, and even the writings of Josephus, the contemporary Jewish historian, all written in Greek which has a specific word for biological brother, claim that Jesus had brothers.

But St. Jerome changed these "brothers" into 'cousins" for doctrinal reasons. ;)

LittleLes [/quote]
The cousin idea is your assumption....I am telling you that your exegesis may be incorrect.

I have shown you that brother doesn't necessarily mean blood brother. We can't know, simply by the word adelphos what Mark means.

And incidentally, how can you know this, you admittedly don't speak Greek. Are you relying on someone's traditional teaching to prove this for you? And whose would that be traditional teaching would that be?

Cam

Hi CAM,

Are you then claiming that everytime the writers of the gospels, the epistles , and Josephus term Jesus' brothers as "adolphos" they really meant NOT his brothers? And does this apply to his sisters as well? ;)

I sometimes call a young man "son," but when I refer to my own sons as son, does this mean that they are NOT my sons?

Isn't your and Jerome's claim a bit absurd? :D

Its a shame what apologists and Jerome have to try to maintain for doctrinal reasons. :P I couldn't keep a straight face trying to convince people that Jesus' brothers always means NOT his brothers. :rolleyes:

LittleLes

Edited by LittleLes

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Apr 5 2005, 11:19 AM'] Hi CAM,

Are you then claiming that everytime the writers of the gospels, the epistles , and Josephus term Jesus' brothers as "adolphos" they really meant NOT his brothers? And does this apply to his sisters as well? ;)

I sometimes call a young man "son," but when I refer to my own sons as son, does this mean that they are NOT my sons?

Isn't your and Jerome's claim a bit absurd? :D

Its a shame what apologists and Jerome have to try to maintain for doctrinal reasons. :P I couldn't keep a straight face trying to convince people that Jesus' brothers always means NOT his brothers. :rolleyes:

LittleLes [/quote]
And my point is proven.

Have a nice day brother Littleles. Have you not noticed that I have been calling you my brother for the last month or so?

Cam