dUSt Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 Nominate the possible successors here. All serious nominees will be given their own thread where we can discuss all of their pros and cons. When the conclave begins, we will start a poll here at phatmass and see if our votes produce the same results as the Vatican!
Brother Adam Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 (edited) Cristoph Schonborn, 60, Austria Edited April 8, 2005 by Brother Adam
J.R.D Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 (edited) Cardinal Giovanni Battista Edited April 8, 2005 by J.R.D
jmjtina Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 Cardinal Francis Arinze [img]http://www.ewtn.com/HolySee/images/cardinal_images/263.jpg[/img]
fled Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 HHmmm theres only one Cardinal I truly know enough about to say I love the man, which is Cardinal Avery Dulles (USA), who was never a serious candidate, and who is even too old to vote (86). But the man's theology rocks. Aside from that...I tried to start a poll in this section, but could not...it was just a harmless one to gauge everyones feelings/ vibe like are you: Excited, Sketpical, Totally submissive to the Church's decision, Count'nt care less, Still missin JP II too much and cannot give our Pontiff-to-be the emotional attentions he deserves? Being a somwhat of a theologean, I find this temporary time warp back into the past, filled with tradition amazingly exciting. My candle still burns for JP II @ night tho Sorry if this seemed like a hijack, it totally wasnt. Onto the candidates....
Thomas Michael Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 (edited) I read somewhere that one of the cardinals favored to become pope is from Argentina... Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 68, Archbishop of Buenos Aires. Edited April 8, 2005 by Thomas Michael
Cam42 Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 [quote name='J.R.D' date='Apr 8 2005, 05:07 PM'] Cardinal Giovanni Battista [/quote] Re Don't forget his last name.
Guest Eremite Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 My vote goes to Cardinal Ratzinger. Another possible candidate is Cardinal Cipriani of Lima, Peru.
Fidei Defensor Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 If anyone cares, the Vatican website has an area with all the cardinals and their pictures, bio's, etc.. [url="http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/cardinali_fotografie/cardinali_fotografie_aa_index_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/...a_index_en.html[/url]
dUSt Posted April 8, 2005 Author Posted April 8, 2005 Another place for pictures: [url="http://www.catholicpressphoto.com/Cardinali/default.htm"]http://www.catholicpressphoto.com/Cardinali/default.htm[/url]
argent_paladin Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 This is my favorite site: [url="http://www.catholic-pages.com/hierarchy/cardinals_list.asp"]http://www.catholic-pages.com/hierarchy/cardinals_list.asp[/url] because you can sort the cardinals by age, election, rank and nationality. So, I nominate: Dario Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos, Prefect of the Congregation of Clergy Salvatore Cardinal De Giorgi, Archbishop of Palermo, scholar and spiritual man Camillo Cardinal Ruini, Vicar General of Rome, basically acts as the bishop of Rome Francisco Javier Cardinal Erazurriz Ossa, Archbishop of Santiago de Chile I selected these on three assumptions (which could be wrong, but are logical): 1. They will look for someone older, i.e. over 70 2. They will look for someone with lots of pastoral experience and outstanding administrative skill. 3. They will look for someone who has the formation of priests as a top priority. These four Cardinals are outstanding teaching pastors, who consider formation of Clergy as very important. I think they will be considered.
homeschoolmom Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 (edited) My "picks" are: Polycarp Cardinal Pengo, 60 of Tanzania Claudio Cardinal Hummes, 70 of Brazil Alfonso Cardinal Lopez Trujillo, 69 of Colombia Edited April 8, 2005 by homeschoolmom
Cam42 Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 Who knows why the proper way to call a cardinal is as follows? George Cardinal Pell or Dionigi Cardinal Tettamanzi or Francis Cardinal Arinze. Cam
homeschoolmom Posted April 8, 2005 Posted April 8, 2005 I don't know, but I hope you'll tell us. I was going to start a thread about that...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now