the_rev Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 I would like to nominate former Bishop in the Green Bay diocese, and the only US Cardinal who is not liberal in a sense is Andrew (I think that is his first name) Maida.
the_rev Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 I was wrong his name is Adam Cardinal Maida [url="http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/cardinali_biografie/cardinali_bio_maida_aj_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/...aida_aj_en.html[/url]
Cam42 Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 [quote name='the_rev' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:29 PM'] I would like to nominate former Bishop in the Green Bay diocese, and the only US Cardinal who is not liberal in a sense is Andrew (I think that is his first name) Maida. [/quote] [quote]I was wrong his name is Adam Cardinal Maida.[/quote] Wanna bet?!!!! I live in Detroit. He is a moderate when it comes to Theology, but he is definitely liberal when it comes to the Liturgy. Look at the Cathedral of Sacred Heart website and see the destruction.....it is sad. If you want a conservative cardinal in the US, try Justin Cardinal Rigali or Francis Cardinal George. Edward Cardinal Egan is Theologically conservative too. Oh, incidentally, Edmund Cardinal Szoka is a conservative as well. J. Francis Cardinal Stafford isn't too bad either, although his is not liturgically sound. But getting back to Cardinal Maida, he is NOT a conservative.....Moderate, yes, conservative, no. Cam
God Conquers Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 What if none of these is named? Can phatmass stand the shame!? Cardinal Ouelette Primate of Canada (Archbishop of Quebec) I havta rep the only acceptable Canadian.
Norseman82 Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Francis Cardinal George. He can get very riled up in defense of the faith yet has that personal touch. I've seen both sides personally. (Plus he grew up about a mile from where I grew up).
argent_paladin Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Cardinal Szoka is the only American I had on my list, even though it will never happen. Here's my full list: Fab Five: Errázuriz Ossa, Francisco Javier (Chile); López Trujillo, Alfonso (Colombia); Arinze, Francis (Nigeria); Ruini, Camillo (Italy); De Giorgi, Salvatore (Italy) In the Mix: Castrillón Hoyos, Dario (Colombia); Tettamanzi, Dionigi (Italy); Meisner, Joachim (Germany); Vidal, Ricardo J. (Philippines); Policarpo, José da Cruz (Portugal) Dark Horses: Turcotte, Jean-Claude (Canada); Hummes, Cláudio (Brazil); Rouco Varela, Antonio María (Spain); Bergoglio, Jorge Mario (Argentina); Poupard, Paul (France); Kasper, Walter (Germany); Rubiano Sáenz, Pedro (Colombia); Dias, Ivan Too young or too Eastern European: Rivera Carerra, Norberto (Mexico); Glemp, Józef (Poland); Vlk, Miloslav (Czech Republic); Sterzinsky, Georg Maximilian (Germany); Rodríguez Maradiaga, Oscar Andrés (Honduras) Long-shots: Ortega y Alamino, hot stuff Lucas (Cuba); Sandoval Íñiguez, Juan (Mexico); Poletto, Severino (Italy); Giordano, Michele (Italy); Szoka, Edmund Casimir (USA) I basically figure that someone as close to 70 as possible and a proven administrator, with pastoral experience, were the most important qualities. Also, I added in geography (I think it will be a Latin American or an Italian) and familiarity with Rome. Unfortunately, the two most important factors (the Holy Spirit) and personal charisma were not considered.
homeschoolmom Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 The media would have a field day if [url="http://www.catholic-pages.com/hierarchy/cardinals_bio.asp?ref=29"]this one[/url] was elected...
Q the Ninja Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 I was going to mention that none of the Cardinals are prefects any more. The offices are closed during the Interregnum and will be vacated at the election of a new Pope, who may reappoint them.
the_rev Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 [quote name='Q the Ninja' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:54 AM'] I was going to mention that none of the Cardinals are prefects any more. The offices are closed during the Interregnum and will be vacated at the election of a new Pope, who may reappoint them. [/quote] Yeah, all the cardinals lost there jobs but will be reappointed. Few higher cardinals received important roles at this time though.
the_rev Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 [url="http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/cardinali_biografie/cardinali_bio_sodano_a_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/...odano_a_en.html[/url] I could live with Cardinal Sodano being pope. I like him.
immaculata Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 My friend and I were discussing the prophecies of St Malachy, who prophesized that the next pope would be [i]Gloria olivæ[/i], the Glory of the Olives.... who would that point to?
Apotheoun Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Patriarch Lubomyr Cardinal Husar, head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Pope John Paul II was from Eastern Europe and he achieved great things for the Church over the last 26 years, and so I think that the Church should once again look to the East, only this time it should look even further to the East, i.e., to the Eastern (Byzantine) tradition. Cardinal Husar would be the first Pope from the Eastern Christian world in more than 1,000 years. Perhaps an Eastern Catholic Pope could restore full communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.
God Conquers Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Wow, it would be VERY interesting to have an Eastern Catholic pope. argent... I'd like to know more why you said Turcotte... He's the Cardinal Archbishop of Montreal, what more do you know about him? I'm Canadian and from what I understand he is an extremely gifted administrator. However, from what I know, I have reservations about his pastoral abilities.... Our Prime Minister's parish priest is a VERY outspoken voice for gay marriage, does nothing about the Prime Minister's militant support of abortion. He's done nothing about this even though it is so high profile. Paul Martin continues to define himself as "devout Catholic" and this priest supports him 100%. This is GRAVE scandal in the Church and the Cardinal has been silent.
Guest Eremite Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 The Pope is primarily the Bishop of Rome and Patriarch of the West, so it would be (IMO) a wrong move to give the West an Eastern Patriarch.
Apotheoun Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 [quote name='Eremite' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:29 AM'] The Pope is primarily the Bishop of Rome and Patriarch of the West, so it would be (IMO) a wrong move to give the West an Eastern Patriarch. [/quote] You have a right to your opinion, but of course the Pope did not share that view, which is clear from the fact that he appointed Eastern Catholic Cardinals. There have been Eastern Christian Popes in the past, and I'm sure that at some point in the future there will be one again.
Guest Eremite Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Cardinals are not Patriarch of the West. The East does not deserve to have Latin Patriarchs, and neither does the west deserve to have an Eastern Patriarch.
Q the Ninja Posted April 9, 2005 Posted April 9, 2005 Yes, but some Cardinals are Patriarchs and some Patriarchs Cardinals. We don't have (multiple) Patriarch(s) because of tradition, just like they have them from tradition.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now