An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Paul The Great!

Livin_the_MASS

Do you think the Holy Father should get this title?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Livin_the_MASS

John Paul The Great!

The title is for certain his in my book. With all that he has done for Christ's Catholic Church! May God Bless him in his reward in heaven!

God Bless
Jason

Sure, but it is up to the Faithful to proclaim it. It is a very rare title and I don't know if it will stick. Only two popes have it and only a couple more theologians have it, so we will see.

Gregory the Great
Leo the Great
Basil the Great
Albertus Magnus

I don't know of any more off the top of my head. However, I do think that he is deserving, but again there is no formal process, it is simply a proclaimation from the Faithful.

We'll see.

Cam

Q the Ninja

I also believe that it has to come a while after the person's death. We can't give it to him because we're so close to him, while years from now (probably after we're all dead) he could receive the title.

years from now the world will see the work he has done as perhaps the greatest groundwork for peace among nations. His stance on many issues will be viewed by theologians and scholars as what shapes the church in future years. Even his death stood as a lesson in dying with dignity in light of another case here in the U.S.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:56 AM'] I also believe that it has to come a while after the person's death. We can't give it to him because we're so close to him, while years from now (probably after we're all dead) he could receive the title. [/quote]
I think you're close, but not quite right. Unless we call him great, no one ever will...I think what counts is how long it sticks.

• 3 weeks later...
popestpiusx

I voted no. If we are going to give it to him, there are a lot of of other popes that better get it as well. I certainly agree that he was a great man, a great historical figure, etc. But to include him among the papal 'greats' is, it seems to me, quite the stretch. Now, I fully expect folks to come on here and accuse me of all sorts of silly things. So be it.

Don John of Austria

Well PPX I completly agree with you, I don't think he was that exceptional a Pope really, he wasn't a bad Pope, but he was Hardly a Great Pope. Leo XIII, Pius IX, both had it all over him. So let the accusations fly at both of us.

Ah, Pio Nono, now there was a great pope. I'm partial to Pius XII as well, and I think in the end history will be on my side. JPII was a good man, and I love him dearly. I'm wondering though, other than personal charisma and some solid teaching what made him "great"? Please don't misunderstand, I'm not in anyway denigrating him but was his contribution as great as Gregorian Chant?

peace...

i_see_things_upside_down

I definitely think that this man deserves this title. He was a very great man of God, worthy of much respect.

John Paul the Great!

cmotherofpirl

Since his writings run to 150 volumes it will take a bit of reading for many to decide. :)
But I have heard both bishops and cardinals and non-catholics all call him John Paul the Great and I agree with them.

My siggy has been the same for several years now :D