An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Paul The Great!

Livin_the_MASS

Do you think the Holy Father should get this title?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='21 January 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1264116522' post='2041880']
I voted no.
[/quote]
I also voted no.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 January 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1264520794' post='2044906']
I nulled my vote. Just in case anyone wants to know.
[/quote]

Still vacillating?

I've often felt as though it is expected that that I be a card-carrying member of the cult of JP2 in order to be a good Catholic. I think a vibrant love for the Pope, his writings, and the positive aspects of his papacy are great things to celebrate. People are often quite surprised that I might have reservations about such an honorific being given to JP2, as if in their minds he could do no wrong on any issue.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='26 January 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1264528469' post='2044963']
Still vacillating?
[/quote]
More like I refuse to speculate.

I sincerely believe the influence he exercised on the world as a whole speak volumes to his accomplishments. His writtings in time will speak for themselves and favorably towards this title.

As for me, he is John-Paul the Great, and always will be.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1264533935' post='2045071']
Interesting. Why did ya'll vote no, for the ones who didn't already say?
[/quote]
Most of those votes are five years old now. You probably won't get much more than you can already see.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1264533935' post='2045071']
Interesting. Why did ya'll vote no, for the ones who didn't already say?
[/quote]
Because I believe it is too early to judge whether or not the title is deserved.

Saint Therese

I think the title doesn't really make much difference, because he was truly a great man. And I mean greatness in its proper term-holy.

Lest ye all think me a stick in the mud, my personal opinion is that John Paul II will be canonized. :) That's as far as I ever bother to speculate.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='26 January 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1264534122' post='2045075']
Because I believe it is too early to judge whether or not the title is deserved.
[/quote]
Ditto

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1264534498' post='2045080']
I think the title doesn't really make much difference, because he was truly a great man. And I mean greatness in its proper term-holy.
[/quote]
I think the official use of the title "Great" does matter while the subjective use of the adjective 'great' is a matter of personal opinion. I would agree he was a great man in the great scheme of things. The question though is whether the term "Great" with a capital G should be from now on be attached to his papacy. I am not convinced his papacy was of historical "Greatness." Let the fervor settle a bit and let people of consequence who have a greater knowledge of Papal History discuss the positives and negatives.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='26 January 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1264542654' post='2045170']
Ditto

I think the official use of the title "Great" does matter while the subjective use of the adjective 'great' is a matter of personal opinion. I would agree he was a great man in the great scheme of things. The question though is whether the term "Great" with a capital G should be from now on be attached to his papacy. I am not convinced his papacy was of historical "Greatness." Let the fervor settle a bit and let people of consequence who have a greater knowledge of Papal History discuss the positives and negatives.
[/quote]

There is no formal or canonical process for applying the term "Great" to a pope; it is purely one of popular designation and as noted Pope Benedict has used the term for his predecessor numerous times. In past ages it was something applied by the faithful to popes they considered "Great"; therefore poll the faithful and you will have your answer.

S.

[quote name='Jason' date='08 April 2005 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1113014143' post='565705']
John Paul The Great!

The title is for certain his in my book. With all that he has done for Christ's Catholic Church! May God Bless him in his reward in heaven!

God Bless
Jason
[/quote]

***Catholics and non-Catholics alike praise and admire Pope John Paul II. Now he appears before God to be judged according to the truth. Man's praise will not influence or impress the Divine Judge, the true Head of the Church: "Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets" [Luke 6:26].

John Paul worked all of his life to bring peace on earth...but the One he claimed to represent had another purpose. Jesus said: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword" [Matthew 10:34]. Jesus preached one God, one way of salvation---John Paul gave false hopes to those who worship other gods and seek salvation apart from the Lord Jesus Christ, to Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists. Thus he is loved by all, but Christ was hated by all, and crucified!

He claimed to be the successor of St. Peter...but unlike Peter, John Paul taught others to trust in Mary and to surrender the hour of death wholly to her care. The apostle Peter taught people to call on the only name given by God for our salvation, the blessed name of Jesus the Messiah: "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" [Acts 4:12].

BOTTOM LINE: John Paul II was a false prophet who did not trust in Jesus Christ at the hour of his death but in Mary (i.e., a born sinner) who confessed her need of a savior herself [Luke 1:46-56].

Damiano