An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Paul The Great!

Livin_the_MASS

Do you think the Holy Father should get this title?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

popestpiusx

The reason I don't think it will stick is because of the reasons most are giving to support it.

For instance:
[quote] definitely think that this man deserves this title. He was a very great man of God, worthy of much respect. [/quote]

As opposed to Pope St. Pius X, Leo XIII, Pio Nono, etc. etc,? My point is, the same could be said of probably 250 of the 265 popes.

I could go on, but I must go.

Guest JeffCR07

while I most certainly do respect the opinions of both Don John and pspx, with whom I typically find myself agreeing, I do think that John Paul deserves the title "the great"

Perhaps you can blame it on my youth, and the fact that I have not had another Pope during my lifetime, but I cannot get past the idea that John Paul's Theology of the Body is, and will be, truly revolutionary.

I do not mean revolutionary in the sense of throwing out with some old order, but rather, that it is something that, if learned and understood, will have a huge impact for change in our society. A return to traditional christian sexuality, and a renewed appreciation of that same thing, can truly merit his being titled "The Great."

- Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Don John of Austria

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='May 3 2005, 11:06 AM'] while I most certainly do respect the opinions of both Don John and pspx, with whom I typically find myself agreeing, I do think that John Paul deserves the title "the great"

Perhaps you can blame it on my youth, and the fact that I have not had another Pope during my lifetime, but I cannot get past the idea that John Paul's Theology of the Body is, and will be, truly revolutionary.

I do not mean revolutionary in the sense of throwing out with some old order, but rather, that it is something that, if learned and understood, will have a huge impact for change in our society. A return to traditional christian sexuality, and a renewed appreciation of that same thing, can truly merit his being titled "The Great."

- Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff [/quote]
I hope your right.

I think he did more to change the papacy into a universal force among people of all faiths and diversity than almost any other pope. I think this alone should earn him the title, considering that it will have a major effect on the role of every pope that comes after him. He wasn't as great in certain areas as he was in others, but this combined with his extensive amount of writings should have major influence for years to come.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='dUSt' date='May 3 2005, 03:19 PM'] I think he did more to change the papacy into a universal force among people of all faiths and diversity than almost any other pope. I think this alone should earn him the title, considering that it will have a major effect on the role of every pope that comes after him. He wasn't as great in certain areas as he was in others, but this combined with his extensive amount of writings should have major influence for years to come. [/quote]
yes but at what cost, he reduced it's power among the faithful, which is more important?

Q the Ninja

I think great has a lot more to do with a person than the writings; that's why we have doctors.

I don't think he will be "the Great" right now.

son_of_angels

personally, I think he deserves the title, if only for his unique position as being one of the longest reigning pontiffs, and for succesfully guiding the church at a transition point, from paper to electronics, shouting to microphones. This, I think, will at least gain popular, if not historical, agreement for the title.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='21 January 2010 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1264104804' post='2041684']
Okay, who voted no??
[/quote]
15 separate people.

[quote name='Skinzo' date='24 January 2010 - 05:08 PM' timestamp='1264374522' post='2043747']
He definitely deserves it, as Pope Benedict called him thus in his first speech, and Sancto Subito! IMHO. :)

S.
[/quote]

I did not say I was incontrovertibly opposed to such an honorific; I just feel as though such infrequently bestowed appellations should be considered at length and with great sobriety.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='21 January 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1264116522' post='2041880']
I voted no.
[/quote]

Same here.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1264377557' post='2043786']
Same here.
[/quote]

Based upon my reading of your posts I feel we are of like mind on many things regarding the Faith. Although I defer to your obviously greater breadth and depth of reading and knowledge to back up your position.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 January 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1264374569' post='2043748']
15 separate people.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
i did.