An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why are you Protestant?

dspen2005

RandomProddy

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Apr 14 2005, 03:45 PM'] Charity people, charity...... [/quote]
Among other things...

Hi Everyone!
I just registered and I have to say that this board is wonderful! Everyone here is very charitable! I've been lurking but now I have to post something!

I have to make a post to Priscilla:
How wonderful it is to see you you asking relevant questions and wanting so much to find the truth! I congratulate you on that! I also encourage you to continue in your search but I have to ask a favor of you.

I've read a number of posts you've made concerning Catholic beliefs and I must respectfully ask you to stop referring to our veneration of Our Blessed Virgin Mary as MARIOLATRY! I find the term to be offensive since it does such a total disservice to our actual beliefs - it perpetuates the misconception or misunderstanding of our beliefs.

I don't get the sense that you mean any direspect. I wouldn't want another "lurker" to think that Mariolatry is an actual belief. It's just a very distasteful term.

I appreciate your understanding where I'm coming from. For someone on the outside looking in and asking questions, this is hard to wrap your mind around when you've been taught incorrectly for so many years. You might just consider referring to it as our "devotion or veneration of Mary" instead of Mariolatry.

Thanks,
Diana

Thanks Diana. I didn't know it was offensive.

I don't think I can change the title now because it won't let me.

However, I am happy for a Moderator to edit the title to "Veneration of Mary - Is it idolatry" (or something like that) if they so wish.

Priscilla,
I'm not used to this board and clicked the wrong button and actually sent this reply to your message file! Sorry 'bout that!

Anyway, No need to change the title, it was just a suggestion for future posts. I appreciate your consideration. I must say, you do have some interesting thoughts on the subject, though!

Hopefully, we can help you with a better understanding of all things Catholic!

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:52 PM'] Thanks Diana. I didn't know it was offensive.

I don't think I can change the title now because it won't let me.

However, I am happy for a Moderator to edit the title to "Veneration of Mary - Is it idolatry" (or something like that) if they so wish. [/quote]
Mariolatry suggests idolatry, which, I'm sure, by now, you've gathered from all the responses, it is not!

many people with whom i come into contact don't know what protestant refers to -- speaking with respect to protestants.

I don't understand why protestants cannot give a satisfactory answer to John 6. Or the fact that essentialy they believe that all Christians before Martin Luther (who by the way believed that Mary was and remained a virgin) were wrong. Since there is written evidence that Blessed Mary, the Mother of God, was venerated as early as the 200's, I will continue to do such. As for Sola Scriptura, since all one has to do is manipulate which books he wishes to have in the Bible, it seems to me illogical to believe in something that has divided the Body of Christ into THOUSANDS of sects. Jesus wished for his Church to be one. (BTY how do you decide which translation and which books to read? Luther kept ALL of the Deuterocanonical books.)

Tum

RandomProddy

[quote name='ardillacid' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:17 AM'] (BTY how do you decide which translation and which books to read? Luther kept ALL of the Deuterocanonical books.) [/quote]
NRSV with apocryhpa is worth a look.

photosynthesis

Priscilla, what you call "mariolatry" is not part of the faith and practice of the Catholic Church. The word "mariolatry" means "worship of Mary," which is something that Catholics just don't do. We honor her as our spiritual mother, the mother of our Lord and Savior. We ask her to pray for us, knowing her special, unique relationship with her son Jesus. But we do not worship Mary.