An Old School Catholic Message Board

ask da nun

materdei

I was just checking out your boards and I noticed alot of you have questions. So I thought I would create a board where you could maybe get some answers. I have been living religious life for 5 years. So if you feel comfortable ask away, and I will try my darndest to answer you! :thinking:

Guest ambrose

[quote name='materdei' date='May 2 2005, 07:03 PM'] I was just checking out your boards and I noticed alot of you have questions. So I thought I would create a board where you could maybe get some answers. I have been living religious life for 5 years. So if you feel comfortable ask away, and I will try my darndest to answer you! :thinking: [/quote]
Hello materdei,

Which religious order do you belong to? Are you a contemplative? I have lots of questions about monasticism and contemplative prayer!!

C'mon girls, let's talk to the sister. She can help some of us understand the complexities of religious life that goes beyond romantic images and desires!!

I am in a semi-contemplative order. We are the Daughters of St. Joseph, our spirituality is carmelite, though we are not cloistered. Our mode of life is more monastic than conventual as far as the way we pray, the manner in which we eat, our furniture, and how our convent is set up.
What are your questions on contemplative prayer?

MichaelFilo

I'd like to ask:

Do you wear your habit? Do the religious still see a need to wear the habit?

God bless,
Mikey

Mikey,
Great question!
We are currently waiting on the bishops permission to wear the traditional carmelite habit (brown wool blend, ankle length, wide wrist length cuffs, brown scapular, black veil, etc.)
The habit is [b][u]WAY [/u][/b]important!! If religious are to be a sign of heaven how can thaey if no one can see it?
I have to go now the bell is ringing for supper I will get back with you on this subject! I LOVE the habit!!!

MichaelFilo

I have alot of issues surrounding the habit. But I'll keep those aside for my own research. However, some require personal experience, not rules and regulations from the Church.

The first : Why is a bishop not allowing you to wear a habit. That seems to make no sense.

The second: Why do some not wear their habit, even with the option given? I hope to wear my cassok (sp?) everyday when I become a priest. I don't see why a religious figure would not... so you maybe able to give more insight. Although, you seem to like the habit too much to give not wearing one much thought. :) Why can't all nuns be like you...

God bless,
Mikey

ForHimAlone

[quote name='materdei' date='May 5 2005, 05:58 PM'] Mikey,
Great question!
We are currently waiting on the bishops permission to wear the traditional carmelite habit (brown wool blend, ankle length, wide wrist length cuffs, brown scapular, black veil, etc.)
The habit is [b][u]WAY [/u][/b]important!! If religious are to be a sign of heaven how can thaey if no one can see it?
I have to go now the bell is ringing for supper I will get back with you on this subject! I LOVE the habit!!! [/quote]
That is wonderful! The first time I saw the traditional Carmelite habit.... ah, it was love at first sight! ^_^ I hope everything goes well with attaining permission from your bishop! Please keep all of us in your prayers.

Kathleen

The reason we have to await the bishops permission is that we are a brand new community (only about 2 yrs old) and so we have to prove to the bishop that we are a viable community which really means we have to [u]grow.[/u] So right now we wear a "uniform" (a skirt and blouse deal)- holy patience right?! I was in another religious community that wore the full habit but ended up leaving to help with this new gem of the Holy Spirit. Anyhoo, Mikey I think that is awesome that you want to wear your cassock everyday- priests in cassocks say so much! ya know?
I think alot of religious are anti-habit because they are afraid that the habit defines them. I have heard so may older religious say that they don't [i]need[/i] the habit to be a nun, and while that is sort of true I don't think it is the point. Also many religious see religious life as a career (which makes me ill :ill: ) instead of a love relationship, and so the habit has no meaning to them because habits are said to be the wedding dress of religious. Habits/cassocks or clerics are important because like I said: how can we be signs without them? When you see a religious you are supposed to be reminded of heaven and how it is you will be living one day. Religious life is all about starting heaven early, which is why: they are virginal "those in heaven are not given in marriage", they do night vigils and fasting- in heaven there is no need for sleep or food even though we have the ability to eat and such- resurrected Christ, poverty- all things will pass away. Similarly with priests- they are to be beacons in the world- other Christs, which is why we need to be able to [i]see[/i] them.
Think about it secularly: every job or career has a uniform, particularly those in the medical field or safety departments (doctors, nurses, police officers, and firemen, etc.). Why? So when we need aid or assistance we can recognize who can help us. This is even more true in the Church! Priests and Nuns need to be clearly visible to the world. We as human beings need tangible reminders especially of the sacred, which is why the Catholic Church is so rich- full signs and symbols. I hope all that made sense if not, let me knoe and I will try and clarify.

Rev,
Bishop Sam Jacobs of the diocese of Houma-Thibodaux
He is an [u]awesome[/u] bishop, totally on fire for the Lord!!!!

MichaelFilo

Another question comes to mind, as a nun, how much of a role do you think you play in shaping people's religious lives. In olden days I suspect all the religious had a hand in teaching the Faithful, but I don't much of that anymore. Of course, their oppertunities have dropped as well, with less and less religious teaching at Catholic schools.

God bless,
Mikey

m2thebizzax

Hello everyone! Yes, I recognize a bunch of you from Onerock. Phil, congraduations on your acceptance!! I am really excited for you! God Bless!!

~*~ Mary ~*~