An Old School Catholic Message Board

ask da nun

materdei

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='Jun 3 2005, 09:21 PM']Whoa, very interesting. I wanted to join in the contemplative life but God has other plans. Thanks for answering though.

God bless,
Mikey
[right][snapback]606959[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What do you feel God is calling you to, Mikey?

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 8 2005, 11:14 PM']Carmelites rock.

Good questions Mikey.

You were right about it getting slightly side tracked. Stuff like that is not for the vocations board.

I have one, this is a bit more personal, but what does Carmel mean to you?

I don't know why but it is really *really* special to me and i am trying to figure it out, since i really have no reason to think that. It is a very good thing but strange because it is without motivation on my part.
[right][snapback]607733[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Great question, Though hard to answer! To be honest, I don't even know where to begin! Carmel is sooo special. For me the word is almost synonomous with intimacy. Carmel speaks of a LOVE relationship with God. All religious are Brides of Christ, but for me, it is Carmel that exemplifies that spousal relationship- being alone with the Alone!

Note: it probably speaks to you because it is in you (the desire for a love relationship with The Alone)!

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:21 PM']the alone? what do you mean?
[right][snapback]608067[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

"The Alone" was used by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity- it was what she called God. God as Trinity was her one desire. Her "lone" desirewas to be fully present to Him. Also God can be considered "alone" in that He is the only non-created being; there is none like Him, and yet He chooses to not only be with us, but to unite our very nature with His. This God- this Trinity, resides in every baptized soul. We need to become aware of His presence and to try to be with Him consciously- to be alone with The Alone!

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:15 PM']k that is kind of confusing. Beautiful but confusing. :)

Thanks for posting in the other thread as well.
[right][snapback]609119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

God can often be confusing, especially in the area of prayer!

Hey I was just one day looking on this website and i happent to come across you and I think that I met you at Abbey Youth Fest. I couldn't really get any information on your order because you didn't have anything else. So I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your order and what your apostolic ministry is.

It is so awesome how I found you on here it is defenintly Divine Providence. I also wanted to know if your order ever hosted any type of vocation retreats or if ya'll have ever had Come and See at the convent.
God Bless,
Sara

[quote name='futurenun' date='Jun 11 2005, 09:34 PM']Hey I was just one day looking on this website and i happent to come across you and I think that I met you at Abbey Youth Fest. I couldn't really get any information on your order because you didn't have anything else. So I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your order and what your apostolic ministry is.

It is so awesome how I found you on here it is defenintly Divine Providence. I also wanted to know if your order ever hosted any type of vocation retreats or if ya'll have ever had Come and See at the convent.
                                                        God Bless,
                                                          Sara
[right][snapback]609512[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well Sara, how wonderful that you found us! We have just put up a new website - www.daughtersofstjoseph.com so you can see us there. It still has some minor glitches that are being ironed out. But I think you will still enjoy it. Our community is in our infant stages - the Holy Spirit is just bringing us to where He wants us to be. So we are discovering who and what we will be. Our greatest desire is to truly be daughters of the Church as St. Teresa of Avila and St. Therese of Lisieux were. We are beginning by assisting Catholics in formation through Spiritual Direction and retreats and days of recollection. We are continually being surprised where God is leading us - recently our superior went on a mission trip to Haiti. She really had an amazing trip. We can't wait to see how God will lead us with this - maybe He wants Haiti to be part of our apostolate. Well I hope that answered some of your questions - if you have more please ask.
To answer your question on retreats and stuff: we are interested in hosting retreats, but as of yet have not found much interest. We do have Come & See visits for individuals or small groups. Our address, phone#, and e-mail info is on our website. We hope to hear from you- please pray for us!

:) Hello Sister!

I was wondering, when did you understand that God was calling you to be a religious nun? How did your family respond to it? Did you have support?

prayers for you and your fellow sisters, especially your sister Tabitha.

+JMJ
Tina

[quote name='jmjtina' date='Jun 13 2005, 07:28 PM']:)  Hello Sister!

I was wondering, when did you understand that God was calling you to be a religious nun? How did your family respond to it? Did you have support?

prayers for you and your fellow sisters, especially your sister Tabitha.

+JMJ
Tina
[right][snapback]610899[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Tina,
Thank you for your prayers, they are much appreciated!!!
Well, I first thought about becoming a sister when I was 18, just out of highschool. I thought about it for 6 months or so and spoke to my youth minister about it. I also visited The Blessed Sacrament and tried to talk to Jesus about it. I was very afraid of the idea of becoming a sister. My youth minister arranged for me to meet some sisters, and after meeting them I made the decision to try it.
My family was extremely against it! My father especially, I went to bed many a night crying about all the hurtful things he would say to me. Even after entering the community my father would send letter upon letter either tearing me down or bribng me to come home. He (and the rest of my family) finally came around after about 3 years or so. Now they love the fact that I am here!
My twin sister tried to support me through it all, though it was obviously painful for her too; she wanted to support what I wanted. My youth minister also was a tremendous blessing through all of it.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 14 2005, 10:28 AM']what types of retreats do you host?

are there silent ones?

where are you from again? (live)
[right][snapback]611293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well,
we mostly host "Days of Recollection" at parishes within our diocese, or weekly series of Reflections- again in our parishes. Our next one is on the Eucharist, it is a 4 week series in July @ St. Joseph's in Thibodaux, LA (thats where we live) :) . As far as weekend retreats, we have tried to host them but have had to cancel due to poor attendance. It is definitly a ministry we feel called to, we are just struggling finding interest. Silent retreats would definitely be offered, again if we could muster up individuals that would desire to attend.
Please keep that in your prayers!

Edited by materdei

[quote name='materdei' date='Jun 14 2005, 02:26 PM']Well,
we mostly host "Days of Recollection" at parishes within our diocese, or weekly series of Reflections- again in our parishes. Our next one is on the Eucharist, it is a 4 week series in July @ St. Joseph's in Thibodaux, LA (thats where we live) :) . As far as weekend retreats, we have tried to host them but have had to cancel due to poor attendance. It is definitly a ministry we feel called to, we are just struggling finding interest. Silent retreats would definitely be offered, again if we could muster up individuals that would desire to attend.
Please keep that in your prayers!
[right][snapback]611467[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I so hope you can because silents are the best, though i haven't been on one yet, i can't wait until i can go.

I will ask God for participants by the million. That might help. ;) (though honestly i will.)

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 14 2005, 03:07 PM']I so hope you can because silents are the best, though i haven't been on one yet, i can't wait until i can go.

I will ask God for participants by the million. That might help. ;) (though honestly i will.)
[right][snapback]611499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thanks, prayers are always appreciated!!!