An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music

Mrvoll

philothea

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 6 2005, 08:12 AM'] Words and music by Rick Founds

(Verse)
Lord, I lift Your name on high
Lord, I love to sing Your praises
I'm so glad You're in my life
I'm so glad You came to save us

(Chorus)
You came from heaven to earth
To show the way
From the earth to the cross
My debt to pay
From the cross to the grave
From the grave to the sky
Lord, I lift Your name on high [/quote]
:shootme:

The thing that I dislike about most Protestant or modern Christian music is that salvation is presented as a cut-and-dried, happy, fait accompli. I find follwing Christ to be a heartwrenching struggle, oftentimes rewarding, but sometimes almost impossibly hard.

This pablum is an insult.

I can't go into technical wrongness, though. I gave up apologetics a decade ago when I found myself turned into a miserable nitpicker.

Gal. 5:22,23

I'm going to attempt this, and I know I will probably regret it. This thread is like hammering a nail with your forehead. Although some might think this song is not reverent enough, and I personally find it sappy, Scripture supports it.

Verse -

Lord I lift Your name on high. "Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt His name together". Ps. 34:3

Lord I love to sing Your praises. "Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises." Ps. 47:6

I'm so glad You're in my life. "Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory!" Rev. 19:7

I'm so glad You came to save us. "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10

Chorus -

You came from heaven to earth - did He not?

To show the way - "I am the Way the Truth and the Life."

From the earth to the cross - He came from heaven to earth, and after
His time here, He went to the cross

My debt to pay - But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed
for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was
upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. Is. 53:5

From the cross to the grave - After He died on the cross, He was placed in a tomb

From the grave to the sky - He ascended 40 days after the resurrection into the
sky - After He said this, He was taken up before
their very eyes, and a cloud hid Him from their
sight. Acts 1:9

I await charitable replies...

Edited by Gal. 5:22,23

[quote name='philothea' date='May 6 2005, 09:27 AM'] :shootme:

The thing that I dislike about most Protestant or modern Christian music is that salvation is presented as a cut-and-dried, happy, fait accompli. I find follwing Christ to be a heartwrenching struggle, oftentimes rewarding, but sometimes almost impossibly hard.

This pablum is an insult.

I can't go into technical wrongness, though. I gave up apologetics a decade ago when I found myself turned into a miserable nitpicker. [/quote]
There really isn't any technical "wrongness" going on. Like I said, most protestant Christian songs are about the personal realtionship. It comes down to personal taste.

Some people like it, some don't.

Is it inappropriate to sing Christian music? Outside of liturgy, no.

To suggest that Christian music "displeases God" therefore it is never appropriate is a wrong assertion.

Its wrong spiritually and its wrong theologically.

Are there some Christian songs that I won't sing because of the lyrics? Sure. That doesn't mean I throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are some liturgical songs that I could go the rest of my life without ever performing again and die happy.

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 6 2005, 09:12 AM'] Words and music by Rick Founds

(Verse)
Lord, I love to sing Your praises
I'm so glad You're in my life
I'm so glad You came to save us

(Chorus)
You came from heaven to earth
To show the way
From the earth to the cross
My debt to pay
From the cross to the grave
From the grave to the sky

Repeat Verse

Repeat Chorus

Repeat Chorus

Lord, I lift Your name on high...

That is the first song.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
i first learned this song on a catholic retreat

corban711

if someone found doctrinal problems with that song, i would think they were reading into it. i could be proven wrong but that is what i think from reading the lyrics

Corban

I think you're ok!

I believe you may find that the whole "sola fide" argument and "displeasing God" argument has quieted down.

Humming El Shaddai is not a grave offense.

I could be wrong..

ardillacid

hmm...most of the protestant songs i listen to are, at worst, ambigous. If you didnt know if a Catholic or protestant wrote them you would never guess.

I can spot a Christian worship song or a Catholic song from a mile away. However, that's after many, many years of playing.

Also Protestants can write liturgically appropriate songs. Marty Haugen is not Catholic (anymore) but has a large collection of songs used in the Mass. Conversely, Catholics can write inappropriate songs for Mass.

Both can write really carpy songs as well. Christian music is much like any other form of music. Its about personal preference. I like country. Cam is a huge NSync fan. I've seen Garth Brooks live. Cam went to the Hanson concert.

MichaelFilo

If a non-Catholic gives it up to the Lord as worship, it is displeasing. As I said, their Faith is empty, or restricted by incorrect belief. They reject Christ's Church, and so whatever they give up for worship is displeasing to God. The arguement doesn't rely on how they worship. Even the Orthodox's worship is displeasing to God.

Their intent is good though.

God bless,
Mikey

Michael

I think you need to distinguish between protestant worship and protestant worship music.

Also, in regards to their worship, while protestants do not have the fullness of the truth, they are not completely devoid of the Truth. CCC838

[quote]The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324[/quote]

Does God wish all of us to enter the fullness of Truth? Absolutely. But it is not an all or nothing proposal in regards to pleasing God.

"Thanks for praising me but you're a Methodist. I'm displeased"

Unconditional love my friend.

MichaelFilo

The Methodist rejects God's Truth even when it is layed before him. His worship is displeasing. But why pit logic against logic? Let us differ to the Church.

[quote]“… remember that the followers of every heresy extract from inspired scripture the occasion of their error, and that all heretics corrupt the true expressions of the holy Spirit with their own evil minds and they draw down on their heads an inextinguishable flame" -Pope St.Celestine I, Council of Ephesus [/quote]

[quote]Pope Pius VIII, Traditi Humilitati (# 4), May 24, 1829:

“Jerome used to say it this way: he who eats the Lamb outside this house will perish as did those during the flood who were not with Noah in the ark.”(32)

Pope Gregory XVI, Commissum divinitus (# 11), May 17, 1835:

“… whoever dares to depart from the unity of Peter might understand that he no longer shares in the divine mystery…‘Whoever eats the Lamb outside of this house is unholy.’”(33)

Pope Pius IX, Amantissimus (# 3), April 8, 1862:

“… whoever eats of the Lamb and is not a member of the Church, has profaned.”(34)[/quote]

[quote]“The holy universal Church teaches that it is not possible to worship God truly except in her" - Pope Gregory XVI [/quote]

[quote]"In her (the Catholic Church) alone is Christ believed with a faith whole and entire, worshiped with sincere homage of adoration, and loved with the constant flame of ardent Charity" -Pope Pius IX Lux et Veritas[/quote]

Are you saying those popes were just kidding?

How about the Baltimore Catechism?

[quote]Q. 1148. How do we offer God false worship?

A. We offer God false worship by rejecting the religion He has instituted and following one pleasing to ourselves, with a form of worship He has never authorized, approved or sanctioned.
[/quote]

I simply believe what has been taught. Your arguement is that against which you have to accept on Faith.

God bless,
Mikey

Michael

You are trying to argue against the catechism. You might want to rethink that.

MichaelFilo

The Catechism says their worship is pleasing to God?

Besides, the Catechism is hardly infalliable. I'd give more credit to what popes have said time and time again over a falliable catechism. Thanks anyways.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='hot stuff' date='May 6 2005, 03:45 PM'] I can spot a Christian worship song or a Catholic song from a mile away. However, that's after many, many years of playing.

Also Protestants can write liturgically appropriate songs. Marty Haugen is not Catholic (anymore) but has a large collection of songs used in the Mass. Conversely, Catholics can write inappropriate songs for Mass.

Both can write really carpy songs as well. Christian music is much like any other form of music. Its about personal preference. I like country. Cam is a huge NSync fan. I've seen Garth Brooks live. Cam went to the Hanson concert. [/quote]
I may have gone to Hanson, but you are the one who dresses like them and has their former hair cut. It is time to cut your bangs Himester. Ok, maybe not, then you'd look like your idol, Debbie Gibson.

Cam

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 6 2005, 10:59 PM'] The Catechism says their worship is pleasing to God?

Besides, the Catechism is hardly infalliable. I'd give more credit to what popes have said time and time again over a falliable catechism. Thanks anyways.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Michael the catechism contains infallible teachings, and the pope called it a sure norm of the faith.

Do not argue against the Catechism of the Catholic Church.