An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music

Mrvoll

MichaelFilo

You should join the Catholic Church, and worship with the unity that God commanded. The Mass is open to everyone (except for the reception of Communion) and should be the only worship that is done.

That is all.

God bless,
Mikey

Nicole8223

A fitting quote for this discussion:

[quote]Catholics must gladly acknowledge and esteem the truly
Christian endowments from our common heritage which are to be found among
our separated brethren. It is right and salutary to recognize the riches
of Christ and virtuous works in the lives of others who are bearing
witness to Christ, sometimes even to the shedding of their blood. For God
is always wonderful in His works and worthy of all praise.

Nor should we forget that anything wrought by the grace of the Holy
Spirit in the hearts of our separated brethren can be a help to our own
edification. Whatever is truly Christian is never contrary to what
genuinely belongs to the faith; indeed, it can always bring a deeper
realization of the mystery of Christ and the Church.[/quote]

from UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO
Proclaimed By His Holiness, Pope Paul VI on November 21, 1964

And here's another fitting quote from the Catechism

[quote]"Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276[/quote]

(High fives Nicole)

Stceciliapray4us

I have spent about the last 20 mins sifting my way through the last 5 ? pages of this thread and I am now DEPRESSED.

Michael - I am a Catholic who was at one time a protestant and I must tell you this - in no way shape or form do I believe my worship at my old church was scorned or unheard by God. I prayed to know him more and more and the TRUTH is - he guided me to the Catholic Church - end of story.

Heresy is a word that does state TRUTH.... but do you go around calling all fat people FAT just for the sake of truth?

Spending more time in adoration and less time reading papal documents will help us ALL a great deal - Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II were two of the most loving and beautiful people that ever walked this earth - they were also VERY ecumenical. I'm sure more people converted because of THEIR approach rather than by being called a heretic followed by a random quote....

I'm gonna go eat lunch now.... I'm hungry.

Nicole8223

I think we are all in agreement with your point, St. Cecilia...with one exception. Please don't let one person's opinion speak for the whole.

It seems like it's easy to let pride take over sometimes...we have to pray for humility in dealing with others. I know I do!!!

You are right, prayer is the key. Thanks for your post!

[quote]I think we are all in agreement with your point, St. Cecilia...with one exception. Please don't let one person's opinion speak for the whole.[/quote]

Well maybe two. But the other one is busy trying to figure out how to answer me in a different thread.

I really hope this discussion continues for several reasons

Faith is important
Music is important

A lot of folks connect to various things through music. A lot of folks connect deeply to their faith through it as well.

Here's an advent song that many, many Catholics (and Christians) enjoy

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy, will one day walk on water?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know,
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered,
Will soon deliver you.

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand?
Did you know,
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby,
You've kissed the face of God.

Oh, Mary did you know?
The blind will see,
The deaf will hear,
The dead will live again,
The lame will leap,
The dumb will speak,
The praises of the Lamb.

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know,
That your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding,
Is the Great, I Am.

Written by a good songwriter named Mark Lowry. Oh and he's a Protestant. Its a very popular song and has been covered by several popular singers.

Nothing wrong with these lyrics as far as I can see. And I've seen this song genuinely move folks of all parts of life.

Would it be any better if a Catholic wrote it? No. How could it be?

davefromcm

Careful...

"This child that you've delivered,
Will soon deliver you."

This line contradicts the Immaculate Conception... Mary has already been delivered at the moment of conception and preserved from sin

Subtle but it's important

Dave Wang
www.CatholicRock.com

MichaelFilo

A good article on whether or not non-Catholic prayer and worship is received by God is here from Jimmy Akin ( a Protestant convert turned Catholic Apologist extraordinair, with a few set-backs) [url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0205bt.asp"]Validity of non-Catholic Worship[/url]

Don't get depressed on my account. I always argue my position. I argue it until the last drop, but whenever I fail to get a point across, or see my arguement has fallen around me (as it seems to have done so now), then I go back and research it more. Currently, my main outlet is a response from James (Jimmy) Akin that is pending, but I will sift through the sources. It hasn't been covered much. However, I still find the fact that if even Orthodox worship isn't pleasing, but damning, then surely lesser forms of worship at least are not pleasing.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote]This line contradicts the Immaculate Conception... Mary has already been delivered at the moment of conception and preserved from sin[/quote]

Actually while Mary is conceived without sin, this does not exempt her from the salvation offered by Christ's sacrifice.

DemonSlayer

What's annoying with listening to Christian metal bands, is that sometimes they often criticise religion (inc. Catholicism).

[quote name='hot stuff' date='May 12 2005, 01:11 PM']
Well maybe two. But the other one is busy trying to figure out how to answer me in a different thread.

I really hope this discussion continues for several reasons

Faith is important
Music is important

A lot of folks connect to various things through music. A lot of folks connect deeply to their faith through it as well.

Here's an advent song that many, many Catholics (and Christians) enjoy

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy, will one day walk on water?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know,
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered,
Will soon deliver you.

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand?
Did you know,
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby,
You've kissed the face of God.

Oh, Mary did you know?
The blind will see,
The deaf will hear,
The dead will live again,
The lame will leap,
The dumb will speak,
The praises of the Lamb.

Mary did you know,
That your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Did you know,
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know,
That your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding,
Is the Great, I Am.

Written by a good songwriter named Mark Lowry. Oh and he's a Protestant. Its a very popular song and has been covered by several popular singers.

Nothing wrong with these lyrics as far as I can see. And I've seen this song genuinely move folks of all parts of life.

Would it be any better if a Catholic wrote it? No. How could it be? [/quote]
No, I am just too busy with work to beat you with your harp....LOL

The point that I'm making is if the words are sound and true, what difference does it make that it was written by a protestant or a Catholic?

"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was written by Jack Norworth. Apparently he had never seen a game in his life. Is it ironic? sure. But I still stand up during the 7th inning stretch and sing. I don't grouse about the fact that it was written by a guy who loved soccer.

Q the Ninja

If it's written by a Protestant, it's not Gregorian chant and normally not polyphony.

Why use it then? :P

Edited by Q the Ninja