An Old School Catholic Message Board

True Devotion to Mary

Seven77

True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort

This book had a great influence on the life of our beloved late Holy Father--in fact that is where he got his Papal motto "Totus Tuus!" Latin abbreviated version of "I am all Yours and all that i have is Yours O Jesus through Mary". To Jesus through Mary is the summary, esp. Consecration to Jesus through Mary.

[b]Since its May, the month dedicated to Our Lady, i thought we should read as a phamily to show our love to Mama![/b]

Read Introduction #1-13 by Saturday May 7th

Read online:
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM[/url]

Buy:
[url="http://www.montfortmissionaries.com/publications/itemdtl.phtml?orderid=2258e0ab8ed32c68346dfc6588353680&idnum=104http://www.montfortmissionaries.com/publications/itemdtl.phtml?orderid=2258e0ab8ed32c68346dfc6588353680&idnum=104"]http://www.montfortmissionaries.com/public...53680&idnum=104[/url]

ForHimAlone

Great idea! I haven't gotten far into True Devotion yet, but I think it is such a beautiful work! I am planning to hopefully be consecrated on July 16, the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. :hearts:

Fides_et_Ratio

I had to read it for my Mariology class (and it's always good to read it again...)

I also asked my spiritual director (studying in Roma currently) to bring me back a scapular when he comes to visit for the summer. JPII's great and deep devotion to the Blessed Mother was very moving... thus, between his recent passing (and thus my return to reading his works... brilliant!) & my Mariology class w/ Dr. Miravalle, I asked for a scapular and have been trying to pray a Rosary every day (sometimes I've fallen asleep... when my mind wanders... but I'm getting better at "staying awake with Christ" :unsure: lol). :sweat:

MilesChristi

[quote]Since its May, the month dedicated to Our Lady, i thought we should read as a phamily to show our love to Mama![/quote]

Excellent idea! I'll be reading :)

philothea

Good idea! I'll see if I can read that section today.

Thanks for the online link. I have a whole box of [i]True Devotion[/i] books somewhere, but it'd take me a long time to find them.

Edited to add: Done! Now when do we discuss? :)

Edited by philothea

we can discuss right now!

this'll be dope.. its my 2nd time reading, and i just love the way it flows.

on the Intro--the humility of Our Lady! this is key for understanding everything about Her. i learned this first hand on pilgrimage in Lourdes.. and on coming back i found this book.

[quote]"Mary has been unknown up till now, and that that is one of the reasons why Jesus Christ is not known as he should be." [/quote]

philothea

When I first read this book years ago, it was almost too much for me. I don't know why.... St. Louis de Monfort is so exceedingly superlative in his descriptions of Mary. I couldn't understand it, I guess.

Now it seems a lot more obvious. I am still surprised by the hiddenness of Mary, though. I guess a lot of great saints seem very flashy, so it seems that being flashy must be a virtue? It may be, but clearly being hidden can be even better.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='philothea' date='May 7 2005, 08:18 PM'] When I first read this book years ago, it was almost too much for me. I don't know why.... St. Louis de Monfort is so exceedingly superlative in his descriptions of Mary. I couldn't understand it, I guess.

Now it seems a lot more obvious. I am still surprised by the hiddenness of Mary, though. I guess a lot of great saints seem very flashy, so it seems that being flashy must be a virtue? It may be, but clearly being hidden can be even better. [/quote]
I agree – the book seems to be clear and simple and as you say – obvious.

I admire saints who lead subtle and “non-flashy” lives, like The Blessed Virgin, and St. Joseph.
I think this is why I admire my grandmother – a very quiet unassuming and very prayerful thoughtful saintly woman. :)

I think these are important qualities that I really need to work at… I am lacking. Hmmm, I just found a personal goal for my life. :P

Lounge Daddy

Hey I like the online version – I just looked at it :)
I can put that on my pocket pc and read it on break at work!

[quote]I admire saints who lead subtle and “non-flashy” lives, like The Blessed Virgin, and St. Joseph.
I think this is why I admire my grandmother – a very quiet unassuming and very prayerful thoughtful saintly woman. [/quote]

Word, Lounge.

I really believe that the hiddeness of the saints is their greatness... that their 'flashiness' is a consquence of their hiddeness. Its all about the Beatitudes and Our Lady's Magnificat---"He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has lifted up the lowly" And that makes Her even more lovable.

in fact understanding the Blessed Mother as the most humble woman who walked the face of this earth helped me understand Her exaltated glory as Queen of Heaven. She shows us that we are called to go the way Christ went, Who humbled Himself and took the form of a slave so that we might share in His glory--(thats what the Ascension is all about). we can grow in humility cause Our Mother wants the best for her children!

lets read #14-22 and if yall are up for it read up to #36... by Vigil of Pentecost--youll see why!