An Old School Catholic Message Board

subjective man, objective God?

theculturewarrior

RandomProddy

Three university buddies (A physicist, an astronomer and a mathematician) were going to a reunion and were taking the train from London to Edinburgh. On the way out of th window they saw a single black sheep standing in a field.

The astronomer said "Look, all sheep in Scotland are black"

The physicist said "No, alll sheep in this field are black".

The mathematician said "In Scotland, there is a field in which there is a sheep, one side of which appears to be black".

I'm somewhat confused, but I'll just say that the truth is indeed objective. And there either is God or there isn't. There is no middle ground.

Now, we humans (I'm assuming you are humans too) are stuck to scientific ways of finding out the truth. And in science you can't find out the truth.

If you want to call it blindness, fine, but then there is no way of knowing who is blind and who isn't. And so the blind will not have objective knowledge of the sky.

theculturewarrior

If they blind lead the blind, they both fall into the ditch.

But I was blind and now I see. :)

Guest jdawg83

Either God exists or he doesn't exist, but our understanding of him is completely subjective. It all comes down to our own experiences. What may be "true" for you, might be a "lie" for someone else, and vice versa.

Guest jdawg83

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='May 14 2005, 08:53 AM'] But I was blind and now I see. :) [/quote]
What colour do you see the sky? Maybe you see it pink, but to a Muslim brother he might see it blue, and a Hindu red etc. Do you see the obvious flaws in your logic?

theculturewarrior

I'm trying to find where I made an assertion based on logic in the text you replied to. I see with eyes of faith. :)

theculturewarrior

Let me clarify that thought.

If I see that the sky is pink, and somebody else sees that it is read, and somebody else sees that it is blue, it is reasonable to suppose that at least two of us, possible three, are wrong. It is also reasonable to suppose that our perceptions have deceived at least two of us, and that the sky has a color that is universal and transcends our ability to perceive it. In the case of God, the objective Truth, he transcends our ability to comprehend it. :) The Truth can be known.

Guest jdawg83

Doesn't make sense. How can the "Truth" be known if he transcends our ability to comprehend it? You see the sky one colour, and everybody else sees is something else. However, if the sky has a universal colour and we cannot comprehend it perhaps there is no sky at all.

Truth is a person, and you can know Him, even if He is beyond comprehension.

I think that's what tcw is saying. :)

theculturewarrior

Truth is indeed a Person! (In fact, he is Three Persons in One Divine Godhead). And a if Truth is a Person, he can reveal himself to us.

And he has, and he has revealed to us that he can be tasted, touched, felt, loved and experienced in the Eucharist. The Truth can be known. It can be experienced.

Guest jdawg83

Yeah but it's all relative you see. The Eucharist is just wafer, but the beliefs you impose on it make it real for you and give it meaning. Similiarly, Buddhists come to "enlightment" through deep meditation and reflection, Muslims, Hindu's, Jews all have their own beliefs regarding God, but their convictions are just as strong as yours. Non-Catholic Christians don't take the Eucharist, but their fervour for God and the Bible is an obvious testament to the strength of their faith. I don't think placing all your faith and conviction in a peice of wafer is either reliable nor credible.

Edited by jdawg83

theculturewarrior

I don't place my faith in a waifer. I place my faith in the Body of Christ. But these are issues of faith. I'm sure the Eucharist has been defended to nth degree on this forum, and if you search the forum for "Eucharist," you may find more definitive knowledge of your chosen religion than I will give here. ;)

The issue is subjectivity vs. objectivity. Let's scrap the sky since you don't seem to get that. Let's talk about the Pope. If a protestant says that the Pope is the anti-Christ, and an Orthodox says no, he's not the anti-Christ, but he is the figurehead for a graceless heretical Christian Sect, and a Catholic says that the Pope is the infallible heir to Saint Peter, don't at least two of these statements have to be wrong? How can three contradictory statements be true at the same time?

Guest jdawg83

TCW, what is it you are arguing? You say you were once blind but now you can see. Is that a subjective or an objective statement?