An Old School Catholic Message Board

subjective man, objective God?

theculturewarrior

Myles Domini

Whether or not people believe things to be true if they have no objectivity it doesnt matter. What non-Catholics believe about the Eucharist, for example, is irrelevant because the Eucharist is what Catholics proclaim it to be. Catholic philosophy does not work from the Continental Rationalist premises that one cannot apprehend the truth of the nomena. Catholic philosophy works from the premise that not only can one know truth and that moreover we can have the truths apprehendable by natural means confirmed for us by Truth Himself.

Catholicism does not accept different types of truth or different levels of truth, the one thing recorded to have angered St Thomas Aquinas is when Sieger of Brabant accused him of doing this. What we know about God we know from God and we know objectively. There is no element of unknowing. What we could not understand philosophically was confirmed by the supernatural virtues of faith, hope and love given to us by God. We dont accept that for some God is a Trinity and for others God is not, or that God is ontologically distinct from the universe for us, and emanationist for others. These are contradictory statements and logic dictates one must be wrong.

Just because a Nazi believed non Caucasians were not people it doesnt mean they are not. Just because someone adheres to a subjective stance it doesnt give it validity. Anti-realism is incompatible with Catholicism but the philosophical presumptions that underpin your reasoning have thus far prevented you from seeing this. In short, if God exists (and He does) then He is a being with predicates. Just as if I exist I am a being with predicates. I cannot be 5ft 7inches to one person and 7ft 5inches to another, not objectively. I will be one or the other. Likewise God cannot be something to some and something to another.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='jdawg83' date='May 16 2005, 02:44 AM'] TCW, what is it you are arguing? You say you were once blind but now you can see. Is that a subjective or an objective statement? [/quote]
The objective shines into the subjective with rays of Faith and Reason. :)

theculturewarrior

[quote name='jdawg83' date='May 16 2005, 02:44 AM'] TCW, what is it you are arguing? You say you were once blind but now you can see. Is that a subjective or an objective statement? [/quote]
I see the objective Truth with subjective eyes. :) The sky is blue, by the way, with white clouds and a yellow sun. ;)

[quote name='theculturewarrior']If they blind lead the blind, they both fall into the ditch.[/quote]

You keep saying that you can see, but those that are blind (as you claim them to be) have no way of knowing whether or not you actually see. Trust in others will lead to that ditch. I'm sure you wouldn't trust every person claiming to see to not be blind.

If someone follows you and you end up being blind yourself, then both of you will fall into the ditch. How do you know that you can really see? Why is this information objective?