An Old School Catholic Message Board

"John Paul the Great"

Guest FiddlingFingers

Guest Eremite

[quote]There is a reason that was stopped.[/quote]

It didn't really "stop". It developed. The Church still relies on the faithful to advance the cause of canonization for particular persons. However, this has developed so that the Magisterium considers the voice of her children, and decides whether or not to officialy take up their cause.

The modern form of canonization deals with official veneration of a particular person in the Church's life. We need no permission to venerate people privately, or even with others (so long as we clearly recognize the final authority of the Magisterium, and do not venerate in the context of the Church's formal life, eg, the Liturgy).

I'm just happy that Pope Benedict 16 is pushing for the cause of Beatification of John Paul II.

I'm praying for a miracle to help speed up the process. :cyclops:

Q the Ninja

[quote name='Eremite' date='May 25 2005, 02:29 PM']
It didn't really "stop". It developed. The Church still relies on the faithful to advance the cause of canonization for particular persons. However, this has developed so that the Magisterium considers the voice of her children, and decides whether or not to officialy take up their cause.

The modern form of canonization deals with official veneration of a particular person in the Church's life. We need no permission to venerate people privately, or even with others (so long as we clearly recognize the final authority of the Magisterium, and do not venerate in the context of the Church's formal life, eg, the Liturgy). [/quote]
Actually, it did stop and developed as well. Now it takes the Bishop to push for the Canonization of a person, and I think even Beatification. Now the current process is infallible, whereas before it was very fallible. Yes, people petition their Bishops for the Beatification/Canonization of an individual, but it still takes the Bishops approval for the title of even Venerable.

I also believe the line is drawn at any public veneration of an individual...not just in the Liturgy.

mariahLVzJP2

hi im a first time writer...hehe.

but i totally agree with Eremite and Noel's Angel on this topic :cool:

and John Paul II was such a Holy man, I can't believe some of you have no faith that he is already in heaven :unsure: He was such a faithful servant, to doubt he is not there is kinda weird to me. i have faith in God that he is in heaven, and when he died he was recieved into the arms of the Lord and the Virgin Mary :) i think he got the bypass ticket to pass the purgatory and go straight to heaven man! if he was there (purgatory) it was probably fer like a few mins or a day or something, but im sure hes there now! sheesh, if some of y'all think he's hasnt earned his way to heaven then im worried about all of us!

Noel's angel

welcome to Phatmass mariahLvsJP2!!!!!! I love the name :)

I completely agree with you. Sure, the Church hasn't said he's a Saint yet but I was brought up to have faith in God. We only have to read Pope John Paul's writings to see he was a man of immense faith and a good man. I know what the others are trying to say-we cannot be certain he is in Heaven but I say 'why not give him the benefit of the doubt?' Trust that God rewards His faithful servants and that Pope John PaulII is with Him in Heaven.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='May 27 2005, 07:05 AM'] welcome to Phatmass mariahLvsJP2!!!!!! I love the name :)

I completely agree with you. Sure, the Church hasn't said he's a Saint yet but I was brought up to have faith in God. We only have to read Pope John Paul's writings to see he was a man of immense faith and a good man. I know what the others are trying to say-we cannot be certain he is in Heaven but I say 'why not give him the benefit of the doubt?' Trust that God rewards His faithful servants and that Pope John PaulII is with Him in Heaven. [/quote]
I'm not "trying to say" anything - I'm saying it - we cannot be certain of John Paul's situation right now.

We hope that he is in Heaven with Our Lord.

My question is what makes Pope John Paul II the great?

What has he done for the Church that would call him "the great"

Noel's angel

being great doesn't really require a qualification-it doesn't have specific criteria like Sainthood for example.

What about Pope Pius XII? If we cal JPII the Great, we should call Pope Pius XII the great too, or even better, canonize him. He is the most under rated pope and JPII is the most over rated.

How can we call a man who kisses the Koran, a great man?

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='May 27 2005, 05:36 PM'] What about Pope Pius XII? If we cal JPII the Great, we should call Pope Pius XII the great too, or even better, canonize him. He is the most under rated pope and JPII is the most over rated.

How can we call a man who kisses the Koran, a great man? [/quote]
Dude- You are out of line. Watch what you say, Indiana.

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='May 24 2005, 01:42 PM'] I hope that John Paul is in heaven, or at the very least he is in purgatory (which is all I can ever hope for), but until the Church declares that it to be mostly certain (which is all they can really do), we cannot be sure. No matter how we [i]feel[/i] about it. I have faith that God is all powerful and merciful and has His reasons for why He does things. Opinions matter not one wit. [/quote]
Hey Kilroy- If you're having trouble knowing if JPII made it to heaven, good luck on YOUR journey. Being Catholic and loyal to the Church doesn't mean we get silly. You can't get more Catholic than the Pope. He's in Heaven. Lighten up. :)

Guest Eremite

Pius XII will be a Saint. All in due time.

John Paul II had special affections for Pius XII. It's unfortunate he didn't get a chance to beatify him.

[quote]How can we call a man who kisses the Koran, a great man? [/quote]

Next thing you know he'll be eating with Prostitutes and sinners. -_-