An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Rosary as a necklace

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Rosary as a necklace?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I once talked to a nun about this and she told me that as long as your not wearing it for a "fashion" statement then its okay but if your USEING it as a pice of jewlery then no its not okay

In my opinion, to wear the rosary as it were a piece of jewelry is disrespectful. The rosary wasn't given to us by the Holy Mother as a piece of jewelry. It's our chain link to God and it should remain as such.

JRD,

You're missing the point. The rosary was instructed to be used not as jewelry. When Mary appeared and gave us the rosary she was seen holding one in her hands and not around her neck.

When men begin to distort the initial use of something so holy, and altar it for their own agrandizement then that spells trouble for the future of other holy tools God has given us through the centuries.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I, for one, refuse to secularize such a holy item by wearing it around my neck. If anything, I'll let it droop from my belt like our brothers and sisters in monestaries and convents.

Antipas,

I dont intend to "secularize" something so holy so beautiful and so powerful. My intentions are harmless, if a brother or sister can hang the rosary off there belts to show there belifes then why cant I or anybody else show people what we belive in by hanging it on our necks? are we not showing what we believe in also?

Iam quite cedrtain there is nothing wrong with wearing the rosary around your neck. As long as you respect the sanctity it represents. But then again, that respect of sactity applies wether it is around your neck, or in your pocket.

I challenge anyone to show wehre in the CCC or any other Papal doctrines that the rosary should not be worn...

JRD:

I'm sure your intentions are noble, but to wrap the rosary around your neck denotes that it's just another piece of Jewelry. When you wear the rosary around your neck it gives the wrong impression that it's just another piece of jewelry.

We need to abstain from giving anyone that impression. By default, we must persist with the same thread of consistency that the rosary has lead over the centuries. To altar it use in any way would be a threat to its future.

disturbedxfairy

i have a rosary necklace. (a rosary with a clasp so that one could wear it). i don't wear it though 'cause it's gold and i prefer silver. but i did some research on it when i got the necklace and found that there was not a problem with wearing the rosary as a necklace because it would be the same type of reminder that the rings, bracelets, etc. are. just as long as you don't wear it as a fashion statement and wear it for its use

How am I altering it's use? let people think what they want to think... looks can be deciving... if I know Its not just a pice of jewlry than what more can i do? if God knows Im wearing it for a fashin statement what more do you want?

I am not altering its use... Im not changing its prayers around or anything of the sort ... so plz explain to me more.

I would not wear one, but I think if someone wheres one with the right intent, and in the right place, it could be fine especially if one feels it reminds them to pray.