An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you cross yourself when you genuflect?

Dave

When you genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, do you cross yourself as you do it?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fidei Defensor

This is why I am glad that our tabernacle is directly behind the altar, on the high altar. Not confusing that way.

on Good Friday i was told by a *very* orthodox priest that people can genuflect out of reverence to the cross. (or as a sign of prayer)

Good Friday

[quote name='jezic']on Good Friday i was told by a *very* orthodox priest that people can genuflect out of reverence to the cross. (or as a sign of prayer)[/quote]
This doesn't seem to be entirely accurate if I'm understanding you right. If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that you were told on Good Friday that one can genuflect toward any cross at any time. According to the General Instruction on the Roman Missal, "a genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most Blessed Sacrament, as well as for the Holy Cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the beginning of the Easter Vigil" (GIRM, #274).

According to the GIRM, then, genuflection is reserved to the Blessed Sacrament -- except for after the Adoration of the Cross during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the Easter Vigil. But that does not mean that any cross, or any crucifix, should be honored with genuflection -- this is prescribed only for the Holy Cross on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

Of course, your priest may know something I don't know, and it's certainly not my intention to question his orthodoxy. Even if he is wrong, I'm sure that this is an unintentional error. My goal here is to answer the question, not to question anyone's orthodoxy.

I may also be misunderstanding what you said; perhaps you were referring only to Good Friday, and not to any cross or crucifix at any time.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 13 2005, 05:00 PM'][quote name='jezic']on Good Friday i was told by a *very* orthodox priest that people can genuflect out of reverence to the cross. (or as a sign of prayer)[/quote]
This doesn't seem to be entirely accurate if I'm understanding you right. If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that you were told on Good Friday that one can genuflect toward any cross at any time. According to the General Instruction on the Roman Missal, "a genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most Blessed Sacrament, as well as for the Holy Cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the beginning of the Easter Vigil" (GIRM, #274).

According to the GIRM, then, genuflection is reserved to the Blessed Sacrament -- except for after the Adoration of the Cross during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the Easter Vigil. But that does not mean that any cross, or any crucifix, should be honored with genuflection -- this is prescribed only for the Holy Cross on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

Of course, your priest may know something I don't know, and it's certainly not my intention to question his orthodoxy. Even if he is wrong, I'm sure that this is an unintentional error. My goal here is to answer the question, not to question anyone's orthodoxy.

I may also be misunderstanding what you said; perhaps you were referring only to Good Friday, and not to any cross or crucifix at any time.
[right][snapback]610683[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
He stated that it was on good friday in the begining of his post, and im sure he is talking about the cross that is venerated that day in the mass.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='immaculata' date='Jun 13 2005, 05:05 PM']Sometimes I genuflect in movie theatres...... oops. :blink:
[right][snapback]610695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

i genuflect and cross myself everytime i genuflect and i do it slowly so i have time to think of Christ. what do y'all do when the blessed sacrement is exposed? anything different? What i do is I kneel and bow while I was kneeling and cross my self all very slowly. how about you?

When Jesus is exposed for Adoration, I have always been told that you are to kneel on both knees. In general, I genuflect and cross my self and say (in my head) "Lord Jesus, strip me of myself and cloak me in You"

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 13 2005, 05:10 PM']When Jesus is exposed for Adoration, I have always been told that you are to kneel on both knees.  In general, I genuflect and cross my self and say (in my head) "Lord Jesus, strip me of myself and cloak me in You"
[right][snapback]610702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think technically, you are supposed to genuflect normally, but i also kneel on both knees. In reality, he deserves even more, like prostration

Yeah I think technically it is a regular genuflection, but I still do the double just to stick it to the man i suppose. Also, yes they were talking about the cross that is venerated on Good Friday.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:19 PM']If the tabernacle is not present we should bow towards the altar. Of course, where the tabernacle is present we should genuflect (bending down to one knee).

Personally, I make it a point to try and set an example for those around me when I genuflect, slowly making the sign of the cross and remaining on my knee while I silently say to myself, "My Lord and my God". I only do this because I myself was affected by watching a stranger do this years ago.
[right][snapback]610473[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RC boarding school!?! where did you go? A couple of my friends are at apostolic school run by the Legion, and I just got back from a Regnum Christi retreat!