An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you cross yourself when you genuflect?

Dave

When you genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, do you cross yourself as you do it?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FutureSoror

I was always taught to do a double-genuflection (both knees) when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. Many times I see people do prostrations in the adoration chapel. But yes, I usually cross myself when I genuflect.

When i genuflect i always cross myself because it reminds me of the persons of God and of his sacrifice and the gospel message and by my kneeling i humbly submit to him as he is present before me on his throne.

At my school we have a very nice quiet chapel with the tabernacle so i can go anytime during my school day to pray before the blessed sacrament it truly is a blessing.

DemonSlayer

I normally do, but how about when you come before the exposed Blessed Sacrament where you go down on both knees and bow?

I genuflect and make the sign of the cross whenever I enter into a pew. Sometimes, I feel like a knight swearing fealty. Whenever there's adoration I try to genuflect onto both knees, but somtimes I forget. Lately, I've been trying to work in a little prayer at the same time. Usually something like, "My Lord and My God." or "Lord, I am not worthy to be in your Prescence." or if I'm having a rough time, "Help me Lord, I cannot help myself."

Perhaps a bad time to think about it...but sometimes the though of Darth Vader kneeling in front of the hologram of the Emperor (Episode V maybe?) where he says "Command me my lord" enters my mind... :nerd:

yeah, i think dUSt hit it on the head for me. as ive grown in my faith, ive started to show it more outwardly. sometimes i would feel awkward to show reverence when most others around me wont, but i think of the example i am setting for them, and i feel more confident. i mean this without being prideful, but i hope even just one person can see the way a teenager in todays culture can turn to God as i have humbly learned to and be inspired to do the same

i like that idea of a short prayer while genuflecting to keep the action from being just a routine, and crossing urself just adds even more to it

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jun 14 2005, 10:51 AM']Perhaps a bad time to think about it...but sometimes the though of Darth Vader kneeling in front of the hologram of the Emperor (Episode V maybe?) where he says "Command me my lord" enters my mind... :nerd:
[right][snapback]611309[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think about it being like a knight very often anymore. When I first started making the effort to genuflect reverently, that's what entered my mind. It was kind of a musing at the time. You have a good point. It's in Episode V: The Empire Strikes back. I think he says, "What is thy bidding my Master?"

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 14 2005, 12:27 PM']"What is thy bidding my Master?"
[right][snapback]611358[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
But as long as you were saying this as you genuflect, I think it works

franciscanheart

I dont do it all in one fluid motion like some people do. I am not judging them just pointing out that some make it one fluid thing where they are down signed and up again in a matter of seconds. I genuflect when I enter the sactuary, always making note of where the tabernacle is before I do. Then I proceed and do much the same thing as dUSt. It has only been recently that I have done this very slowly.

I do have my reasons for it. I consider many to be able to genuflect, sign themselves and enter the pew and still be recognizing Christ present. I however must give myself time to allow the thought of Christ being there in front of me to sink in. It helps me to acknowledge Him more fully and to not let my mind concentrate on anything but Him.

I too was affected by someone doing this about five or six years ago and since then it has made me think about the way I respect the Lord when entering His house.

[quote name='Crispy' date='Jun 14 2005, 11:15 AM']yeah, i think dUSt hit it on the head for me.  as ive grown in my faith, ive started to show it more outwardly.  sometimes i would feel awkward to show reverence when most others around me wont, but i think of the example i am setting for them, and i feel more confident.  i mean this without being prideful, but i hope even just one person can see the way a teenager in todays culture can turn to God as i have humbly learned to and be inspired to do the same

i like that idea of a short prayer while genuflecting to keep the action from being just a routine, and crossing urself just adds even more to it
[right][snapback]611320[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ahh yes that is correct. Perhaps I was thinking of that Ghostbuster movie with the painting.

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:19 PM']If the tabernacle is not present we should bow towards the altar. Of course, where the tabernacle is present we should genuflect (bending down to one knee).

Personally, I make it a point to try and set an example for those around me when I genuflect, slowly making the sign of the cross and remaining on my knee while I silently say to myself, "My Lord and my God". I only do this because I myself was affected by watching a stranger do this years ago.
[right][snapback]610473[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

the way our parish is set up.....If I am walking acorss the front of the Chruch I always bow to the altar....then when I get over to the tabernacle I genuflect

In front of the tabernacle, I genuflect on one knee, crossing myself when I hit the ground. In front of the monstrance, I kneel fully, bow, and cross myself as I bow.