An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you cross yourself when you genuflect?

Dave

When you genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, do you cross yourself as you do it?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

ours is that way too but i remember when i went to wyd in canada the little church we were at the week before had it way off to the side. it was cool to have the tabernacle be our welcome though (there was a small entrance in between the tabernacle and altar area). many people there were impressed at us always genuflecting before it, saying they often forgot about such reverence but that each and every one of us took the time to stop and wait for our turn to do it.

its amazing what such a small gesture on our part (in our own desire for reverence) can do in regards to witnessing to others. its awesome.

Noel's angel

yeah, we have a little area which is behind a big glass bit. Maybe i should post a pic...

Noel's angel

i did post pics of ours, but every time i post a pic, it usually results in the thread plummeting to the bottom of the page, so i deleted them

franciscanheart

awwww :( dont say that!! we wub you. see: :wub:

apparently it was like required to have the tabernacle hidden when not celebrating the Mass after a certain year. i dont know all the details but it was required based on the year you built a church. i hadnt heard of this before going to SEAS in Keller. They have a temp wall thats like stain glass or something that rolls in front of it.

Our tabernacle is always exposed. It sits just behind the altar and is the central focus of the church.

Noel's angel

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847010/9055049941dd2b16fc87823826e5f8afe29d5e544009baae41970e04.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847010/521445547b17dc07428bff24daff78b6e5a074dee2274490f73b4863.jpg[/img]

^_^

Genuflection is not the norm in the Byzantine Churches. In place of genuflection the lesser or greater metania is made, depending upon the liturgical season or the particular feast. Making the lesser metania involves a profound bow in which the back of the fingers of the right hand are touched to the ground, and then as the person returns to a standing posture he crosses himself. Making the greater metania involves a full prostration, where the person goes down onto his knees and then places his hands upon the ground in front of himself, and then he touches his forehead to the ground between his hands. Both the lesser and greater metania are often made in groups of three.