An Old School Catholic Message Board

Da Vinci Code

MC Just

Yeah...I also read it. I was surprised that people could actually beliveve it though. Then again, looking at our world maybe its understandable :wacko:

My friends all thought it was soooo good...when I read it, yeah I couldn't put it down, I did get caught up in it, but at the same time, my head was thinking what?!? every so often. I think that Dan Brown has an interesting imagination... ;)

I've read a couple of his other books and they are all sooo similar that its freaky. Full of very attractive and intelligent people who solve a murder while the bad guy is the SAME type of person in each book.

Those books get on my nerves.... :angry:

Edited by memtherose

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/DaVincde.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/DaVincde.htm[/url]

This is a work of fiction.....there is no truth to it whatsoever.

Don't worry about it. Heck, I am a member of the Work and read the book. I wasn't offended, I thought it was a good mystery.....and all it did was mix Catholic language with fiction.

Not a big deal.

I actually liked the book, it's like my favorite book and i no, its a work of fiction and i take comfort in knowing that half of the trash written about Catholicism in the book is a bunch of lies b/c i wouldn't be able 2 believe it if it was true. I think ppl have 2 understand that it's fiction and that the religious history in the book is not true. Especially since, where it points out that everyone except Christians believed in the sacred feminine and gave women their rights, it was actually true that the Greeks oppressed their women as well, at least the Ancient Athenians(sp?) did. but i do wanna c the movie:)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

my priest was saying his homily and he said something like this

Not everything you hear is true
like the Da Vinci code its just a book people just a book

everyone laughed it was funny

but i hated that book it rocked my faith for a while until i read a book proving it wrong. what really makes me angry is that people (like myself) believe that garbage and that Dan brown would lie (or do a horribile job reaserching before he wrote the book).

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 26 2005, 10:21 PM']my priest was saying his homily and he said something like this

Not everything you hear is true
like the Da Vinci code its just a book people just a book

everyone laughed it was funny

but i hated that book it rocked my faith for a while until i read a book proving it wrong. what really makes me angry is that people (like myself) believe that garbage and that Dan brown would lie (or do a horribile job reaserching before he wrote the book).
[right][snapback]624861[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What is there to research? It is a work of fiction....there was never any preclusion to it being accurate in any semblance. I would be more concerned with the writings of Greeley or Cornwell.

Guest JeffCR07

Well Cam, while I agree with you for the most part (its a book people, a fun, fanciful, [i]entirely fictional[/i] book) Brown does make a thinly veiled fact claim (open your book to I believe the 5th page, before the story even begins, and you will see a claim that all architecture, [i]documents[/i] and rituals are fact).

While scholars such as yourself will clearly see that such a thing doesn't mean that Brown's "conclusions" are fact, many ordinary people read that, think back to the story, and say "hey, if those documents are real, then it seems to me like this could actually be right."

But overall, its a fun, albeit ridiculous, book.

I think Dan Brown has inadvertantly done us a big favor. The fact that so many folk take his fiction as "fact" demonstrates how poorly Catholics are catechized.

God Conquers

The problem with Dan Brown's book is that he confuses fiction and non-fiction.

He says his book is fiction. And it is found in the fiction section.

But a preface in the book sways otherwise, trying to found the story on so called "fact".

This is not cool.

I have mixed feelings about Dan Brown's books as works of literature. They are incredibly engrossing and fun to read, but his writing style is so melodramatic and his metaphors so laboured that they become a bit annoying. Also, I agree that after reading a couple, you can figure out the baddie well before the end because the plot is basically the same in all of them.

I wouldn't worry about the DVC corrupting people though - it's just a novel and a modicum of research shows the content is absolute rubbish. He only says at the start that the organisations, works of art, etc are real - not that the whole thing is. Although, it turns out that the Priory of Sion is a hoax and invented by someone who wanted to prove a connection to the French royalty.

God Conquers

[quote]it's just a novel and a modicum of research shows the content is absolute rubbish[/quote]

The problem here is that a modicum of research is a modicum too much for the majority of casual readers.

It's the new form of gnosticism. The idea that knowledge, often secret knowledge, is the only means of salvation.

Scary thing....a few few years back I read the Devils apocryphra on the advise of .....well, nevermind who.

I was so horrified in reading it. Making God out to be this horrible monster and glorifying the devil.
The sad thing is that there was no evidence as to whether it was fiction or non-fiction. Usually you see this on the spine of the cover or somewhere in the front.
The author claims it is 'his life story' and here is the saddest part.....people believe him! That he was once Catholic but now has 'seen the light'.
I did some checkin on the web and there are folks who want to start a religion based on this book.
I threw it back at the person and told them never, NEVER to do that again. They laughed. really. not kidding.
Their response was...."What if?"
Yeah, so God is some spirit sucking monster and Lazarus is still walking the earth waiting for Christ to come back so he can take his revenge on Him.

Yuck.
Disgusting.

This thread should be retitled as "most disgusting book in print"