An Old School Catholic Message Board

Da Vinci Code

MC Just

i think history channel rocks

I swear the da vinci code got my freind away from the faith- she read it and started beleiving in it and her faith just crumbled from there- it was the begining of the end

people who dont have real strong faith will take it as moral truth

we need to burn them all

ill bring the matches whos got the gas? :D

Semperviva

[quote name='Deeds' date='Jun 27 2005, 03:19 PM']I have mixed feelings about Dan Brown's books as works of literature. They are incredibly engrossing and fun to read, but his writing style is so melodramatic and his metaphors so laboured that they become a bit annoying. Also, I agree that after reading a couple, you can figure out the baddie well before the end because the plot is basically the same in all of them.

I wouldn't worry about the DVC corrupting people though - it's just a novel and a modicum of research shows the content is absolute rubbish. He only says at the start that the organisations, works of art, etc are real - not that the whole thing is. Although, it turns out that the Priory of Sion is a hoax and invented by someone who wanted to prove a connection to the French royalty.
[right][snapback]625499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yes.."a modicum of research shows"...it [b]is[/b] complete carp...but [b]you[/b] have research access in the right places..honestly if you go to the library and look up the historic backround on this stuff you'll find carp history books [b]backing up[/b] carp fiction...for many examples..hitler's pope, constantine's sword, [i]any bestselling non-fiction on the new york times[/i] lists for ex..in this instance...[b]holy blood, holy grail[/b] which lOts of ppl read a[i]aafter[/i] davinci code...but my point here is...DVC starts bad bad chain reactions....it is NOT just a novel....YOU CAN"T EVER SAY THAT ABOUT A BOOK...as fictional as fiction gets..it still AFFECTS ppl's thoughts, LIKE ALL MEDIA!!!!!!!! (plus i don't think there is anything fictional about fiction except the names of the ppl in all honesty, but thats not the point of this thread).... most ppl won't really get the real truth when they research...for tons of catholics who are only so-so in their faith DVC is acutally kindof a shipwreck...when they think......in back of their minds .......so maybe catholicism is the hoax .....

uuuuuuuuhm, why dee heck duz it say C-A-R-P, hello spell check where are you?!!? ok well, i'm weak mind trying to express itself using fowl words? is that the point of being censored?? what BS! :D

Edited by Semperviva

Semperviva

[quote name='curtins' date='Jul 2 2005, 09:26 PM']

I swear the da vinci code got my freind away from the faith- she read it and started beleiving in it and her faith just crumbled from there- it was the begining of the end

people who dont have real strong faith will take it as moral truth

[right][snapback]630328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[i]SEE ABOVE FOR VERIFICATION OF MY THEORY, HAAHAHHA
OH YEAH AND

"LET YOUR YES MEAN YES AND YOUR NO MEAN NO"[/i] OOPSIE SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK THERE BUDDY BOY ugh! ok all good now

toledo_jesus

my mom had a harback copy. I took a dagger and scrawled "blasphemy" on the cover and put the dust jacket back on. We'll see if anyone finds it in 20 years.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 3 2005, 02:23 AM']yes.."a modicum of research shows"...it [b]is[/b] complete carp...but [b]you[/b] have research access in the right places..honestly if you go to the library and look up the historic backround on this stuff you'll find carp history books [b]backing up[/b] carp fiction...for many examples..hitler's pope, constantine's sword, [i]any bestselling non-fiction on the new york times[/i] lists for ex..in this instance...[b]holy blood, holy grail[/b] which lOts of ppl read a[i]aafter[/i] davinci code...but my point here is...DVC starts bad bad chain reactions....it is NOT just a novel....YOU CAN"T EVER SAY THAT ABOUT A BOOK...as fictional as fiction gets..it still AFFECTS ppl's thoughts, LIKE ALL MEDIA!!!!!!!! (plus i don't think there is anything fictional about fiction except the names of the ppl in all honesty, but thats not the point of this thread).... most ppl won't really get the real truth when they research...for tons of catholics who are only so-so in their faith DVC is acutally kindof a shipwreck...when they think......in back of their minds .......so maybe catholicism is the hoax .....

uuuuuuuuhm, why dee heck duz it say C-A-R-P, hello spell check where are you?!!? ok well, i'm weak mind trying to express itself using fowl words? is that the point of being censored?? what BS! :D
[right][snapback]630471[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

it doesn't help that Protestant historians in the 19th century took a special glee in maligning the Church. Ever hear about the 90 million people put to death in the Inquisition? thank the Victorians.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 26 2005, 06:59 PM']This is a work of fiction.....there is no truth to it whatsoever.

Don't worry about it.  Heck, I am a member of the Work and read the book.  I wasn't offended, I thought it was a good mystery.....and all it did was mix Catholic language with fiction.

Not a big deal.
[right][snapback]624652[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just a reminder......you guys are taking this way too seriously. Defacing a book with a dagger? :freak:

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 4 2005, 06:04 PM']Just a reminder......you guys are taking this way too seriously.  Defacing a book with a dagger?   :freak:
[right][snapback]631643[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blush: I was in a mood.

[color=purple] On the positive side, we would all like the Church to be more orthodox and it's possible that the church will shrink because of the wanderings of lost Catholics. But then we'll have a core Church of hard-core orthodoxy and Catholicism will naturally draw people in. It'll just explode! If that is meant to happen, then in a way, the Da Vinci Code might be speeding up/playing a part in that process. Allowing the fallen to fall and inspire orthodox Catholics to really learn and defend their faith, so that, in the long run, all people may be drawn to the Truth and Beauty of Christ's Church. :)[/color]

Semperviva

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 4 2005, 05:04 PM']Just a reminder......you guys are taking this way too seriously.  Defacing a book with a dagger?  :freak:
[/quote]
...ok that was kinda a little extreme....haha...but no, u can't dismiss books so easily..books can influence entire generations way of thinking...one book has that ability...fiction or not...

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 5 2005, 07:23 AM']...ok that was kinda a little extreme....haha...but no, u can't dismiss books so easily..books can  influence entire generations way of thinking...one book has that ability...fiction or not...
[right][snapback]631977[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Very occasionally. You are talking about the exception, not the norm. You are giving the DaVinci Code too much credit. It isn't like Dan Brown is Shakespere or Walt Whitman.

Semperviva

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 5 2005, 07:18 AM']Very occasionally.  You are talking about the exception, not the norm.  You are giving the DaVinci Code too much credit.  It isn't like Dan Brown is Shakespere or Walt Whitman.
[right][snapback]631994[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
........doesn't matter if he's shakespeare or not..... da vinci code is not the norm. it is/has been extremely popular for about 4 years and i am not giving dan brown too much credit.....i know 8 year olds who are reading this book, thats not the norm....and its not very occasionally, its lOts of times in history when ONE popular book affects ideas and the way ppl live...

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 4 2005, 07:04 PM']Just a reminder......you guys are taking this way too seriously.  Defacing a book with a dagger?  :freak:
[/quote]

I'm going to have to second Cam here. Frankly, this thread is getting a little scary.

Semperviva

well that[i] iis[/i] scary..all i'm sayin- don't underestimate the power of the media on ppl...burning a book will get us nowhere...and honestly even if it is an interesting read, thats kinda like saying the movie dogma has a good screenplay, wheer alanis morisette plays God...it may be a real real good book/good movie, but if its outright against our faith we shoulden't really advocate it-- -read it sure, if you want to and there is nothing better to read, whatever- you know its not true so it doesn't matter really cuz u know the truth... we should just recognize its harmless to us maybe but not to the majority of catholics...