An Old School Catholic Message Board

Excerpt from Billy Graham's final speech

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

So who else sees something deeply theologically wrong here?

"We are Christians maybe. We go to church. We've been baptized, we've been confirmed. But deep inside we need something else, and that something else can be brought about by Jesus," he told the crowd."

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 25 2005, 07:45 AM']So who else sees something deeply theologically wrong here?

"We are Christians maybe. We go to church. We've been baptized, we've been confirmed. But deep inside we need something else, and that something else can be brought about by Jesus," he told the crowd."
[right][snapback]622772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't see anything wrong with this. Of course, Billy sees as a Prottestan--- who doesn't have the Eucharist, the other 4 sacraments, the fullness of truth- there must be "[i]something else[/i]" brought about by Jesus, I think. Incidentally, a good friend of mine's Dad became Catholic, because of, Billy Graham...LOL...

Edited by Semperviva

Guest Eremite

While a Catholic would probably frame his comments from a sacramental perspective, his point is well taken. Baptism and confirmation aren't magical ceremonies. They give us grace, but we must maintain and cultivate that grace throughout our life, and draw deeper and deeper into the mystery of the Holy Trinity. Otherwise, even though we went through the rote actions, Jesus will say on that day, "Depart from me, for I never knew you."

[quote]Incidentally, a good friend of mine's Dad became Catholic, because of, Billy Graham...LOL...[/quote]

I did too! (Kinda). I had bought his book "How To Be Born Again" one day (I had no idea what "born again" meant; I thought it was just some cool psychological thing). So it sat on my shelf, and when God started to stir in my soul, I happened to look through it, and was amazed at his explanation that repentance means more than just saying you're sorry; it means completely changing your life around. Thanks to him, I did just that soon, and went to confession.

homeschoolmom

I don't see anything wrong with Graham's statement. How many of us know Catholics who were baptized and confirmed but never really embraced the faith that they'd been taught? How many "lukewarm" Catholics (and Protestants, for that matter) lack that daily decision to follow Christ and love Him and worship Him?

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 25 2005, 08:20 AM']They give us grace, but we must maintain and cultivate that grace throughout our life, and draw deeper and deeper into the mystery of the Holy Trinity. Otherwise, even though we went through the rote actions, Jesus will say on that day, "Depart from me, for I never knew you."

I did too! (Kinda). I had bought his book "How To Be Born Again" one day (I had no idea what "born again" meant; I thought it was just some cool psychological thing). So it sat on my shelf, and when God started to stir in my soul, I happened to look through it, and was amazed at his explanation that repentance means more than just saying you're sorry; it means completely changing your life around. Thanks to him, I did just that soon, and went to confession.
[right][snapback]622794[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

LOL, exactly. In this case he actually found flaws in Billy Graham's books, or at least issues or confusion, wrote to him asking why Protestant and not Catholic is true in letters, as in he tried to get Billy Graham to answer and demonstrate which religion is the true one instituted by Christ...and Billy coulden't do it...he simply had no answers and told him so..I like your story...and your post from the Suicide thread, too...

Edited by Semperviva

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 25 2005, 07:45 AM']So who else sees something deeply theologically wrong here?

[right][snapback]622772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If we've been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we [b]are[/b] Christians. Not [i]maybe[/i]. Many Protestants recognize the sacramental nature of Baptism too, but whether they/we recognize it or not, Baptism is a free gift of Grace that gives us Salvific Grace of the Holy Spirit. We don't need 'something else' because the triune nature of God, is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Billy's whole statement is theologically wrong and confused in error and it would take a number of paragraphs to spell it all out. Poor Billy. He doesn't realize Christians are given so much more than he dares to dream.

Edited by jasJis

there must be "something else" brought about by Jesus.......

something else...for ex, the pope, the eucharist, the rest of the sacraments, etc :D He's perfectly theologically correct.

Is it really, really his final speech?

Or is he gonna do a comeback tour, like the Who or the Rolling Stones?

Brother Adam

[quote name='jasJis' date='Jun 25 2005, 11:06 AM']If we've been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we [b]are[/b] Christians.  Not [i]maybe[/i].  Many Protestants recognize the sacramental nature of Baptism too, but whether they/we recognize it or not, Baptism is a free gift of Grace that gives us Salvific Grace of the Holy Spirit.  We don't need 'something else' because the triune nature of God, is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Billy's whole statement is theologically wrong and confused in error and it would take a number of paragraphs to spell it all out.  Poor Billy.  He doesn't realize Christians are given so much more than he dares to dream.
[right][snapback]622871[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for seeing the problems :)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

when John Paul II died i heard billy Graham on tv. he started to cry when asked if he thought that Pope John Paul II was in heaven. He said yes, and that he doubted his own salvation. it made me realise that the holy spirit was working through him. He had not recieved all the gifts but he obviously loved JP2. He said he was a man of peace who (like himself) believed in the cross. he is still misgudied but he has atained some aspect of the truth.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I found something wrong when I heard he said that Bill Clinton would make a great evangelist...