An Old School Catholic Message Board

Excerpt from Billy Graham's final speech

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

lol. okay, yes you can dream, and that would be wonderful if he was converting, it would be a massive win for the Church, but I'm probably doubting it. Fox News typically does not twist words like that.

IcePrincessKRS

Just out of curiosity, do we actually EXPECT what Billy Graham says to be theologically sound?

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Jul 1 2005, 10:07 AM']Just out of curiosity, do we actually EXPECT what Billy Graham says to be theologically sound?
[right][snapback]629362[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, I don't expect him to state things in a way that conforms to Catholic doctrine. So you do have a point.

:cyclops:

[quote name='thedude' date='Jun 26 2005, 10:33 AM']I found something wrong when I heard he said that Bill Clinton would make a great evangelist...
[right][snapback]624235[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This bothered me as well.

Good Friday

You know, you can say what you want about Billy Graham -- and I see that many of you have -- but the fact is that he has brought many people to Christianity who otherwise would not have come. No, it was not Catholic Christianity, and therefore not the fullness of Christianity. But it begs the question: Isn't a slice of Christianity better than none at all? Isn't a glimpse of Christ better than being blind to him forever?

Billy Graham is not the enemy, and I don't think he deserves to be treated the way some on this thread have treated him. What, pray tell, do you think a Protestant who came to Christianity through one of Billy Graham's crusades would think of the Catholic Church if he or she stumbled upon this post?

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jul 1 2005, 07:20 PM']You know, you can say what you want about Billy Graham -- and I see that many of you have -- but the fact is that he has brought many people to Christianity who otherwise would not have come.  No, it was not Catholic Christianity, and therefore not the fullness of Christianity.  But it begs the question: Isn't a slice of Christianity better than none at all?  Isn't a glimpse of Christ better than being blind to him forever?

Billy Graham is not the enemy, and I don't think he deserves to be treated the way some on this thread have treated him.  What, pray tell, do you think a Protestant who came to Christianity through one of Billy Graham's crusades would think of the Catholic Church if he or she stumbled upon this post?
[right][snapback]629684[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well of course practicing the virtue of religion is better than living in an irreligious manner; and as far as it concerns Protestantism, it is true that it retains some elements of the Catholic faith and it has that in its favor. It is only in its negations of Catholic truth that there is a problem.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jul 1 2005, 10:20 PM']You know, you can say what you want about Billy Graham -- and I see that many of you have -- but the fact is that he has brought many people to Christianity who otherwise would not have come.  No, it was not Catholic Christianity, and therefore not the fullness of Christianity.  But it begs the question: Isn't a slice of Christianity better than none at all?  Isn't a glimpse of Christ better than being blind to him forever?

Billy Graham is not the enemy, and I don't think he deserves to be treated the way some on this thread have treated him.  What, pray tell, do you think a Protestant who came to Christianity through one of Billy Graham's crusades would think of the Catholic Church if he or she stumbled upon this post?
[right][snapback]629684[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I hope you didn't mean me... I wasn't trying to be rude in my statement, I was just trying to show that I think its a little silly to complain about someone's "theological unsoundness" when they clearly don't have the fullness of truth. We shouldn't expect them be on the mark when they preach for that same reason.

Anyway, Apotheoun gave a far better answer to your questions that I can. :)